Sign in to follow this  
Champion_Munch

Very slow startup

I've spread the disease. :lol: I just timed it then and it takes 32 seconds from the start of the blue welcome screen to the finish, and then another 57 seconds before anything but the wallpaper shows up (I don't see any taskbar outline).

When I just popped back into BIOS, it said it was already disabled. :blink: Maybe because I disabled the services? :blink:

with regards

at this point if your sure things are disabled and your still getting startup lag, we are into removing the wireless adapter to another slot, if this fails we need to know how the drives are configured.

kd5 had an issue with his first build, the jumpers on his drives were not set correctly resulting in a lengthy boot.

edit: if you decide to move the adapter be sure to remove the driver first, then shut down to do the job, upon bootup windows will detect the card, hit cancel and load the driver cd.

Edited by duanester

Bummer. I think I've already moved it a slot due to trouble with it a few months ago. :(

I find it strange though, because last year I had this computer set up wirelessly for about 7 months with no bootup issues ever. I won't be able to get onto this for a couple of days, I have to work in the morning and I'll likely be busy for a bit.

Thanks for all the help. :)

with regards

I switch between wireless and wired all the time... Never had probs until now... Did a defrag (or three)

and reset my startup list (taking them out one by one again) and it seems to be fine now....

still stalls on the welcome screen though :crash:

Edited by bigchrome

Is reformating>installing an option in this problem?

The reason I started this whole thread was that the other day I was going through my services (recently formatted) ......

When ever I have startup or shut down problem's I run sfc. click start, click run, type in box

sfc /scannow

click OK.

Note: space between c /. It will ask for install disk.

It take's about twenty min. to run or less. it checks window protected file system and replaces any files that are missing or bad. Then go to windows up date and get all updates just to check if any were removed. (I have never had it reinstall any update's so far after the scan).

This has fixed the slow startup or shutdown problem's every time so far.

If this is xp give sfc a shot. :)

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

Is reformating>installing an option in this problem?

I only recently formatted this computer (actually, it was a while ago.. probably mid-November) because I had issues trying to connect wirelessly to my dad's computer w/wireless router downstairs. Needless to say it didn't help my problems (but last week I got local help, was on the phone for 2.5 hours and finally fixed everything up :)). I was just disabling the services I have no need for.

I certainly hope I don't have to reformat it again. :(

Thanks Shoot Me, will give it a shot now. :)

with regards

I was just disabling the services I have no need for.

Is it possible you disabled a service you needed? Things can get flakey when certian things are disabled.

Is it possible you disabled a service you needed? Things can get flakey when certian things are disabled.

I'd re-enabled all the services just in case that was the problem. :)

Shoot Me, I tried the sfc /scannow and it didn't seem to do much. :erm:

I'm also noticing now that whenever I reboot I have to fiddle around with the router settings downstairs to get back online again.

with regards

When I booted up this morning, it took about 3 seconds to go from the welcome screen to the desktop with everything loaded?!

Makes no sense, but at least everything looks back to normal. Thanks for everyone's help. :)

with regards

I'd re-enabled all the services just in case that was the problem. :)

Shoot Me, I tried the sfc /scannow and it didn't seem to do much. :erm:

I'm also noticing now that whenever I reboot I have to fiddle around with the router settings downstairs to get back online again.

with regards

I have had this slow down problem when video driver's get wacked after a new install of macromedia player and sometime's the directx file's get wacked as well. sfc is the only thing that has ever fixed this slow boot problem for me in the past.

I hope you restarted after scan was complete it should take less than a min. to reboot and solve your problem. :)

Glad to see it's fixed.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit