Sign in to follow this  
Cloud

firefox?

hi cloud

ive been using firefox for a few weeks now and like it so much better then ie. if you ask me its lots

more secure and faster. its well worth a try. if you do try it go to tools and set it up. plus you can set it up to not download anything without you saying where it is to go.

hope this helps you decide.

Edited by dog_soldier

i am using explorer is firefox better or should i say would it be better for me?

Depends on what you need. So long as you have good surfing habits (not just randomly clicking links, reading things before installing them etc.), then IE is fine.

However, if other people use the PC that don't have good surfing habits, then you'll probably want something a bit more secure.

Firefox's biggest advantages at the moment are its tabbed browsing, and the ability to install addons to it to further enhance the product.

Best way is the try the product, it doesn't cost anything to try out. Don't like it? Uninstall is just as easy.

Upon install it should import all your IE favourites over, so you don't have to hunt around copy/paste them back in.

sounds nice but is it faster in a big way?

are the add ons free or do they cost and what is added?

does it take up more space?

what is it more secure from?

Faster????

I love firefox and have been using it for ages but it is in no way any faster for me, if anything IE is faster. At the end of the day when it comes to connection speed you get what you pay for!

E.g for me, IE is only 'faster' because firefox is a bigger program.

IF you want a faster connection get broadband (if you dont already have it).

Firefox isn't really faster in any way, except maybe in initial start up of the program.

Most add-ons are free. Usually add-ons are programs that help a person out, or are just for fun. Firefox's website has a link to a list of add-ons.

Space is relative. Firefox doesn't take up all that much space. But if you already have most of your hard drive full, then you might run into a problem.

Firefox has securities against bad web sites and most pop-up ads. There are other security stuff programmed into Firefox that I'm sure someone else knows about.

I've used Firefox for at least a year. I've had no problems with it. Best advice is try Firefox out to see if you like it.

More secure in terms of protection from virusus. This is more a function of the evil doers go after the more popular IE vulenerabilities, but it is more secure. Additionally since Firefox isn't so fully integrated with the rest of the Windows OS, if they need to do an update because of a problem, they can do so quickly. Weeks don't go by as they are right now waiting for the fix for the latest Windows vulnerability (some to do with ActiveX controls I think).

Add ons generally don't cost anything, and include things such as lots of different themes (color schemes, icon types etc.) and some functional things (which I am drawing a blank on at the moment). I am on the company laptop so have to be on IE. All the rest of the computers on my home network use Firefox as primary browser, and I keep IE on them only to do Pitstop tests.

Tabbed favorites/browsing is a great feature. I have an active patient advocacy group for a rare form of cancer. With a single click of a favorite selection, I can load all at once 8 sites that relate to the condition. This saves tons of time on a daily basis versus going through and opening 8 sites individually. Additionally by having all 8 windows open you can move back and forth between them very easily.

Faster is dependent on connection type rather than browser. Differences are difficult to measure, but you get the sense that pages load faster in Firefox. Don't know how to measure.

As inedibleshoe said, doesn't cost anything to download and install it. Try it, if you don't like it, the uninstall is clean and easy

Edited by rep801

A lot of speed issues between browsers is perceived. It depends on the rendering. Some are set to display instantly and others when fetched. Both cases may download the full page at the exact same time but on one hand you are seeing the page displayed as it's being downloaded whereas on the other you're seeing white until the page is fully loaded. Perception of seeing it as it's downloading makes it seem faster in our minds. There are speed variences when you consider browsers that can be tweaked tho. Having said that, I do believe that Opera is the faster browser and FF next.

Opera has settings that can be changed to redraw instantly or after a specified time. I'm sure FF has this also but don't know enough about FF.

Given the choice, I'd use any browser that doesn't use ActiveX. Opera and FF don't. ActiveX is MS propriety and not the web. There are so many security problems with ActiveX and that's why I wouldn't ever use it if I had a choice.

I also like Opera and FF because of the way you can configure it. IMO, Opera is more customizable with the User.js prefs and FF has the extensions. I've found that when upgrading the extensions in FF they tend to break but I still like the idea of them when it comes to personal customization. Also, the Opera Presto engine is the best imo but Gecko is very good too. If I weren't using Opera I'd be using FF for sure. I may be using FF in the future but for now, imo, Opera is the superior browser. They both have their good and bad points tho and that's what is so great about choices. IE and MS tries to make that not possible.

The only way you'll know what browser to use is to try them yourself. Everyone has a preference and IE works for some, Opera for some FF for some,Safari for some...You get the idea. :)

Edited by smb

Firefox's biggest advantages at the moment are its tabbed browsing, and the ability to install addons to it to further enhance the product.

That's not FF's biggest advantage. What are you talking about! Opera started tabs!!!! FF copied it!!!! Thus, FF has NO advantage of tabs because FF nor the developers have the brain capacity to create anything for themselves. Maybe you mean that's FF's biggest advantage over IE but it's certainly not their biggest advantage in the browser market. Opera has had that for years and IE is getting them in their next release. They copied that from Opera just like you FF users did.

