Sign in to follow this  
moon

In a democracy......

Lol ! I should hope not. Hamas still haven't broken their declared truce of last February, despite a large number of Palestinians killed by the IOF.

and if you noticed the US hasnt ruled out working with Hamas ;)

I would never rule anything out and Bush is smart for not ruling it out...

he just said

President Bush -- whose Middle East policy includes support for emerging democracies -- said Thursday he would not deal with Hamas unless it renounced terrorism

"I have made it very clear, however, that a political party that articulates the destruction of Israel as part of its platform is a party with which we will not deal."

"I don't see how you can be a partner in peace if you advocate the destruction of a country as part of your platform

Link

Sounds like the right plan to me.. Glad we all agree

Oh, and congrats to Hamas.. it is a great victory for them. I truly hope they become the political leaders that is invisioned and distance themselves from terrorism.

This could be the start of mending ways. If Hamas is one of the leaders of Palestine, they are sure to halt terrorism and bring peace to the region..

:beer: The Palestinian people have spoken and I look forward to peace :beer:

WTG

Hamas really had done SOME good things for the palestinian people. The problem is the bad things....BUT if they do renounce their call for the destruction of Israel wont their funding dry up? Then how will they do the good things?

Catch 22?

Edited by one2gamble

It's good to see the reactions here being concerned with congratulations and financial speculation. That's the way it should be. However, I think it likely that the Israeli extremist response will be bloody. This is another opportunity for the United Nations to interpose itself, an opportunity which is again likely to be hobbled and squandered.

Israel in shock over Hamas victory

As moon pointed out they have not claimed responsibility for any attacks recently so the next step is to renounce all terrorist activities admit Israels right to live and become a great political leader. As for funding... as political leaders they will not have as much need for terror funding as they once did. they will become a legit political organization paving the road to peace.

:beer:

It's good to see the reactions here being concerned with congratulations and financial speculation. That's the way it should be. However, I think it likely that the Israeli extremist response will be bloody. This is another opportunity for the United Nations to interpose itself, an opportunity which is again likely to be hobbled and squandered.

Israel in shock over Hamas victory

nah...

I am sure Israel will absolutely work with Hamas as a legit Political figure when Hamas denounces and disarms the terror organizations and admits Israels right to live... That is what Israel has requested for a long time and now that Hamas is in the political arena.. they can be part of this wonderful process.

your so cynical moon

If I was as cynical as you, I would think that Hamas will never renounce terrorism nor will they admit Israels right to life..... Now that they are in this political arena, I am sure they will do the right thing....

Edited by hftmrock

Can you blame me ? Look what your President is saying;

Bush urges Abbas to remain in office despite Hamas victory

By Shmuel Rosner, Haaretz Correspondent, Haaretz Service and Agencies

United States President George W. Bush urged Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday to remain in office despite the legislative elections which gave Hamas an absolute majority in parliament.

"We'd like him stay in power. I mean we'd like him to stay in office. He is in power. We'd like him to stay in office."

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/674865.html

That's an incitement to civil war. He ought to be censured by the UN. Don't you have some sort of constitutional law that insists that your President thinks before he speaks ? What a plonker.

Can you blame me ? Look what your President is saying;

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/674865.html

That's an incitement to civil war. He ought to be censured by the UN. Don't you have some sort of constitutional law that insists that your President thinks before he speaks ? What a plonker.

the quote posted hardly says it urges him to stay in power regardless of the election results

Well this went better than I expected...my hats off to moon and rock for trying to bridge the gap....

Hope Hamas and the Jews can get this done in peace...and hoping we stay the hell out...ya hear me Mr Bush??

Thousands of years of hatred.

Generated by generation after generation after generation of indoctrination.

The US is what 200 odd years old?

It doesn't understand the complexities of the Middle East.

It should have left well alone.

What has it created?

Two Frankenstein monsters.

Israel and a Democratically elected terrorist organisation.

Both terrifying.

Reggie, we weren't just dropped in by a spaceship on this planet 250 years ago, all people have been around about the same time.

Israel and a Democratically elected terrorist organisation.

Both terrifying.

take that back reggie....

now that Hamas is in the political arena, they will, of course renounce any terror organization and proclaim the right to Israel to exist. This will be coming soon I am sure... They are politicians now, not a terror organization.

