Sign in to follow this  
volt

Strange File

Anyone know why I have a file that seems related to real networks and grokster on my machine??

Its in IEs activeX folder,,and I have never had "real" anything installed and never had anything from grokster or any other file sharing software installed.

The url below is listed in the file,,but leads staight to a download.

http://www.grokster.com/rdx/RdxIE.cab

Seriously though, the only way I can see that those ActiveX controls got on your machine without actually having visited their sites is someplace you've been put them there without your knowledge. Security settings? Either that, or someone in your household has been using your computer while you were away..... :mrsgreen: -kd5-

NOBODY touches my machine,,so if it got there it was me who let it get there,,I am going to delete it and it will either break something or it won't and It will be gone,,just can't figure out why its there is all?? :angry::mrgreen: v

:mrgreen: Thats why I love PC-cillen it has an option," Web Trap" that stops malicious Java and ActiveX programs from entering your computer. :D

Well it wasn't malicious I don't think,,it just looked stupid installed there,,I don't run either of those outfits software,,the damn things gone now tho :mrgreen: v

If it's just in your Temp Internet Files then most likely the CAB file was just downloaded and you said NO to the certificate, if you saw one at all. If you see it installed in Tools | Internet Options | General | Settings | View Objects then it DID get installed through an Internet download. Usually you would have had to see a certificate, but if you have anyone listed in Tools | Internet Options | Content | Security, any content from those publishers could get through without you seeing a certificate. Depending on your Tools | Internet Options | Security settings it may have downloaded but not run.

Thanks dave!! it was in Tools | Internet Options | General | Settings | View Objects

"Was" is the key word here,,for it is no more for this world :mrgreen: v

Having taken a look at my "objects" as per Volt can someone tell me what this file is:WMVAX.INF :blink:

Thanks.

I have 31 objects in there and two are file folders :

CONFLICT.1 - contains diskhealth & pcpitstop

CONFLICT.2 - contains 2 diskhealth

what are these? are they really conflicts?

* geez - sounds dumb doesn't it ? *S*

oh well ...

It may be a remnant of Online Services.

Check your Registry.

I

Edited by Iain

Contents of RdxIE.cab : ie_grokster.dll

May wanna search for that file as well :mrgreen:

I did just now Randy,,not found!! :tup: v

grokster stinks as a matter of form. Get rid of it. Edited by Iain

i only got 2 in mine and it will be remaining that way unless i allow the pitstop test one then it would be 3 but i dont bother with tests no more.

mmanya you have 31?? Did you accept them all ?? :o

Keith

Edited by doofus