You consider these "addons" as a promoting product? Well, these "addons" break with every upgraded version. So then you have to "addon" all those "addons" again...if you have the time and can remember where they are and what you liked to begin with. With Opera, it's all there in the small dl'ed versions that are half the size of the bloated FF dl's.

Almost all of what FF is today has been stolen from Opera. Yes, I said almost ALL!

What all of you FF fans love today, Opera has been doing these things for up to 10 years. You just have never even tried Opera before so didn't know it yet. We Opera users have always known tho. We all sit back and giggle how you fanboys get new extensions and go all ga-ga over them and we say "heh, We've had that for years." and ours is better.

I could give a list of all the copying FF does to try and emulate Opera but maybe it would be better you search or try Opera out yourself and see and learn for yourself. ;)

Even as a suite, Opera is half the size of a basic FF browser only. Yet, I hear from FF fanboys how "bloated" Opera is. Then, upon that, you add all those extensions to make FF worthwhile, yep, keep on adding on those bloated MB's, then where's your email at? Whoops, better dl Thunderbird= more MB= more bloat... I could go on but you get my gist. ;) That has to tear up the moz geeks tho. You know they have been racking their brains for years trying to figure out how to make a purely simple browser that does nothing have such a small footprint as a suite like opera. I lmao at that.

There is NO bloat in Opera at all. It's faster, more configurable and leaner than ANY browser ever made. I challenge anyone to say otherwise.

BTW, tabs in FF are not as good as in Opera by a longshot but I wouldn't assume they would be since it was copied from Opera. :)

I've read enough of these threads in the couple weeks around here to know where this is all going. :D

Bruce went through this with the Linux v. Windows thing. Well, I guess I'm the browser version of that. :D

As he was ready for any and all questions about that, I too, am ready for anything having to do with browsers.

In the end tho, I could care less about anything as long as it's not a MS product. That's all I care about.

Edited by smb

opera sounds good too but ive only just recently herd of them

i wasnt trying to start a browser war only searching for facts

about other browsers and also if mine is truely flawed or if i

did switch would i be trading one flaw for another?

opera sounds good too but ive only just recently herd of them

i wasnt trying to start a browser war only searching for facts

about other browsers and also if mine is truely flawed or if i

did switch would i be trading one flaw for another?

No, not at all. You should try whatever appeals to you. :)

FF is a great browser. Make sure you try it out.

Any browser that doesn't use ActiveX is worth a try as far as I'm concerned. :)

are there more that use activeX?

if so which would you stay away from?

why is activeX a problem?

are there others i should check out?

thanx for your continued advice.

I'm surprised Bruce hasn't commented on this yet! LOL...he must not have seen it. :laughing: If you're trying to do all you can to protect your computer, then Firefox (or Opera) is the way to go. IE is SO vulnerable compared to these that don't use the active x. I used IE exclusively for years, but with all the vulnerabilities involved I gave it up.My computer is really stable now, and I don't get near as much junk....or errors.....etc.....

Good luck! :)

Debs

That's not FF's biggest advantage. What are you talking about! Opera started tabs!!!! FF copied it!!!! Thus, FF has NO advantage of tabs because FF nor the developers have the brain capacity to create anything for themselves. Maybe you mean that's FF's biggest advantage over IE but it's certainly not their biggest advantage in the browser market.

I didn't specify. Firefox's biggest advantage over Microsoft Internet Explorer is it's tabbed browsing interface. I don't consider the Security as an advantage because the End User should know better than to visit dodgy websites.

FF doesn't have brains, it's a program. And perhaps FF's developers copied Opera's Tabbed browsing, perhaps they didn't; it's irrelevant in this topic.

You consider these "addons" as a promoting product? Well, these "addons" break with every upgraded version. So then you have to "addon" all those "addons" again...if you have the time and can remember where they are and what you liked to begin with. With Opera, it's all there in the small dl'ed versions that are half the size of the bloated FF dl's.

This argument is split. Are you trying to say that Firefox's Add-ons break? Does Opera have add-ons? I'm sure that some of them break too. And I'm sure the developer for Opera's browser also has to bring out a new version of their add-on. Argument nullified.

Or are you trying to say that Firefox's Add-ons are bloated? How so? If you can't quantify it you can't complain.

Almost all of what FF is today has been stolen from Opera. Yes, I said almost ALL!

What all of you FF fans love today, Opera has been doing these things for up to 10 years. You just have never even tried Opera before so didn't know it yet. We Opera users have always known tho. We all sit back and giggle how you fanboys get new extensions and go all ga-ga over them and we say "heh, We've had that for years." and ours is better.

And who's a fanboy now?

I'm sure you speak for a very small minority of people giggling.

Even as a suite, Opera is half the size of a basic FF browser only. Yet, I hear from FF fanboys how "bloated" Opera is. Then, upon that, you add all those extensions to make FF worthwhile, yep, keep on adding on those bloated There is NO bloat in Opera at all.

While it might be admirable that they've managed to cram so much into so small a MB download, how much memory does it use while running? More or Less than other browsers?

Download size counts for only so much. It only really matters if you're on Dialup internet.

It's faster, more configurable and leaner than ANY browser ever made. I challenge anyone to say otherwise.

Safari?

In the end tho, I could care less about anything as long as it's not a MS product. That's all I care about.

...and there you have it. He couldn't care any less so long as it's not Microsoft. Well done.

Microsoft is "really" that bad. End of story.

Get Firefox, or even the next best thing after firefox, and enjoy the internet to it's fullest without the aggrevations, headaches, and garbage that using Internet Exploder brings with it.

I won't comment on most of the other misinformation I just got done reading. ;)

I like FF, the only thing I don't like is I right clicked one of my pictures on Bruce's site and there is no option to save the full sized photo. or is this just me? I can save the small ones :shrug:

so if i simply added FF or another more secure browser and still kept IE

anytime i run IE i put the comp. at some sort of increased risk caused by activeX?

so if i kept both would my arguement for adding a more secure browser make sence, since i still may be using IE?

are there any reasons to keep IE?

You can not "uninstall" Internet Exploder without breaking windows.

Just install FireFox, use it, and enjoy the internet without all the garbage flies Internet Exploder attracts.

:laughing: oh my mistake

i didnt know.

so is FF idiot friendly

or should i find something more for me

EDIT: ppl post Internet Exploder i ment Explorer this is just a joke right?

Edited by Cloud

whats that in ur sig. about firefox plugin for pcpitstop?

also i would love to give back to a site where its user/members have helped me learn

but i have limited computer knowledge and an even more limited pocket book?

if i could prove my friendliness in some other maner it would only need pointing out.

thanks

And perhaps FF's developers copied Opera's Tabbed browsing, perhaps they didn't; it's irrelevant in this topic.

I only mentioned that because over time I've read so many people saying to use FF because it's got tabs etc but never mention Opera. I'm glad FF has them. I wished FF and Opera would get together and copy each other continuously to be honest.

Are you trying to say that Firefox's Add-ons break? Does Opera have add-ons? I'm sure that some of them break too. And I'm sure the developer for Opera's browser also has to bring out a new version of their add-on. Argument nullified.

Yea, I was saying that when upgrading FF some extensions tend to break. Some don't work because the extensions aren't updated. It happened to me and it has some questions in the Moz forums.

Opera has no extensions. Opera only brings out new releases. Sometimes for security and sometimes for added product.

Or are you trying to say that Firefox's Add-ons are bloated? How so? If you can't quantify it you can't complain.

No, I'm not saying FF extensions are bloat. I am saying they add to the bloat of the dl of FF but when talked about dl size, I never see FF proponents mention that. I always hear them talk about the bloat of Opera and Opera is a smaller program. So I never understand why that's said.

And who's a fanboy now?

I definitely am. :) I wouldn't have said fanboys if I meant it as a cutdown. I apologize to you if you took it that way.

I'm sure you speak for a very small minority of people giggling.

Again, I didn't mean it the way it must look to you in text.

While it might be admirable that they've managed to cram so much into so small a MB download, how much memory does it use while running? More or Less than other browsers?

Download size counts for only so much. It only really matters if you're on Dialup internet.

Opera uses a TON of memory when it's available. There are people complaining about it but it gives back memory when other programs ned it. I've also heard of FF people complaining in threads that FF uses 100+ MB too. I'm sure this is a minority but they both use a lot of resources and I'm sure FF releases it also.

Safari?

Yea, Safari is good! :)

...and there you have it. He couldn't care any less so long as it's not Microsoft. Well done.

All in all I was stating a case for Opera moreso than anything bad against FF. I just didn't do a very good job of it at all it seems. I don't go around cutting down FF except on a couple of occasions and that was only when people were talking about Opera in a negative way. I want FF to succeed and I'd be happier than a pig in :filtered: if they had 90% of the browser market and IE had 10%.

I try and use FF from time to time. I like where it's heading and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it became the dominant browser. If it does, that would help Opera also as the WWW wouldn't be coded for MS and W3C standards would apply.

I apologize to you immmensely for the tone of my previous post. I went back and read it and I can see how you could have aken it badly. It certainly wasn't meant like that and I didn't even look to see who posted it, so it wasn't personal. I guess I'm not very good in text because I was just debating when I posted that. Maybe I will need to brush up on my debating or my socialization online. I feel badly that you were offended and for that I apologize.

Edited by smb

Hey look no worries mate, I should apologise too. I was a bit too harsh.

It's nice to find somebody who can constructively argue their points without having to resort to 'omg noob' comments.

Have one of these :beer: on me.

<edit> Was going to put something here, but I've drawn a blank. I can't remember what it was!

Edited by inedibleshoe

I like FF, the only thing I don't like is I right clicked one of my pictures on Bruce's site and there is no option to save the full sized photo. or is this just me? I can save the small ones :shrug:

Open the picture, and right click on the full size image, don't right click on the thumbnail.