The future looks brighter now that a terror organization will soon be dismantled and Israel and their bretherin the Palestinians will live in peace

Dream on, 'rock.

The Qalqilya effect has now spread across the

occcupied territories, with Hamas reportedly winning

virtually all of the seats elected on a geographic basis.

Thus Hamas' success is as much an expression of the

determination of Palestinians to resist Israel's efforts

to force their surrender as it is a rejection of Fatah. It

reduces the conflict to its most fundamental elements:

there is occupation, and there is resistance.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article4425.shtml

Extrapolating- there is No occupation, there is NO resistance. It's clear what has to happen in order for your hopes to become a reality. In short- Israeli, go home.

Edited by moon

How come everyone trusts Hamas so much? I for one am worried (and a little angry) that they got into power. Just because they got into the politcs game legit doesnt mean that they will suddenly become all honest and play nice, in my opinion the opposite is true.

Who said they would be honest and play nice?

In the past they were honest and didn't play nice.

Now they have thrown their hat into the legitimacy of politics, this means now they can lie like hell while they don't play nice, and they can do it with the blessings of other politicians. ;)

Who said they would be honest and play nice?

In the past they were honest and didn't play nice.

Now they have thrown their hat into the legitimacy of politics, this means now they can lie like hell while they don't play nice, and they can do it with the blessings of other politicians. ;)

:geezer:

Why oh why does this sound so Familar?

When you are a Leader, Democratatally Elected by your People, facing an onslaught by your Neighbour, Why should you EVER BACK Down?

Would GWB do that? Would any other Country's Democratatally Elected Leader do that? Nope!

Hey, What is Democracy? I believe it is to stand up for your Rights, even if other People think Differently!

Otherwise it just makes Democracy a total Farce!

Just my two Cents worth, but it is a very real Point!

:sparkle::wub::sparkle:

wait......

As an elected polititian, your telling me they will continue to have a charter that calls for the destruction of Israel (which they reiterated a few days ago)??? They will strap bombs to little boys and girls and go on busses to blow up innocent women and children? then expect Israel to just listen to them??

Come on folks... This is the NEW Hamas... they are polititans now. They couldnt possibly expect their neighbor to go home when their goal is to wipe them off the face of the map???? I am sure they will denounce that charter and move to peace with their neighbor. No one in their right mind would deal with them if they said that they will continue to kill until every last Israeli is dead... No one in their right mind would believe Hamas is changed if they dont denounce that.... :thud:

:huh:

When you are a Leader, Democratatally Elected by your People, facing an onslaught by your Neighbour, Why should you EVER BACK Down?

hmmmm... Israel has a democratally elected leader facing an onslaught by their neighbor..... they should never back down huh.... Hmmm this gives me more to think about... thanks

hmmmm... Israel has a democratally elected leader facing an onslaught by their neighbor..... they should never back down huh.... Hmmm this gives me more to think about... thanks

Rock?

Just like to clear some air here, Mate?

Both Isreal and Palastine now have duly elected Democratic Leaders?

We, the World, should Support that Process? It is Democracy?

Whether we believe either side is Right or Wrong, we are obliged to let them do their own thing, without inteference from ANY OTHER COUNTRY!

That is my Belief, and I am sure it is yours?

I always hold my hand out in Peace!

I agree with you as I have stated in this thread.

Some people think Israel 'going home' is the answer.... :rolleyes:

your statement about Not backing down works on both side of that and I know you see that.

I say let them handle it... who are we to criticize them. I say let Israel handle it their way and Palestine handle it their way without critisism or interference.

My hand is Always out for peace and I have mentioned ALL through this thread. Both sides can do it now and get it done

I agree with you as I have stated in this thread.

Some people think Israel 'going home' is the answer.... :rolleyes:

your statement about Not backing down works on both side of that and I know you see that.

I say let them handle it... who are we to criticize them. I say let Israel handle it their way and Palestine handle it their way without critisism or interference.

My hand is Always out for peace and I have mentioned ALL through this thread. Both sides can do it now and get it done

It would be such a Wonderful Thing to the World, my Friend, if only the other Countries with vested Interests just stayed out of it? Just let the People sort it out? That would be Magical!