Sign in to follow this  
Hawk

Safe Mode

In some cases dealing with malware, you may be advised by a Member to "Boot into Safe Mode" & run a certain malware program. I realize that most Users can do that without a problem. However, I have seen posts where the User has a problem doing this & I thought I would pass along this link to a small "Stand-alone" program that will make it a lot easier.

I have tested it & had no problems. It is called BootSafe. Hope someone will have a use for it. :)

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

Decided to try that yesterday on my backup Windows 98se computer. I replaced the 4.3gb hard drive that was in it with a 30gb drive and had to use a PCI ATA Controller card. With the controller card in place I couldn't boot into safe mode no matter how many times I tried. This application solved that problem.

Thanks Hawk... ;) -kd5-

Decided to try that yesterday on my backup Windows 98se computer. I replaced the 4.3gb hard drive that was in it with a 30gb drive and had to use a PCI ATA Controller card. With the controller card in place I couldn't boot into safe mode no matter how many times I tried. This application solved that problem.

Thanks Hawk... ;) -kd5-

You're quite welcome kd. Happy it worked out for you. :mrgreen:

Regards,

This one has my 5 stars! I've had the program on all my machines for quite sometime.

The other day I had to boot into safemode on one of them, then I was stuck and couldn't get out of it trying to reboot normally. I went into Programs, clicked on BootSafe, chose to reboot and I was out of the loopback :mrgreen:

Thanks Hawk for that link. Havent had to use it yet but saved to my doocuments as there have been times it would have come in handy! :tup:

I use a different method for XP.

Click Start, Run, type boot.ini, click OK. The file should look like this -

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Copy and paste the last line to make a duplicate,. Add /safeboot:minimal to the duplicate line, and change Professional (or Home) to Safe Mode.. Change timeout to a smaller value. The result should be similar to this -

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal

Save the file (you'll probably first need to clear the Read-Only attribute in the file properties). When you restart the computer, the OS menu will briefly appear, with a Safe Mode start option.

Edited by TomGL2

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your post. :)

Please read my post at the beginning of this thread & I think you will see when I refer to Safe Mode, "I realize that most Users can do that without a problem."

I am not sure I would recommend that new Users make registry modifications. Having said that, I do however, think your suggestion may be of advantage to advanced Users. :mrgreen:

Regards,

I am not sure I would recommend that new Users make registry modifications.

Neither would I, so I didn't.  Boot.ini isn't part of the Registry, but is just an ordinary text file, which is why Windows opens it in Notepad. This is just a quick fix I devised for machines that are reluctant to start in Safe mode, and is unfailing simple to apply (you don't even need to be an administrator). The only actually necessary step is to add append safeboot:minimal to the existing line or its duplicate; all else is ornamental.

So long as the user avoids altering anythng (other than timeout, which is optional), this is a perfectly safe method. Mind you, there will always be some fool who just has to know what happens when you change disk(0) to disk(1) ...

I am not sure I would recommend that new Users make registry modifications.

Neither would I, so I didn't.  Boot.ini isn't part of the Registry, but is just an ordinary text file, which is why Windows opens it in Notepad.

You are quite correct....my apologies. :beer:

This is another way to boot into safe mode if it doesn't work the regular way:

XP users, enter MSCONFIG in the Start menu's Run dialog, then click on the BOOT.INI tab and check the /SAFEBOOT box. Reboot to enter Safe mode. Repeat the process and uncheck the box when you're through with Safe Mode.

One caveat: Don't experiment with the other settings on this tab. You could wind up unable to get back into MSConfig to undo your changes.

I prefer BootSafe, tho' :mrgreen:

** Easiest Meathod **

During the BIOS POST test... (right when you turn on your computer)

Semi-Rapidly press the F8 key until the "Windows Advanced Startup Options" menu appears...

Then select how you want it to boot...

Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ networking(NT)... etc...

This is a lot faster and easier than installing anything extra onto your compter (because its built into the windows startup) or editing the boot.ini file, wich just adds one extra step to and a longer start-up time.

:)