Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingrules2

Changing Defaults For Recycle Bin and System Restore

One of the first things I do with new Windows XP installation or on a computer I am tuning up is to change the default settings of Recycle Bin and System Restore, both of which are set at defaults to consume a great deal of your hard drive space. The default for Recycle Bin is 10 percent. Ten percent of a 200 gigabyte hard drive is 20 gigs. Way too much! Here’s how to change it: right click on Recycle Bin > Properties > right click and hold on the slider and move/drag it to the left to something reasonable like 2 percent. Notice if you have more than one hard drive, you should select “Use one setting for all drives” or configure each separately.

System Restore default is 12 percent, I believe. You can do the math, right? Right click on My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Settings > right click and hold on the slider and move it to the left to around 1000 MBs. That should be enough for about a month of System Restores--who would need or want to go back further than that?

The default settings made sense back when hard drives where 10 or 20 gigabytes, but not today when they are regularly over 100 gigs and then some.

:)

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Fly what happin's if you fill recycle bin to max. 2% will you get a warning or will it delete the file and not save to recycle bin? :)

In my opinion, you shouldn't be "saving" to the Recycle Bin :mrgreen: What happen is you will get a message that says the file is too big for the Recycle Bin--do you want to erase permanently. You may enter yes or no then (last chance).

In my opinion, you shouldn't be "saving" to the Recycle Bin :mrgreen: What happen is you will get a message that says the file is too big for the Recycle Bin--do you want to erase permanently. You may enter yes or no then (last chance).

:rofl2: I didn't mean saving to recycle bin. Thanks for the info ;)

Also, there's a hard 2GB upper limit on Recycle Bin size. So any drive bigger than 60GB (most of them nowadays) will hit the 2GB ceiling first.

The default for Recycle Bin is 10 percent.

When you say 10pc of the hard drive, would that mean 10pc of the physical drive, or 10pc of a partition? I usually partition my Drive to a size about twice that of the operating system, and put my apps elsewhere.

Thanks

Here's my issue with my System Restore. I was told to set it no bigger than 1500 MB per partition at one point, now I'm being told to set it at 1000 MB now?

And dave, what do you mean "upper limit"? On my 40 GB hard drive, 10% is just a mere 3.9 GB drop in the bucket. Of course, I have this 20 GB hard drive that's been divided in half already...

thankyou fly, gr8 tip.

I didn't even think that, that bloody 10% was actually a 10% of ur HDD lol, and with 500gigs of RAID, unbelievable, too much. Yes its now way less lol. :P:lol:

Thanks a million :)

System Restore default is 12 percent, I believe. You can do the math, right? Right click on My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Settings > right click and hold on the slider and move it to the left to around 1000 MBs. That should be enough for about a month of System Restores--who would need or want to go back further than that?

The default settings made sense back when hard drives where 10 or 20 gigabytes, but not today when they are regularly over 100 gigs and then some.

Thanks for the tip. What about those of us with humongous hard drives (which are becoming standard on new computers). Ten per cent of 80GB is a riduclously large amount to set aside, but we have plenty of space for storage no matter what the setting.

Good luck, Dan

Interesting point about partitioning.

I have not heard of your partition approach before, do you mind saying what advantages you believe are obtained.

I suppose I should state right away that I have never had an explanation for any particular approach other than "divide to about 10 Gig size" - from the guys who initially supplied & set up my PC.

Rgds Pete

When you say 10pc of the hard drive, would that mean 10pc of the physical drive, or 10pc of a partition? I usually partition my Drive to a size about twice that of the operating system, and put my apps elsewhere.

Thanks

One of the first things I do with new Windows XP installation or on a computer I am tuning up is to change the default settings of Recycle Bin and System Restore, both of which are set at defaults to consume a great deal of your hard drive space. The default for Recycle Bin is 10 percent. Ten percent of a 200 gigabyte hard drive is 20 gigs. Way too much! Here’s how to change it: right click on Recycle Bin > Properties > right click and hold on the slider and move/drag it to the left to something reasonable like 2 percent. Notice if you have more than one hard drive, you should select “Use one setting for all drives” or configure each separately.

Thank you for the wonderful tip. :clap: I knew about the recycle bin but the system restore was news to me.

marlian,

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot delete individual restore points, but I believe Windows manages it by deleting the oldest when you make a new one. If you want to delete them all you can turn it off, but then I recommend you turn it back on and create a new one.

Searching the MS Knowledge Base gave me this article on how to delete them all but the most recent one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555367/en-us

:help: Hi fly fishing, is it possible to delete old restore points after i've made a new one ( I hope this makes sense to you) marlian

I think you'll find that the first Restore Point will be erased as you add a new one. On my laptop for instance, I've allocated 846MB(3%) which gives 7 points going back to June 1st.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks

GameKing, hi,

My understanding is that Windows treats partitions as separate hard drives. I believe if you look at your System Restore and Recycle Bin settings, you will see each partition and will have to set or monitor them separately (or use a global setting for all).

Edited by flyfishingrules2

marlian,

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot delete individual restore points, but I believe Windows manages it by deleting the oldest when you make a new one. If you want to delete them all you can turn it off, but then I recommend you turn it back on and create a new one.

Searching the MS Knowledge Base gave me this article on how to delete them all but the most recent one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555367/en-us

:cheers: thanks flyfishingrules2 and oatman for your prompt replies

What you fail to tell is what the point of limiting the Recycle Bin size would be? It's not like it actually reserves space that you then can't use for anything else. It's just a protection layer so you can recover files that you accidently deleted and then realized your mistake before emptying the Recycle Bin.

Now what would really be usefull is if anyone knew a way to increase the size of the Recycle Bin, which is limited to 2 GB even if you change the setting to 100%. This is extremely annoying as it means there is no way to recover files or folders that are larger than 4GB if you delete them by mistake. File recovery software usually doesn't work on files this size either. Anyone who does any kind of video editing will probably have been bitten by this limit at one time or other and yet I can't find much help on google. In fact this thread is the only one that keeps popping up when I search for Recycle Bin size limit.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: it seems Vista is the only way to get around this limit.

Edited by NoBugging