Sign in to follow this  
Guest Old Salt Oz

Lost My Briefcase?

Guest Old Salt Oz

I installed "H Menu" (program launcher) and added the My Briefcase file to it and later removed it intending to put it back on the desktop.

Olny to find it, and all the files had vanished...........

So I created a new file called My Briefcase, and it looks fine, but when I use the send to command, the file does not show up?

If I drag and drop a file it seems to work.

So, wise wizards of cybre tech, just how do I go about the thing back the way it was :help:

And in simple language please, I'm still a bit to this computing caper......

Win 98, 256 meg ram,

Edited by Old Salt Oz

Guest Haans

Try going to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components and then remove My Briefcase. After clicking OK and all, restart, and then do the same procedure, only install instead of uninstall.

Might work, no guarantees ;)

Guest Old Salt Oz

Thanks Hanns, but 98 does not have the facility to uninstall 'my briefcase' and re install, any other ideas.........

Yes it does........ go to control panel, add/remove programs,click the Windows setup tab. Highlight accessories, click the details button. Briefcase is listed. Put a check mark in the box to add it......uncheck the box to remove it.

Guest Old Salt Oz

Thanks Signman,

I followed your instructions and found the following, no sign of my briefcase thou???

am I missing something here.

Under accessories it lists;

Calculator

Desktop Wallpaper

Document Templates

Games

Imaging

Mouse Pointers

Paint

Quickview

Screen Savers

Windows Scrip Hosting

WordPad

The plot thickens........... :mrsgreen:

Humm, I was at work when I posted that. My Win98 machine there has it...but it is a 98se version. Now I am home on my Win98 machine, I have a briefcase on my desktop but like yours, it is not listed. Soooo, can you right click on a blank spot on the desktop, see if you have a briefcase listing under New. If so, just create a new one. If not, do a search and see if it is still on your hard drive. If it finds it in the search, just drag it to the desktop. If it is not there on the hard drive, you may have to reinstall it from the CD.

I also found this.........

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;193764

Edited by Signman

Guest Old Salt Oz

Thanks again Signman,

I had a look at the MS link, seems they know about the problem but have no real fix.

I have created another desktop 'my briefcase' as per the instructions you kindly supplied, but it still does not work, I checked the properties of the shot cut for send to and found the target was system, so changed it to desktop, now it puts the file on the desktop, not into my briefcase, so we are getting closer LOL. :blink:

mine too...are you sure the scroll bar is all the way up? Briefcase is the first thing and right before Calculator.

Guest Old Salt Oz

Thanks x5dr,

Cheked that, not listed, I'm thinking that maybe the target (For Send To)is wrong, can someone with a working Briefcase tell me what they have in the properties of send to for the briefcase link. :blushing:

This not a problem, it's a pain..........

I deleted it...never did use it.

Is it possible that it's hidden? My computer/tools/folder options/view in XP...don't have the 98 PC on at the moment.

I don't have a Briefcase on XP but the Accessories is in C:\Documents and Settings. (Found thru Search {FIND for 98})

Instead of making the folder on your desktop...make it in Accessories....(just guessing :blink: )

Here's what I found out.......At work, I did the add/remove to install briefcase on my work machine. It was listed under accessories. Once it was installed to the desktop, it no longer shows up in the accessories area. That may be why yours is gone. As to your other question about the target area...... mine shows.............."C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\My Briefcase". Try that in the target area. If you can't get it to work, here is a freeware program that does the same thing.........

http://www.rekenwonder.com/brfcplus.htm

Guest Old Salt Oz

Well we are a little closer,

On the shortcut tab for my briefcase should read:-

Target Type: Briefcase

Target Location: Desktop

also the Target should read "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\My Briefcase"

Question is how do I change the first 2,

target type and target location ?????

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this will change your target area or not but you can try this.....in the properties box of your Briefcase, type in "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\My Briefcase" then click on the "Find Target"button. See if it then points to the correct item. Other than that, I am at a loss as to what to do next. I never use the Briefcase anymore but I used to use it between my laptop and my desktop. Maybe someone else might be able to help with it. If not, I would download the one I told you about and use it.

Thanks x5dr,

Cheked that, not listed, I'm thinking that maybe the target (For Send To)is wrong, can someone with a working Briefcase tell me what they have in the properties of send to for the briefcase link. :blushing:

This not a problem, it's a pain..........

Properties on my briefcase for 98se look like this....

C:/WINDOWS\Desktop

MS-Dos name: MYBRIE~1

Attributs:read only

Guest Old Salt Oz

Problem solved, :lol: I ran my win98 disk but saved all files, the end result was a new briefcase file that works, but is still not listed in the set up, it still starts at calculator? no problem, it's working.

Thank you all for your very helpful comments, lets hope someone comes up with a real simple one, and perhaps I will be able to return the favour.

Many thanks :beer: :beer: :beer: :blink: