Sign in to follow this  
stormy13

Nero 7

Finally going to picking up a dvd burner this weekend and was looking for opinions from those that have gone from Nero 6 to 7. Is it worth the extra bloat that comes with 7 over 6 when it comes to burning dvd's? Guess the main question is is there enough extra functionality in 7 to use it over 6?

I read a review in a pc magazine on it, it supposed to have a new gui and more burn/copy options (bloatware)

They did recommend it over roxio

Edited by Joe C

switched to Nero 7 and it has been full of bugs,the new update is kinda hit and miss, if i were you i would go with nero 6, i am going back to 6 myself. (Nero7) when they get a stable peice going i will go back to it, it is bloaty! but has some very nice features added to it.

I still think Nero is the best burner. I have a key for the best version 6. It used to come in three downloads, and I never download anything but the first one with the burner. The rest is bloated crapware in my opinion.

I'm going to use the Nero player? Doubt it when iTunes is free. I know, I know, Apple is proprietary too, but dang it is so simple to use and sounds so good. Someday I know I will have to have an iPod. :shrug: What can I do? I got the little picture thingy with album covers going too--I'm shameless :blushing:

:P

Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems related. Can somebody throw me a link or give me a primer (PM or otherwise) on how to change/convert/whatever .avi files to DVD so they can be played on a home DVD player. Pretty sure Nero can handle it, but am clueless so far. :pullhair:

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Hi Stormy, Having used Nero 6 for quite some time and being quite happy with it, I shelled out a small fortune for Nero 7 when it first came out last fall and I have been one unhappy camper ever since.

The software was flawed right out the box, it had a bug which caused nero burning rom to not open again after you opened nero express. You actually had to change a registry entry to get it to open again. They released an update after about a month which fixed that problem but I never was able to get the update function to work properly and have since given up on it and reinstalled Nero 6 instead.

Save your money, stick with Nero 6 until they get their act together and fix their software.

I have nero 6 retail, but I never use the player, it seemed kinda lame to me

Thanks guys. that was the impression I got from 7 when I tested it, sort of like the Norton of burning software. Guess I'll stick with 6.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems related. Can somebody throw me a link or give me a primer (PM or otherwise) on how to change/convert/whatever .avi files to DVD so they can be played on a home DVD player.

What's a little hijacking among friends. :P:lol:

Anyway I have been using this,

http://www.avi-vcd.com/avi-to-dvd.asp

for a while now with good success. Well worth the $$ if you plan on using it a lot.

Thanks guys. that was the impression I got from 7 when I tested it, sort of like the Norton of burning software. Guess I'll stick with 6.

What's a little hijacking among friends. :P:lol:

Anyway I have been using this,

http://www.avi-vcd.com/avi-to-dvd.asp

for a while now with good success. Well worth the $$ if you plan on using it a lot.

So, Stormy,

Nero won't do it? My minimal research says yes but slowly.

:)

That was one of the things that lead me to try 7. Then I went searhing for something better and that was when I found Cucusoft. Nice thing about it is it has lots of options for how you want to convert something; VCD, SVCD, DVD, etc, as well as conversion rate for different file size and image quality.

Wow, a coincidence. I just installed Nero 7, my friend lent me his copy.

On Nero 6, under file there was an option called "Write CD" to burn a disc. Now it's not there.

Is "Burn Compilation" the option I use to burn a CD? It's under the recorder drop down menu.

I have a Benq 1620 and I used Nero 6 and was happy with it, but when I bought the new Benq 1655 with lightscribe, I purchased Nero 7.

I don't remember what version it was but it would not do anything. Showtime would not work, and the Lightscribe would not work, it was trash. I upgraded it to version 7.0.1.4 and it still had bugs and nothing would work right.

I uninstalled it and went back to Nero 6.

I read they had some new firmware versions out for Nero 7 that were fixing the bugs. So I reinstalled it and upgraded to version 7.0.5.4 and went to Lightscribe.com and got the latest driver for that and now everything on Nero 7 is working great for me. Better than Nero 6.

I see they have a new version 7.0.8.2 out, but I am happy with the way this version is running and you folks here in the pit have taught me that if its not broke don't try to fix it, so I am going to wait to upgrade to the new version.

I know Nero 7 is a big bloated program, but it is doing everything for me as well as I expected it to do.

:cheers:

Hey BWest36,

I just open Startsmart an click on the little gold star at the top and it will give you the options to

Make a data CD

Make a video CD

Make an audio CD

Copy a CD

I use the "Make a data CD" for pictures.

:beer:

Just an update. Got my new burner today (LG 4167B) and it works great. Stuck with Nero 6 for now. Even backed up my first dvd today using DVD Shrink and Nero, and it took about 35 minutes start to finish.

Now it's time to get serious about it and back up all the kids dvd's before they get destroyed. :pullhair:

No, got it OEM and the place I got it from didn't sell it with software. Didn't matter though, already had the full version anyway.

i got that and power dvd with my liteon dual layer burner, it doesnt specify wich version it is, all i know is that it has everything from burning rom to incd 4, i already tried the encoding, it took forever, tmpgenc was atleast 20% faster though.

overall this burner rocks and im happy w- it, im sure you are w- yours :)