Sign in to follow this  
allen41547

speed up ie with cable and dsl

Most cable and dsl users have a few second delay when opening internet explorer, detecting proxy settings, to disable auto proxy settings go to control panel, internet options,connections,lan settings, and uncheck auto detect settings. ALLEN

Most cable and dsl users have a few second delay when opening internet explorer, detecting proxy settings, to disable auto proxy settings go to control panel, internet options,connections,lan settings, and uncheck auto detect settings. ALLEN

You mean "Tools" in internet explorer, not control panel? Don't you?

There is no internet options in control panel.

There is also an icon in Control Panel for Internet Options - either will work ;0)

Debbie

NO, he was correct, In Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, & Windows 2000 Pro you can go to "Internet Options" from the "Control Panel". You are also correct in that you can also get to the exact same properties settings through the "Tools" menu of Internet Explorer.

I have never used auto detect settings and even Comcast makes sure that is unchecked when they set the cable modem service for high speed up, so that is a waste of time. I don't know anyone that uses that with high speed.

Ernie

Hello alll--thankyou allen I did what you said and OMG the load speed is way way faster and for those of you who also replied--I a) used control panel -Internet options and B) I havecomcast and they had me check the automatic settings and believe me its alot faster without automatic being checked

againg thanks allen--for those of us that are self taught and always learning you are :geezer::shifty: a great help!!!!!!!

Hello alll--thankyou allen I did what you said and OMG the load speed is way way faster and for those of you who also replied--I a) used control panel -Internet options and B) I havecomcast and they had me check the automatic settings and believe me its alot faster without automatic being checked

againg thanks allen--for those of us that are self taught and always learning you are :geezer::shifty: a great help!!!!!!!

By the way, if you have the original IE icon on your desktop, that is, the one put there by Windows (like My Computer and the Recycle Bin) rather than a user-created shortcut, you may right-click the icon and select Properties to get to Internet Options also. I say "if" since there are multiple ways to add and remove this shortcut.

The same right-click followed by selecting properties will open various other windows depending upon the Windows-created shortcut selected. Doing this on My Computer, for example will open System Properties. On Network Neighbourhood, it will open Network Connections (I think).

HTH

Edited by rebound

B) Thanks made a big difference. Especially when using IE 7 Beta 3 As for Comcast I had never been told this. I have used Comcast 2 years and have had there techs in my home checking my system.

BTW. This same tip also works for Firefox - Go to "Options" from the "Tools" drop down, "General" tab, click on Connection Settings and select the "Direct connection to the internet" radio button.

Dan

Allen,

My connection setting always goes back to the proxy one. I continually uncheck it and make sure all are unchecked, then press apply. The computer continually re-checks the proxy setting option! What could be causing this to happen?

Thanks,

sbulger

:wp:

If you are running connection software provided by your ISP, that would be my first guess as to what keeps changing it back.

Thank you for the tip, Allen.

I am giving it a try today.

Keep these tips coming in Forum Friends - I find them very useful.

:)

Thanx for the tip Allen :clap: I've been racking my brains for the last 2 weeks, trying to figure out why my browser was looking for a proxy when I had don't look for a proxy checked! :pullhair:

By the way, if you have the original IE icon on your desktop, that is, the one put there by Windows (like My Computer and the Recycle Bin) rather than a user-created shortcut, you may right-click the icon and select Properties to get to Internet Options also. I say "if" since there are multiple ways to add and remove this shortcut.

The same right-click followed by selecting properties will open various other windows depending upon the Windows-created shortcut selected. Doing this on My Computer, for example will open System Properties. On Network Neighbourhood, it will open Network Connections (I think).

HTH

thankyou ;););)

Thanks for the input. This did speed up my IE, never knew this.

IE Beta 7 Is Allready unchecked,Maybe I got two go back 2 IE 6, Cause it takes So Freaking

Long to load a page like 15 sec here,Im using Shaw Secure,Could be my firewall

Any ideas,TY... :crash:

Edited by AMD64

I took a look and found it unchecked already. I tried to check that setting to see the difference. I experienced no difference at all. :huh:

IE6.

Edited by Viking

Most people do not have the auto settings checked for IE and this does not guarantee it will open it up any faster. I dont mind waiting an extra second or two when the anti-phishing filter protects me in the first place on CA and the built in one by IE 7. FIrefox is simply usless and inferior in this way and more to, and that is why I am strictly Microsoft programs for the most part. Visya is also going to replace XP eventually because in the long run 64-bit is where it is going. THe CPU's are 64-bit anyways!