Sign in to follow this  
SKEELER

Have to use AOL to access internet

I have a satellite connection via external modem (Hughes 6000). I cannot pull anything up on IE (6.0), but if I open AOL, I can then get online. My laptop also times out on a lot of sites, especially iTunes Music Store, whether I use AOL or not.

I defragged the hard drive and nothing is sped up.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Check your proxy settings on internet explorer via

tools > internet options > connections > lan settings

Make sure automatically detec settings is ticked and that your not usuing a proxy server.

If you are using aol then AOL is the program that actually connects, IE should work if aol is signed in to. If that is too annoying I beleive there is a program called aol dialler included with the software.

If you are using aol then AOL is the program that actually connects, IE should work if aol is signed in to. If that is too annoying I beleive there is a program called aol dialler included with the software.

I completely agree that if I am signed into AOL, IE should also work, but it doesn't. I went into connections>LAN settings and checked "Automatically detect proxy settings," and it still doesn't work.

For some stupid reason, when I turn my computer on, MSN Messenger automatically starts and shows how many emails I have. Sometimes, it will open right to my email via IE (without AOL even being open, yet), but most of the time, it will open up IE on its own, but still says "page cannot be found, etc."

Even if you take AOL messemnger out of the start up, it will put it's self back in there, is AOL your wireless internet provider?

You can go into the AOL messenger settings and tell it not to start up, If you don't have AOL as your ISP, then your best option is to remove it, being a very difficult thing to do if you want it all out, it's not much short of acting like a nasty virus that won't completely uninstall

You can use trillian for IM, and you won't need all that trash that you get with AOl

Even if you take AOL messemnger out of the start up, it will put it's self back in there, is AOL your wireless internet provider?

You can go into the AOL messenger settings and tell it not to start up, If you don't have AOL as your ISP, then your best option is to remove it, being a very difficult thing to do if you want it all out, it's not much short of acting like a nasty virus that won't completely uninstall

You can use trillian for IM, and you won't need all that trash that you get with AOl

AOL is not my ISP. I have DIRECWAY. I just happened to discover that using AOL prevents me from getting dropped from my internet connection.

On the otherhand, if I go on websites where I could watch video's, even AOL times out and I don't get to watch anything.

When I do want to watch media presentations, I have to restart my laptop, wait for MSN Messenger to open up, then click on the link to "you have xxxx #'s of messages in your inbox" to open IE. Sometimes IE maintains a portal for a long enough time to allow a media connection, but usually times out or displays, "Cannot view page, etc."

So, if I'm lucky, I can keep restarting my laptop, hoping IE will stay connected long enough.

Hi Joe C, I dont mean to seem rude but DO NOT ADVISE PEOPLE TO UNINSTALL AOL, the only true way of doing it is by phoning them up and requesting an uninstall code to be typed into the browser. I once tried a manual uninstall but until I reformatted the HD i still had traces of it on the PC. Just some friendly advice! Tito.

Some people like AOL.....some don't. I have removed AOL junk from computers plenty of times....as Joe says...it's like a virus, it's everywhere. True, it is everywhere but there is no need for a "uninstall code" from them....it can be manually removed without it......takes a little time but it can be done. :)