Sign in to follow this  

HOW DO I........

convert a tif or jpeg to a word document? When I use my scanner it will only give me the option of save anything I scan to a tif file or jpeg file never a word document. What can I do?

I don't think a scanned document can be saved as a Word document unless you paste the scanned item into Word and then save it. :blink:

What are you scanning.....a letter?

Edited by Signman

It sounds like you don't have any OCR(optical character recognition) software installed...

did the scanner come with any software besides the drivers?

Its an Epson 1660 scanner and I have never been happy with the limited software (ARCSOFT). OCR specific I cant really say. Suggestions for adding something that might work? I scanned my homework (stats) to email to the instructor as I went off and forgot it and then I remember I get into this everytime. I was thinking there was a program that would convert any file to a Word. doc but thats the problem I was thinking. :P

I haven't used it for some time, but I think Open Office has some file format conversion abilities. Or, I seem to remember that when you have a saved .tiff document, you can right click it and Send To --Microsoft Word, where it will be saved as a .doc.

:blank:

convert a tif or jpeg to a word document? When I use my scanner it will only give me the option of save anything I scan to a tif file or jpeg file never a word document. What can I do?

I have a canon scanner and what I do is put a document on the scanner, open word, go to insert, and there is a select of from scanner or camera option. I pick that option and go from there. I do have the software installed that came with the scanner and it a cheap scanner, nothing special.

Maybe this helps.

Edited by royp

I know you can convert .tiff to .pdf, there are free programs to do that, then you could copy and paste the pdf into word, or open office.

The suggestion to insert from Royp is the answer. Had forgotten all about it. And have used it before. I knew I could get an answer even if it's one I should have already known. Thanks for the responses. :shifty: