Sign in to follow this  
Ronbo

Folder Thumbnails

Do you have a lot of music or picture folders on your computer? Do you set custom thumbnails to aid in identifying what is in your folders and are you tired of going into the folders properties and setting a customized thumbnail view for your folders whenever you reformat or change computers? I do, I am and I learned a simple little trick that gets rid of this hassle once and for all. It works with Windows XP for sure and maybe other versions of Windows as well (I never used an earlier version of Windows so I do not know for sure).

The simple little trick I learned is that Windows looks for any .jpg image named "folder" (no exclamation marks) and automatically uses that image as the folders thumbnail photo when in thumbnail view. This works great in helping you find the music or photos you are looking for at a glance and even works when the photos are on a removable media like a CD/DVD.

The best thing about customizing your folder this way is that once you do this, you will never haver to customize that folder again. If you customize your folders thumbnail view with the folders properties button and then save them to another media (CD, DVD etc...) you lose that customization. When you restore them to a new or reformatted computer you have to re-customize these folders all over again. Because Windows looks for a .jpg file named folder automatically while in thumbnail view no matter what media or computer it is on, it will always display this photo even if it is on a CD/DVD or transfered to a new computer.

This trick can save countless set up hours during reformats or computer changes.

One other thing I do is because I name my photos with a keyword or name I resize a copy of the photo I am going to use for this purpose to a 100 x 100 pixel size using Microsoft's Image Resizer powertoy (available for free here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx ). Then I set the thumbnails properties to Read Only and Hidden, this keeps it hidden from view whenever I view any slide-shows and prevents any accidental renaming of the folder file.