Sign in to follow this  
Cloud

firefox?

I think all of the Mozilla builds -- Firefox, Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey -- are superior to IE. The only think I use IE for now is to get MS updates and run on-line AV scans. The Mozilla builds are far more secure than IE and simply superior in every way. Plus, they are continually updating and improving Firefox and SeaMonkey (which is a continuation of the originalla Mozilla Suite).

I vote for Opera.

When I tried FF it was slow and there were a lot of web sites that didn't work. Opera seems to work faster than IE and FF plus I have not run across a site yet that Opera can't handle.

Plus Opera has plenty of setups, preferences, without having to look for extensions or add-ons.

Ahem :soapbox:

IMHO, my PC and I sure yours too, most browsers are secure (even IE). I have used them all. IE is just fine if you know how to add additional protection. Some websites are gonna exploit wekneeses in the operating sytem through the web browser's interface. But you can hide in a box till it all goes away. You can get infected with downloading software (sleezy shareware). I have seen some crap dumped on PCs. Don't think a shady programmer that really wants into your system can be stopped. Just slow him down so much that he moves on to easier targets

In minimalist's terms : Firefox - for point & go & IE6 with Microsofts (or any bodys) background anti-spyware, and for the love of God... always have up to date virus protection

:crash:

IMHO, my PC and I sure yours too, most browsers are secure (even IE). I have used them all. IE is just fine if you know how to add additional protection. Some websites are gonna exploit wekneeses in the operating sytem through the web browser's interface. But you can hide in a box till it all goes away. You can get infected with downloading software (sleezy shareware). I have seen some crap dumped on PCs. Don't think a shady programmer that really wants into your system can be stopped. Just slow him down so much that he moves on to easier targets

In minimalist's terms : Firefox - for point & go & IE6 with Microsofts (or any bodys) background anti-spyware, and for the love of God... always have up to date virus protection

Well, NO browser is PERFECT.That's impossible. But in terms of comparing safety, IE ranks below FF. I've learned this the hard way(BTW.....THANK YOU BRUCE!! :worship: ),and IE's vulnerabilities have been acknowledged repeatedly.

IMHO, my PC and I sure yours too, most browsers are secure (even IE).

:blink: IE isn't secure by any means.

IE is just fine if you know how to add additional protection. Some websites are gonna exploit wekneeses in the operating sytem through the web browser's interface.

Yes, if you use IE. One reason IE is so insecure is because it's tied into the OS. Other browsers aren't. The second reason IE is so insecure is because of ActiveX. FF and Opera don't support it and never will since it has nothing to do with web standards.

You can get infected with downloading software (sleezy shareware).

That is not browser dependant but is based upon the OS only.

I have seen some crap dumped on PCs.

Only if using IE. Not if you visit those same sites with Opera and FF.

Don't think a shady programmer that really wants into your system can be stopped. Just slow him down so much that he moves on to easier targets

I agree. That's why IE is such an easy target and sought after. You go to a site and a script is given to you whether you know it or like it or not. Try that with Opera and FF and nothing bad happens.

I vote for Opera.

When I tried FF it was slow and there were a lot of web sites that didn't work. Opera seems to work faster than IE and FF plus I have not run across a site yet that Opera can't handle.

Plus Opera has plenty of setups, preferences, without having to look for extensions or add-ons.

If FF can't view a site it's because it's a badly coded site or is intentionally sent the wrong code like what happens a lot with Opera. MS got in trouble by Opera for intentionally sending different code than it did to IE to intentionally break Opera. That's a minority case and if Opera or FF can't display a page it's probably because of bad codeing. :)

Edit: But yes, you are correct, Opera is the superior browser and is slimmer, faster and a lot more configurable than any other browser. It's the leader in browser technology and has done what FF is implementing for years and is better at it. :)

Edited by smb

:blink: IE isn't secure by any means.

Yes, if you use IE. One reason IE is so insecure is because it's tied into the OS. Other browsers aren't. The second reason IE is so insecure is because of ActiveX. FF and Opera don't support it and never will since it has nothing to do with web standards.

That is not browser dependant but is based upon the OS only.

Only if using IE. Not if you visit those same sites with Opera and FF.

I agree. That's why IE is such an easy target and sought after. You go to a site and a script is given to you whether you know it or like it or not. Try that with Opera and FF and nothing bad happens.

I :) really do not care what anyone chooses, I use them all, they all have thier shortcomings and all of them excell at some things where the others lack. My systems run tight becuase I have seen the damage done these days when one drops thier guard. The AVERAGE person does not run thier systems so tight that's why I said if one wants point & go, use Firefox, it is the safest browser at this time. I would have no problem recommeding it to any one. :)

There was a time we did not need firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-spyware... I have been doing this too long I think sometimes, and watched Browsers evolve. Even Firefox at this time can not fight all of it.. Everyone would have to switch Os's ( Been there done that). But when the majority of users go with linux, for instance, who would they target then?

All things change and on the net... very, very fast . Thanks for the rebuttal :beer:

Edited by SledgeHammer

I :) But when the majority of users go with linux, for instance, who would they target then?

Been listening to that same FUD and misinformation for going on 7 years now. :lol:

Considering that the great majority of the internet is run on Linux/Unix, that the computer industry has been using Unix since 1970, and it is still the most dominant system in major corporations, and government servers, as I sadi earlier it runs the great majority of the internet, it's on desktops everywhere and whole countries are adopting it......................

Now being where it is, it is not only everywhere, but is right up front and center where everyone can see it and accesses it everyday.

We are still waiting for the FUD spreaders predictions to come true, waiting, and waiting and waiting.................

35 years and still waiting, how many more years do we have to wait for the FUD to happen?

