Sign in to follow this  
binfordw

Router port help

Hi,

Im having trouble getting my setup to work properly.

WHat im trying to do is this, I have 2 computers hooked up to a router. I am trying to run a dedicated server on my best comp WHILE playing on both..

All I can get now is the other comp- the one not running the server, joined up and playing fine. The one running the server cannot connect. I get disconnected almost immediately upon joining.

I have set each computer to a static IP, and enabled the ports required to play in the router for both. It seems like the computer running both game and server is having trouble sending and recieving the right info to and from the router.

If I start the server, and then the game and join, its fine. If I join the other computer up, I get disconnected on the comp running the server. As well as anyone who joins from online- I get disconnected. Whats going on?

Any helpful ideas??

When you make dedicated servers, you can't play on that workstation.

That's the tradeoff for better network speed.

If you still want to make a dedicated server, find an old computer (3-4 years) that's going to be thrown out. Set that up on your network and create a dedicated server that runs all the time.

When you make dedicated servers, you can't play on that workstation.

Not true. I could run a online dedicated server and play on the same computer when I had just the one PC, now that we have 2 and a router, its a no go.

I have a friend who can do the same with his comp.

Now I've been told I could accomplish what Im trying to do, just that its not easy.

Here are some replys from the games tech guru

" You have to do a port forwarding.

If your server has port 20000 the clients from outside are trying to connect the ip you get by your provider on port 20000. But this ip is the router not the game server.

so you have to forward the request to the ip of the router on port 20000 UDP to the internal ip of the game server.

How to do you have to check at the router manual. it is different by each router."

"First only UDP is relevant for joining.

Second the ip address the people are connecting is the ip of your router. Is a soldner server running at your router or at one of your pc's???

Think it is at a pc. So you must forward from router to server pc."

I can start a server and join that server on the same computer, but if the other comp in our network joins I get disconnected. It plays fine on the other comp, and people can join in fine, but If I try to on the server comp I get disco'd.

The ports I've enabled for the game information must be conflicting with the server info, but I dont know how to work around that.

What game?

The Unreal Tournament Series, along with the Half Life series, and I think even one of the Call of Duty games wouldn't let you use one computer for both dedicated server and client.

Try running a listen server (ie: not dedicated) and see if the problem goes away.

Another possibility could be IP conflict, or your router isn't using NAT.

likely an ip or software licensing conflict. many games won't allow the same disc used for multiple instalations to run simultaniously one the same server.

blizzard games i know only allow one connection from a given IP to connect to internet servers.

as for port forwarding, you'll likely be able to forward all the ports you want to watever else you want, but in the end you'll likely just have a bigger mess than you started with.

likely an ip or software licensing conflict. many games won't allow the same disc used for multiple instalations to run simultaniously one the same server.

Exactly what I was thinking. Quake 4 for instance will not one copy of the game to be played on two machines simultaneously.

The other issue, is if both machines are having the same ports forwarded, then the outside packets do not know which one to go to. The outside IP is the same, so anyone trying to join could be forwarded to both of the two machines, causing a conflict.

I am not sure you can do this with just "one" router and have the packets end up at the correct machine. I don't see how the router is going to know which machine gets what packets as they are all being forwarded to the same ports to multiple machines, and both machines are attempting to connect on those ports.

The game is Soldner secret wars.

I may have not explained things correctly, Its not a liscense issue, we are using two CD'd with separate CD keycodes. We can both play online simultaneously no problem. The problem occurs when I try to host a dedicaded online server on my comp, AND play the game on it. If I am only running the server, our other computer can join and play fine, as well as other players. If I join MY server- or any other server for that matter, I disconnect, and often cause the players on my server to disconnect.

I have the correct ports forwarded, but am still missing something somewhere.

Game uses 3 ports,

TCP 5333 to show portal list of servers

UDP 20000-21000 to allow connection with game servers

and TCP 7890 for web server admin page

On the computer im trying to run the server and play, I forwarded all three ports to its internal Static IP.

On the other computer, I forwarded TCP 5333 and UDP 20000-21000 to its internal static IP.

That setting allows our other comp to play in the server and others to join, but I cant stay connected trying to play on the computer running the server. Now, if I remember correctly, I can start a server AND play on it on the one PC, as long as no one else joins., if someone does join, it kicks either me or both of us.

It is possible to run and play in the server on one PC, done it before and so have others- just need a good machine. The problem is my router configuration. I think when either our second PC is playing on the server or another online player is, its using the port my game needs to connect to my server..?? That sound like a possibility?