Sign in to follow this  
Faustus

Dell Despair - Help required

Has anyone come across this problem on a Dell Laptop or any other PC for that matter? I keep having a problem when booting up the machine. I get the windows installer trying to configure something called the Sonic Update Manager. Now according to the Sonic site this problem must not be unknown as there is a patch and if that does not work they advise uninstalling it, which I have. However, I also keep getting the message. Sonic Activation Module. The feature you are trying to use is on a CD Rom or other removable disk that is not available - Insert the Sonic Activation Module disk and click OK, use source 1. The thing is the Dell does not come with any disks everything is pre-loaded and is somewhere on the HD. I am at my wits end with this message. The only way to get rid of it is to shut it down in the task manager, which is only a temporary fix. Any ideas or solutions welcomed. If I shut down using the Hibernate option then I do not have this issue, it is only on a proper shutdown and startup that the problem resurfaces. I have tried every cleaning tool etc. to no avail. I have uninstalled all Roxio applications again to no avail. After performing a restore which returned the Laptop to a point before I uninstalled the Roxio applications which are now back, however, I cannot use them now as I am being prompted for a disk for those applications, and yes you’ve guessed it, there are no disks. This particular hiccup re: Roxio is not the end of the world as I have Nero on disk, but the Sonic Activation Module prompt really has me beat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Try this:

There are no separate user settings to limit the frequency with which Sonic Update Manager checks for updates. Within RecordNow though, it is possible to select whether or not the Sonic Update Manager will automatically check for updates when RecordNow launches. To disable that automatic check go through the following steps.

Start RecordNow.

Click on the Options (wrench) icon.

Click on "General."

Under "Startup," remove the checkmark from "Check for updates."

Click on "OK."

This can also be an error of the Sonic Update Manager ( or "sgtray.exe" if using the Veritas version) unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the "Add/Remove Programs," control panel. Then download the latest version here and install.

If you decide to permanently remove the Sonic Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic software currently installed on the system.

From here: http://support.sonic.com/desktop/faqs/Faqs...p&product=mydvd

Try this:

There are no separate user settings to limit the frequency with which Sonic Update Manager checks for updates. Within RecordNow though, it is possible to select whether or not the Sonic Update Manager will automatically check for updates when RecordNow launches. To disable that automatic check go through the following steps.

Start RecordNow.

Click on the Options (wrench) icon.

Click on "General."

Under "Startup," remove the checkmark from "Check for updates."

Click on "OK."

This can also be an error of the Sonic Update Manager ( or "sgtray.exe" if using the Veritas version) unsuccessfully attempting to update itself. To update, remove this program using the "Add/Remove Programs," control panel. Then download the latest version here and install.

If you decide to permanently remove the Sonic Update Manager, it will not affect the performance of any Sonic software currently installed on the system.

From here: http://support.sonic.com/desktop/faqs/Faqs...p&product=mydvd

I have already done this, in fact when you go into the wrench I cannot check the box relating to updates as it is already greyed out. However, as I said the real issue is not the Sonic update manager but the Sonic Activation module and the insistence I insert CD selecting source 1. I just cannot stop this programme from running each time I start up, even deleting everything to do with Roxio and Sonic including uninstalling the the Window component section of the add and remove programme in Control Panel Sonic DVD.

After you Uninstall Sonic, do a search for any remaining files. In search options select Search Hidden Files and Folders, and see if anything comes up.

You say that you have used "every cleaning tool, etc.". Could you be a bit more specific? It might help to know exactly what you have used.

For example, Regcleaner is a freeware registry cleaner that I have found useful. It is free and small and is used to manually remove items, which are then placed in a backup page in case of an "oops!" It is very good for cleaning up tag-ends of old programs that can hang around causing trouble.

You say that you have used "every cleaning tool, etc.". Could you be a bit more specific? It might help to know exactly what you have used.

For example, Regcleaner is a freeware registry cleaner that I have found useful. It is free and small and is used to manually remove items, which are then placed in a backup page in case of an "oops!" It is very good for cleaning up tag-ends of old programs that can hang around causing trouble.

I have used Easycleaner. The problem I am sure is not the update manager but the Sonic Activation Module. It is asking for something that Dell do not supply i.e. Disk 1 which it asks you to select source 1.

Right latest update - pardon the pun. I have installed the Regcleaner which is a handy little tool. I have now deleted all references to Sonic Roxio including backups startups and anywhere else. I rebooted and yes you've guessed it the windows installer is still trying to install the Sonic Activation Module and source 1 is my only option. The only other reference to Sonic which I cannot get rid of is in the add/remove programs and is call Sonic Encoders. When I try to remove this last item I get the following message. SONICENCODERS.MSI use source d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic Again I would say that I am being asked for a disk a do not possess.

Right latest update - pardon the pun. I have installed the Regcleaner which is a handy little tool. I have now deleted all references to Sonic Roxio including backups startups and anywhere else. I rebooted and yes you've guessed it the windows installer is still trying to install the Sonic Activation Module and source 1 is my only option. The only other reference to Sonic which I cannot get rid of is in the add/remove programs and is call Sonic Encoders. When I try to remove this last item I get the following message. SONICENCODERS.MSI use source d:\OEM\CONTENT\Extras\sonic Again I would say that I am being asked for a disk a do not possess.

At last at long last I have a fix. Someone on the Dell Forum had the same problem and installed the latest Window installer and it worked for him. I tried it and bingo no more Sonic Activation Module. I think I will go to church tomorrow.

:snooze:

To All

Having had the same problem and found your thread while trying to solve it I thought I had best reply and let you know how I cured it!!

First of all having uninstalled and searched for the usual registry crud it still kept popping up. Further digging around revealed an Installshield Control Panel Applet (called ISSUSPM.CPL) which you can kill of first.

Then a registry search within Current_User, Software, Installshield revealed UpdateService & TunerOEM folders which also relate to this which I also deleted.

Finally in the Program Files Folder Under Common Shared you can remove the Installshield folder (which contains the update service manager that is the culprit!)

Don't forget to backup registry and make sure you can put files/folders back just in case something advers happens with your system!!

All the best.

Nigel

Has anyone come across this problem on a Dell Laptop or any other PC for that matter? I keep having a problem when booting up the machine. I get the windows installer trying to configure something called the Sonic Update Manager. Now according to the Sonic site this problem must not be unknown as there is a patch and if that does not work they advise uninstalling it, which I have. However, I also keep getting the message. Sonic Activation Module. The feature you are trying to use is on a CD Rom or other removable disk that is not available - Insert the Sonic Activation Module disk and click OK, use source 1. The thing is the Dell does not come with any disks everything is pre-loaded and is somewhere on the HD. I am at my wits end with this message. The only way to get rid of it is to shut it down in the task manager, which is only a temporary fix. Any ideas or solutions welcomed. If I shut down using the Hibernate option then I do not have this issue, it is only on a proper shutdown and startup that the problem resurfaces. I have tried every cleaning tool etc. to no avail. I have uninstalled all Roxio applications again to no avail. After performing a restore which returned the Laptop to a point before I uninstalled the Roxio applications which are now back, however, I cannot use them now as I am being prompted for a disk for those applications, and yes you’ve guessed it, there are no disks. This particular hiccup re: Roxio is not the end of the world as I have Nero on disk, but the Sonic Activation Module prompt really has me beat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My solution to this problem was as follows: While the Sonic Activation Module message is visible, go to task Manager using ctrl-alt-del. Highlight Sonic Activation Module entry, right click, select "go to process". This takes you to the processes tab and the process name, which is isuspm.exe. Now do a search on drive c: for this filename. It returns 3 entries. Drag these 3 accursed files to a different place, such as a new folder on the desktop entitled "guantanamo bay" or some such. Restart the computer and the problem should now be solved.

Howde, Spent hours going through the same pain including rebuilds and being taken to the edge of unreasonable violance against an accumulation of electronic components.

Basically I found it was ISSUSPM.exe simply by screenshoting the task manager, closing down the activation module and then seeing what wasnt there anymore :P

My solution was to check google where I found it was a macrovision installer and then simply removing it from startup using msconfig. No more problems but not sure of the overall ramifications as I also unistalled the sonic dla etc and only restrained myself from uninstalling anything slightly sounding like sonic after last time toasted my media centre.

The other guys solution sounds a lot cleaner. I'll post if I am reduced to tears again tonight.

My Sonic Activation Module Problem is now fixed. THANKS to all you folks who posted the "how to" on this forum. You have saved me hours of misery. Never would have figured it out on my own.

Signman - your link took me to the right spot - Thanks.

He's probably talking about the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Neat little program. Check out the LINKY

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

Original Poster - THANKS for bring this up. This deal was driving me NUTTY on the boot ups also.

Dell should have already fixed this problem. Is is amazing why so many messages on a computer tell you to install the disk when computers do not come with disk anymore!!

Wow! A big THANK YOU to you guys for the help fixing this bug. I found your discussion via a google search for those mysterious keywords ‘Sonic activation module’. I followed Captainw’s wonderfully simple instructions and the problem was fixed in moments!

That’s a result!

Thacks--Thanks--Thankss

I was cursed by that Sonoc Activation Module as well and tried every thing I know

I used that Windows clean up thingy and it worked--Why are these things allowed to exist

Mal

The problem is resolved on the Technical Help web site of Dell. click the following web address and follow instructions

Edit:: no exe. files please..just a link to it for those interested...v

mervynjohnson-

:adios: Welcome !

Perhaps a link to the page and not the exe. would be of more help. I wouldnt download any exe before I knew exactly what and where it came from.

Edit- And know exactly what its supposed to do or fix.

Edited by Zowie

I had the EXACT same problem. Here is the solution (from Sonic Tech Help) which cleared up the problem immediately.

Go to Internet Explorer and type the following executable in the address area:

Edit:: no exe. files please..just a link to it for those interested...IG

I had the EXACT same problem. Here is the solution (from Sonic Tech Help) which cleared up the problem immediately.

Go to Internet Explorer and type the following executable in the address area:

Edit:: no exe. files please..just a link to it for those interested...IG

I think dell knows of the problem http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...5844&l=en&s=gen

I called Sonic tech support and they gave me the solution. I tried the hotfix. I had to try it 3 times before the Sonic manager allowed me to shutdown, but when it did, it worked!!!!

There are 2 solutions to the issue..First is to try to uninstall the parts of the software you don’t want, using safe mode..To access this restart the computer and tap the F8 key to get the 1 time boot menu, and choose safe mode..Then goto add/remove programs and try uninstalling there..The running instances should not effect the removal process now…

…or you can try the hotfix...

HOTFIX

To correct the problem, click the link below and perform the following steps.

Click the following link to access the hotfix from the Roxio website:

PLEASE>>>NO LINKING TO .EXE (Jacee)

The File Download - Security Warning window appears.

Click Run

The Internet Explorer - Security Warning window appears.

Click Run.

The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.

Click Yes.

The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.

Click Yes when the reboot prompt appears.

Edited by Jacee