Sign in to follow this  
kd5

Decoder Error With Xp Media Center And Live Tv

Dell Dimension E510, 3ghz P4, 1024mb PC533, 80gb SATA, ATI vid card and separate tuner card, fresh XP Media Center Edition install on a clean FAT32 partition, cable coax plugged into tuner card. Worked fine before format & reinstall, now I keep getting video decoder error mentioned in topic subtitle. I installed the KLite Codec Pack Full, with Media Player Classic, Cyberlink DVD decoder, & Cyberlink MPEG-2 video decoder, and various combinations of same. Windows Media Player 10 will play DVDs with the Cyberlink DVD decoder installed, but Media Center will not play live TV at all, even with the video decoder installed. Continually complains that the "Video decoder has malfunctioned or is not installed".

I've been on the phone and in chat session with Dell (they kept handing me off to someone else), I've been to MS, installed the Media Center Diagnostic Tool (claims decoders are either absent or insufficient), and the M$ video decoder diagnostic which shows the decoder I installed as being present and accounted for. Yet Media Center will not recognize nor use it.

I don't know what else to do. I'm about to reformat and try again from scratch... :( -kd5-

kd5-

Im sure youve googled this a million times. But I did find some interesting articles about that error. What type of tv tuner card is it?

I dont have a MCE pc but I found help in an unlikely post that helped me get my tv card up and running without an error. Perhaps with some additional info about the card,your error can be pinpointed too.

edit to add-

When you ran the diagnostic tool how many mpeg2 decoders did it find? Did you set one to preferred? If you have more than one mpeg-2 decoder did you try changing another to preferred?

Edited by Zowie

At first there was only one MPEG2 decoder (Cyberlink), which I set to preferred. I haven't checked since I reinstalled the KLite Codec Pack, but I'm sure there are now 2. The TV Tuner card is a Dell installed ATI TVT2. I just gave it up for tonight and shut it down, I'll pick it back up tomorrow. -kd5-

Ive read many articles over the last few hours appears to be a common problem with MCE. Usually a driver or a noncompliant codec. It also appears that MCE is very picky about which order items are installed. (such as install decoder before media center)If it were me Id start over from scratch and follow the order given in dell's manual.

Hopefully someone with expirence with MCE will be along to offer some solutions.

Not possible to install the codec before Media Center, MCE is part of the operating system. -kd5-

Ive only set up MCE once,fortunately we had no errors. (Gateway)System was up and running weeks before we put in tvtuner card and then we set up media center.

Actually at the same time Geek Squad told us to install the video card she bought before we setup media center also, but weve yet to install it. I imagine we'll run into troubles when she decides she wants to attempt that. :(

Edit to add something I just found not sure if this is your problem-

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:mIQlfc...s&ct=clnk&cd=19

If you are going to use MCE to play DIVX/XVid use FFDShow to install the codecs. DO NOT install any of the WMV codecs from FFDShow, or any windows media plugins – it WILL break MCE.

• MCE is INCREDIBLY sensitive to 3rd party codecs. NEVER use the large codec packs (ACE, Klite, Nimo, etc) on an MCE machine - use FFDShow as mentioned above. Install any other codecs with EXTREME caution. Be sure you create a system restore point before installing ANY codecs in case they break MCE.

Edited by Zowie

KD5,

Windows Media Center Edition is so loaded with DRM that it is likely intentionally broken by MS if you try to use other codecs on the system that might have the ability to bypass their DRM.

I would reinstall the ATI drivers, and the codecs that come with the system.

Now I have to ask, why did you reformat AGAIN? :lol::P

Keep in mind that mpeg codecs are a vital part of the tvtuner, and using the wrong ones can disable the acrds ability to do anything.

Try reinstalling the drivers and software for the tuner first.

Dude you got a Dell. B)

No Bruce, I did NOT format again although I'm seriously considering it.

So installing the KLite Codec Pack may be what screwed MCE's ability to process the TV signal. Damn. OK, it says I'll need a DVD Player application which may be a problem. When Dell sent me this computer, all I got as far as software is concerned is the Reinstallation CD for XP MCE and the Resource CD (drivers). They sent no other software with this. So when I wiped all the garbage they had on there and reinstalled XP MCE, I also got rid of the Sonic and Power DVD applications they had installed. So I don't have a DVD Player Application anymore. Getting to talk to the right person at Dell became an hour's worth of disappointment yesterday, but if I need to call them back on Monday I will. I don't understand why they didn't send any software with this computer. When I asked the last guy I spoke to, he said it's because people are always losing the software so they quit sending any, which is a BS way to do business IMHO... :angry:

Will Media Player Classic suffice as the "DVD Player Application"? Or do I need to fight with Dell for the software?

