Sign in to follow this  
slickchick

DVD Roms wont fire

It has to be aliens... Only aliens can cause so much trouble, and leave without being noticed. They exist! The government is hiding them!

All I can say is: slick, good luck... Also, multigrain bread rocks!

Aliens?

I can buy into this idea. My pc adventures are always from another galaxy.To get this saga kick started again first I'll try the JackeL's suggestion of deleting the reg. The greatest results for me revolve around the delete option

Slick

Hi Dickster

just got up. Overslept big time. Theres around 15 or more instances of that filter code or whatever in the reg.I zapped em all and took a peek in MyComputor and now C drive is gone (just kidding). Didn't do anything. D and E drives still gone. Both still show in device man with code 10. Pause for JD refill..

Slick

Shall I put all those deals back in the reg or wait abit?

If ya could still reboot after dumping them, don't worry about putting them back.

So, still at square zero? But floppy back?

Ok. Before the JD took you to lala land, we were talking about removing all burrning progs and drivers you've installed lately. (Ok maybe it wasn't the JD) :lol:

Lets do it.

shall I remove all the programs at once or the most recent one at a time and work backwards timewise and peek after each one?

Whats odd is that the drives were working fine with a ton of that software at the start. I just kept adding programs till I found one that was able to burn and let me play on both pc and home dvd players. What you think?

Slick

You said that the drives worked fine for a few (5) days. Something caused them to take a hike. Must have been an installed program. But which? You remember the order they were installed?

So, if you do remember how they were installed, remove one at a time and reboot. Check device manager.

Hi Jackel

there is a ton of that DVD stuff. Tried em all too. Most failed but that DVD shrink and Nero6 works everytime, Pc or home player.

I thought about the format deal long ago cause I like to do that now but If I cant access the drive how do I run the Win2000 cd?

Slick

I thought about the format deal long ago cause I like to do that now but If I cant access the drive how do I run the Win2000 cd?

Slick

thats a good question slick.....have you tried booting off the dvd/cd drive to see if it works at all outside of windows??

Dickster

I think your right and I get alittle confused on which one was install here or there first but the install software deal on the pit tests show the date when software was installed. Just thought I'd peek at that and work backwards and narrow it down.

Slickchick

thats a good question slick.....have you tried booting off the dvd/cd drive to see if it works at all outside of windows??

I tried it no good wont fire even when set to 1 boot

Slick

Sounds good, but I would zap them all. Easier to install one at a time then to try to uninstall each looking for the problem prog. JMHO

did you set the bios to boot from cdrom first??

if you did and it will not boot from a known good bootable cd.....then the problem must be the drive itself (doubtfull if it happens with different drives), the ribbon cable, the bios settings, or the motherboard.

if you can't even get it to boot off of a known good bootable cd, then i doubt very much that messing around in windows is gonna fix it.

Hi JackeL

thats what I did and its a no good. I've got a idea here.

Slick

Okay It does boot when its on the Primary IDE cable. Nothing happens from the Secondary IDE port. And i think it was a no go when both drives were on the same Pri. IDE cable.

And the drive has been tested as good because it was used in a nother computer. Hope this helps with keeping others updated

Edited by shadowfox

Okay It does boot when its on the Primary IDE cable. Nothing happens from the Secondary IDE port. And i think it was a no go when both drives were on the same Pri. IDE cable.

Right you are. the cd even started right up but show errors when it couldnt find the unplugged HD

Slick

From an earlier post,

when you switched the cdrw to the primary channel and disconnected the hd, the cdrw booted to the Win2000 disc

So it will boot that way. Still leads me back to a software conflict. All worked fine before the last few prog installs, so something screwed things up.

Okay guys

been wracking the brain here and I think your all on the money so I've just looked at the old test of installed software and now I've figured out when the drives dissapeared. Jan 14 was the day.

Heres what happened that day and what was installed

"Photoshop CS2" Big pain there. I had version 7 My dad has CS2 he talked to them by phone wouldn't ativate on more than one pc. Dad wins Slick has CS2 and reciept.

Quicktime Jan14

Itunes

SWF PRO A flash Xmas gift from dad. Have CD and need both Qtime and Itunes to make it funtion.

Anyhow all of these programs are going in 2 minutes. Thats the plan. What you think?

Slickchick

JackeL, ya, we've had the hdd running on the secondary IDE channel and booted fine, so it's not dead. Known good cd drives get the same code 10 error which says driver error. Everything worked until slick installed one of the burning progs.

So, slick, go back to basics. Uninstall ALL playing/reading/converting/decrypting/burning progs.

Edited by dickster

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Heres what I did. Deleted the software installed on Jan14 and checked one by one to see if there was a differnce.

CS2 Zapped "nothing changed"

Quicktime Zapped "nothing changed"

Itunes Zapped HOMERUN!!!!!!!!!

Itunes came bundled with Quicktime which I needed to make my Flash program work. As soon as I removed it all the drives came back and all work great! No more Itunes for me. Now let me bolt this thing back together and see if it stays working. Thanks everyone for all the help. Ya can't beat teamwork like we have here!

Slickchick