Sign in to follow this  
loveabledragon

MSI mother board

I am so hoping someone can help solve a 3 month old problem i have with this mother board

It as kept me out of pit for too long. I have had to use my sons pc just to get here for help

ok i have built this system myself, it as

K8MM-V board via chipset

64 bit AMD SEPRON cpu 2600

1024 ram DDR

40 and 120 hard drive

dvd rw

dvd player

operating system XP HOME

Now what happens is when i go on the internet i get a black screen with just a white cursor.

so i went to msi and they told me to stop a process called SLOW-DOWN-CPU so i did that and it went fine for a few days. So i tryed it on the net again, same thing black screen white curser, so back to msi they said its a grafic problem update driver, so i did just that, i went on the internet and what happens yes black screen white cursor.

i am at my wits end now and cant even use the PC to get here for help, so i have had to use my sons untill it is sorted.

As anyone had the problem if so how did you stop it? if not can anyone help me to stop it i feel so feed up as this as been the first one i have ever built, and wishing i had spent the money on a shop built one

Edited by loveabledragon

I got a couple of questions for you:

1 - If you dont attempt to surf the web, do you still get the blank screen?

2 - Are you using Internet Explorer? Mozilla? Firefox?

3 - Do you have service pack 2 installed for XP Home? or couldnt you get online to get it?

4 - Do you happen to have a spare video card laying around? pci or agp?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this... and I am always for people building their own computers instead of purchase a prefabbed ;)

Think your talking to the wrong people about your problem it's not a motherboard problem. It's a connection problem. In other words your not connecting to the net. How do you connect to the net? If dial up then you could have a bad modem. If dsl then your network card could be bad. Since your other computers aren't having a problem connecting then it does narrow the problem down to your computer. If you have dsl do you use a router? Could be in that case a bad ccable that connects your computer to the router or it could be that one plug on the router has gone bad.

Think your talking to the wrong people about your problem it's not a motherboard problem. It's a connection problem. In other words your not connecting to the net. How do you connect to the net? If dial up then you could have a bad modem. If dsl then your network card could be bad. Since your other computers aren't having a problem connecting then it does narrow the problem down to your computer. If you have dsl do you use a router? Could be in that case a bad ccable that connects your computer to the router or it could be that one plug on the router has gone bad.

but then why would he get a blank screen with a cursor and not get IE to come up saying that it could not connect?

Well "Howdy" Miss Loveable!! Now, I am sort of with GodfreyOuwens here as I'd also like more information. Sort of with *mouse* too tho', it could be your connection. What "do" you use to connect to the internet? And is your connection on the home built computer setup correctly? Like "G.O." asked, do you have an extra Video card lying about? How does it do when you're *not* trying to get on the net?, just messing around playing games or such, do you get the black screen any other time?

Now do this for me.....start it up and let it boot to Windows. Right click the desktop and choose *properties/settings* and tell us what you have there. Also go to the *appearance* tab and under "item" click the button and scroll down to *Window*, check the color. Is it black?

Let us know what you find..... ;)

:sparkle:

Hi there sorry it has taken me so long to get back, i work now so in bed early lol

ok my windows disk comes with service pack 2 on it

mouse

i use ADSL modem i do get on the net but for only a min or 2 before i get the black screen, i forgot to say the PC this is happening to is the main one and the other 3 PC's network through it. thats 2 desktops and 1 laptop

I got a couple of questions for you:

1 - If you don't attempt to surf the web, do you still get the blank screen?

yes if i try to open games is the worst

2 - Are you using Internet Explorer? Mozilla? Firefox?

i use Internet Explorer

3 - Do you have service pack 2 installed for XP Home?

or couldn't you get on line to get it? it comes on my windows disk

4 - Do you happen to have a spare video card laying around? pci or agp?

no i don't its all built on the mother board which uses VIA everything is on board graphics, sound. networking

caintry_boy

i am going to set the PC up as soon as i see whats there i will send you the answer, nice to see you again

and you mouse.

thank you to all who is trying to help me sort this

Did you use the cd that came with the motherboard to install all drivers such as chipset, soun, video? Can you see the fan on the cpu spinning. I must ask. You did plug the cpu fan in didn't you?

Can you go into control panel>administrative tools>event viewer? If so look around the system log for any entries for about the time you get the black screen. If you find any, right click them. It should give details.

You said the computers are "networked" through that one.

Since that motherboard only has one built in ethernet adapter, I assume you have added one or more ethernet cards to the machine to achieve this.

If that is the case, I would pull the added cards and test the system without them.

This sounds to me like a hardware conflict. It is not a modem problem, or a ethernet "cable" problem. The problem is definately the hardware in the computer it's self.

I have run into similar issues in the past, removing all additional cards if any are present. Test the system, if it runs fine, then add them back and see if the problem is repeatable.

If so then you have found your problem.

If there are no "additional" cards in the machine, then a Bios update may solve the problem.

Edited by Bruce

Bruce is on to something if all the computers are networked through the one computer. The solutions I suggested were things I'de run into with my network but in my case I use a router and had one or more ports fail.

Via chipset have you updated the 4-1 drivers for Via those will often solve the type of problem your having with the video and games.

Hi mouse, bruce, and dickster

Oki had the moden set up on the pc with the problem, each one is run through a hub, so i have taken out the modem and unisalled the software to it, now i have made my sons the main PC and put my own on the network through the hub, now i have had it running nearly 24 hours with no crashes and no black screens at all. and my sons has been running fine with no problems at all.

I think Bruce hit the nail on the head. I would like to thank you all for the great help you have given me, i am useing the pc now to write this.

I am so pleased again thank you i will be a round for a while. see you all latter