I :) really do not care what anyone chooses, I use them all, they all have thier shortcomings and all of them excell at some things where the others lack. My systems run tight becuase I have seen the damage done these days when one drops thier guard. The AVERAGE person does not run thier systems so tight that's why I said if one wants point & go, use Firefox, it is the safest browser at this time. I would have no problem recommeding it to any one. :)

There was a time we did not need firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-spyware... I have been doing this too long I think sometimes, and watched Browsers evolve. Even Firefox at this time can not fight all of it.. Everyone would have to switch Os's ( Been there done that). But when the majority of users go with linux, for instance, who would they target then?

All things change and on the net... very, very fast . Thanks for the rebuttal :beer:

Hi sledgeHammer. :)

I have to totally disagree with you here.

Over the years, what do you think the difference in percentage is between servers that use IIS compared to those that use Apache? I only ask because I am not sure but I'm pretty sure that Apache has always been bigger than IIS. I remember MS forgoeing IIS and using Apache themselves. I wonder why? :)

A *nix distro isn't so secure because not many people use it. It's secure because it's open source and many people have access to the source and can fix any vulnerabilities.

Here's one back at ya tho even tho we disagree my friend. :beer:

Edited by smb

wow is linix really that big?

i have never personally used it

would u recomend it to a novice?

sorry this is off topic

No, Linux isn't that big. It IS that good though. I've only been using SUSE for about 3 weeks but I can honestly say that it was a lot easier to install and get going than Windows ever was. I didn't have to reboot once and the only time I do now is after a kernel update.

Why not give it a try and see for yourself? :)

I think you'll be like me and wonder why you didn't try this years before. :)

For the most part, Linux isn't too friendly to novices. However, there are novice friendly distributions out there that are even easier to use than Windows sometimes.

For the time being, just get Opera or Firefox, and when you think you're ready, there are alot of people here that are knowledgeable in Linux that can help you.

Also, last I checked, Apache ran 64% of the internet. I think a majority of the 64% is ran on Linux also.

Edited by brandon

so u wouldnt have IE on linux right? since its not part of the OS?

Omg no sir. :)

I wouldn't have IE on Linux, without Linux or on green eggs and ham. :)

Hi sledgeHammer. :)

I have to totally disagree with you here.

Over the years, what do you think the difference in percentage is between servers that use IIS compared to those that use Apache? I only ask because I am not sure but I'm pretty sure that Apache has always been bigger than IIS. I remember MS forgoeing IIS and using Apache themselves. I wonder why? :)

A *nix distro isn't so secure because not many people use it. It's secure because it's open source and many people have access to the source and can fix any vulnerabilities.

Here's one back at ya tho even tho we disagree my friend. :beer:

Hey back at ya' Bud :beer: I always said, I did not build this thing, just have to fix it. I think (personal interjection based upon my unique experiances) that as much as we all love to bash this OS or that OS it's all about $$$ and always has been. If things did not break (and often enough) I'd be busy playing games on my PC or something :rofl2:

Cheers :beer:

Been listening to that same FUD and misinformation for going on 7 years now. :lol:

Considering that the great majority of the internet is run on Linux/Unix, that the computer industry has been using Unix since 1970, and it is still the most dominant system in major corporations, and government servers, as I sadi earlier it runs the great majority of the internet, it's on desktops everywhere and whole countries are adopting it......................

Now being where it is, it is not only everywhere, but is right up front and center where everyone can see it and accesses it everyday.

We are still waiting for the FUD spreaders predictions to come true, waiting, and waiting and waiting.................

35 years and still waiting, how many more years do we have to wait for the FUD to happen?

:beer: New Orleans says it's OK to come home too. Hey I am with you, however I just anticipate choas rather than participate.

Heck, even this site begs to install an active-x plug to run the performance tests. A special plugin is also need to use Firefox as well to take the tests Active-x of itself is not a bad thing, it just is what it is... and we deal with it or do something else. I did not blindly press OK to install untill I was pretty sure there was not some extra cargo.

As for as OS's are concerned, Linux/Unix and all the spawns are not ready for the average consumer, but I wish they were. I use MS software because my people use it and that's how I have to do. Warts and all, the next release is gonna be a critical move for MS. Too many that they have knocked down have regrouped and are waiting to introduce "the next best thing since". ..

As a said before : for now...Firefox if you want point and go.

I appreciate your viewpoint :beer:

No operating system is ready for the average consumer.

Because the "average" consumer shouldn't be using computers. ;)

Because anyone can buy a computer, does not mean everyone should.

They make wonderful devices called "toasters" for the average consumer, and many of those consumers are hard pressed to operate the toaster correclty. :rofl2::pullhair:

Good luck using your old monitor with Vista... You have to buy an HDMI compliant monitor to even use Vista, or else you'll be locked out...

If I were to express my true feelings about Microsoft & Windows, then I would get banned in a heartbeat...

Good luck using your old monitor with Vista... You have to buy an HDMI compliant monitor to even use Vista, or else you'll be locked out...

If I were to express my true feelings about Microsoft & Windows, then I would get banned in a heartbeat...

Well, not sure about the politics here but I do know I can't be banned from here or any site so I guess I'll bite...

Yea, that's the whole sickening thing about MS that I have always hated. They've done some great things but their monopoly and "trounce the up and comer then buy them out" tactics are saddening and, imo, will forever shadow them kn the future no matter what they do. With their base and money they could have done so much more and that's how I do and will always remember them.

People think that MS is "becoming more secure" because they actually care about the users. Nothing could be further from the truth. One day peoples eyes will be opened tho.

People's eyes are already opening... That's why people are moving away from monopolistic companies like Intel & Microsoft more & more each day.

People's eyes are already opening... That's why people are moving away from monopolistic companies like Intel & Microsoft more & more each day.

I see in many posts we think very much alike. :)