Sign in to follow this  
indy

Gain hard drive space

Delete your old Windows Update uninstall files.

I got back almost 1/2 gig after following the advice in this link. :tup:

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

THANK YOU. Could have saved a few bucks spent on a big external drive for pics and music files had I known this. Bought it too soon (i.e. before prices dropped so dramatically as lately). Wasn't sure that it was safe to rid drive of these and too busy to go asking around. Now will do this and stretch things out a bit. :clap:

Just like to highlight one point from that link,

4. Use similar procedure to delete uninstall files for the updates.

The updates will be in this format "$NTUninstall********"

Do NOT delete "$hf_mig$"

The reason for leaving that folder alone is that it contains all of your Windows Update information. If you delete the folder or any of the files inside of it the next time you go to Windows Update you will be told you need to install them again (same applies to the next time Automatic Updates queries the WU server), even though they are already installed.

I'm still a newby when it comes to this kind of stuff and I sure don't want to be deleting something I shouldn't.

In the instructions on this after deleting it says "Then go to Add/Remove Programs. Click Service Pack 1, there will be an error"

Can someone tell me exactly what I should click and whether or not it is a double click ? Am I clicking to remove SP1.

When it says "Use similar procedure for uninstall files" what am I clicking on the Add/Remove screen for these files? Clarification would be appreciated.

I'm still a newby when it comes to this kind of stuff and I sure don't want to be deleting something I shouldn't.

In the instructions on this after deleting it says "Then go to Add/Remove Programs. Click Service Pack 1, there will be an error"

Can someone tell me exactly what I should click and whether or not it is a double click ? Am I clicking to remove SP1.

When it says "Use similar procedure for uninstall files" what am I clicking on the Add/Remove screen for these files? Clarification would be appreciated.

If someone simply says 'click', it means singe click on the left button. Usually double click, right click, or click n drag will be specified as such. Anytime you don't feel comfortable and clear about instructions, it's best not to use the tweak. Your right to question this.

A safer way to do this is to go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr . If there are junk service pack files, they will be listed. If no junk, there will not be a catagory for them. I can't tell you what the listing is cause I got no junk service pack or update files.