I'm assuming I'll have the option of de-selecting the WMV codecs (9 VCM included) and any other WMV codecs or plugins during the FFDShow codec installation? Also, I see numerous versions of FFDShow, I know that the latest is not always the greatest, does anyone know if FFDShow 2006-01-26 SSE2 is good? -kd5-

That site looks to be a pretty good source and the advice looks valid, especially this part.

I would recommend following the instructions at that site to a tee. ;)

If you are going to use MCE to play DIVX/XVid use FFDShow to install the codecs. DO NOT install any of the WMV codecs from FFDShow, or any windows media plugins – it WILL break MCE.

• MCE is INCREDIBLY sensitive to 3rd party codecs. NEVER use the large codec packs (ACE, Klite, Nimo, etc) on an MCE machine - use FFDShow as mentioned above. Install any other codecs with EXTREME caution. Be sure you create a system restore point before installing ANY codecs in case they break MCE.

kd5-

I also found a similar post at dell's site last night reguarding the problem and they had gotten dell to send them a cyberlink dvd cd. You need the power dvd decoder,its compatiable.

I wouldnt even mess with Media Player classic or any others.

I searched for a solution for my friend to be able to put her recording tv programs to dvd. (that will play on a stand alone) :pullhair: Not much understandable info out there on that either.

I dont think you could convince me to use MCE although some people seem to like it.

Edit-to fix typo : )

Edited by Zowie

I believe through a little magic he has located CyberLink PowerDVD CD. :):tup:

Lets hope it works.

Edited by Bruce

I'm installing FFDShow, I've unchecked WMV options, but I'm uncertain about MS MPEG4v3, MS MPEG4v2, & MS MPEG4v1 (selected by default), I'm assuming I need them but MS represents Microsoft and could conceivably represent Windows Media codecs or plugins. Confirmation of one or the other would be greatly appreciated. -kd5-

All I can say at this point is that I must've already "broken" MCE because even after uninstalling everything I'd installed related to video, then following all the instructions provided at that site to the letter, I still get the same Decoder error.

I refuse to tear what's left of my hair out trying to figure this thing out. It will probably be a whole lot easier and less time-consuming for me just to start from scratch. I'm bloody sick and tired of MCE. If I ever see it again it'll be too soon.

Busy day... :angry: -kd5-

Just to throw another wrench in the mess- Somewhere in this forum http://www.xpmce.com/forum/

(Im unable to get the search function to work properly at this time) poster commented that the decoder in cyberlinks power dvd 5 would not work without the patch. So apparently not just any version of power dvd will do the trick with MCE. :crash:

Well, I installed Power DVD and MCE still wouldn't work, according to the Video Decoder Diagnostic tool, the Power DVD decoder was not usable. I just attributed it to my "wrecked" MCE and decided to start over. So, there a "patch" for Power DVD somewhere, eh? :pullhair: -kd5-

Thats what the poster claimed,I'll keep trying to get that search function working on that site and try to refind that post.

More interesting reading at thegreenbutton (which gateway had referred us too when looking to convert those files to dvd.)

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/sh...134811#bm134867

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/sh...143613#bm143640

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/sh...137156#bm137169

EDIT- Found It-

http://www.xpmce.com/forum/dvd-decoder-err...install+ffdshow

Thought the purpose of the pc was to make things easier. ;)

Edit- Looking for in fo on the powerdvd5 patch- but nowhere to find it.

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/...read.php?t=5466

Im MCEd out for awhile. Mind is turning to gobblity-goop.

Edited by Zowie

I do appreciate all your help Zowie. I've been reading those links and it appears to me that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next. Some said PowerDVD 5 (with patch, wherever that may be) or PowerDVD 6 would work with MCE, others said it didn't. It looks like this MCE concept is a bust, but I'm stuck with trying to make it work. I have a fresh format/reinstall to work with now, bad thing is it's so easy to "break" MCE, I forsee another format/reinstall in my very near future... :pullhair:

I just turned everything off for now as I'm MCE'd out myself... :thud: -kd5-

Found this:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_1_ENU.html

Now, if I'd only thought to find out what version of PowerDVD this was when I installed it a couple hours ago... :rolleyes: -kd5-

Edit: Trouble is, nobody said which patch resolves the issue with MCE. There's only one patch available at Cyberlink for PowerDVD 5... :unsure:

Found this:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_1_ENU.html

Now, if I'd only thought to find out what version of PowerDVD this was when I installed it a couple hours ago... :rolleyes: -kd5-

Edit: Trouble is, nobody said which patch resolves the issue with MCE. There's only one patch available at Cyberlink for PowerDVD 5... :unsure:

PowerDVD XP 4.0 is the version you have