Sign in to follow this  
jenab

pc wont open any files

my daughters pc was running slow she ran a virus scan showed she had alot of trojan backdoor things

I bought norton for her and tried to install it but the last min it had an error and couldnt install. now the only things that open on her pc are the internet all the files on her desktop wont open most exe files wont even open the controll panel or nothing control panel when clicked on tries to make a shortcut to desktop only. any suggestions on what I should do wont even run and online scan for nothing. I would try to reformat but she has no disk with her dell please help I have a dell will my cd's work or how can you reformat if nothing in windows opens

Edited by jenab

:sparkle:You may need to uninstall the previous antivirus scanner,.....and it sounds as if you need to go into safe mode to uninstall.

Start the computer in Safe Mode:

-Restart your computer.

-When the machine first starts again, tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.

-Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys...Or SafeMode with Networking.

-Press Enter to boot into Safe Mode.

If you can connect to the internet,....run the SymNRT tool from Symantec to remove the new Norton's

incomplete installation

And while in safe mode try to install again.......connect to the internet

and run LiveUpDate for all virus definitions.

looks as if it is running a scan here will this show where the trojans are ? because I cant run norton from my pc it showed some yesterday in c windows system 32 and If I remember right some also in documents and settings she had like 12 with something that said trojan and some spyware and one point it said something about highjack

looks as if it is running a scan here will this show where the trojans are ? because I cant run norton from my pc it showed some yesterday in c windows system 32 and If I remember right some also in documents and settings she had like 12 with something that said trojan and some spyware and one point it said something about highjack

If you're running "Housecall", it will take care of them. ;) If it doesn't it will tell you where to find 'em so you can delete the rascals. Do you have Spybot Search&Destroy and Ad-Aware SE? If not better get them, update and run them to help get rid of that spyware. I also recommend SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard to help keep the spyware nasties from ever getting on the computer. Update those also. Also educate that girl about where she's going to pick up such things..... ;)

*hijack* is likely a "browser hijack" and may well need HiJackThis. Read the info here: http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=36065

;):sparkle:

how long does the trend micro program scan your pc this has been scanning since your last post im thinking its not working I cant get the downloads such as the spyware or highjack things to work looks like they are saving to desktop then I go to open them its like no file accoaited with any programs pretty much like all are shortcuts. only thing that opens on this pc is the internet and I see an aol account and recycle bin everything else is not working

Edited by jenab

One other thing to mention............if you are running XP, be sure to turn off system restore before you scan . It may be too late now, but if system restore is on, you will just put the viruses back on there when you reboot the computer.

To turn off system restore, right click "my computer", select "properties", click the "system restore" tab and put a check in "turn off system restore". To turn it back on....remove the check from the box.

One other thing to mention............if you are running XP, be sure to turn off system restore before you scan . It may be too late now, but if system restore is on, you will just put the viruses back on there when you reboot the computer.

To turn off system restore, right click "my computer", select "properties", click the "system restore" tab and put a check in "turn off system restore". To turn it back on....remove the check from the box.

I turned that off lastnight

I turned that off lastnight

I cannot open any windows programs at all how can I wipe out the hard drive and try to install windows again the cd wont boot up im about ready to just cry

Edited by jenab

Don't cry, there are a smart people here someone will get you going.

I just dont know what to do I cant run any programs can't download anything controll panel wont open anything. only thing I have that works on my daughters pc is the internet and aol will open but she dont use aol we have cable. internet programs are not running the removal tools I have to take care of my sick mother n law and try to fix this teenagers pc im just tired been working on it for 2 days

How are you getting here? If you're getting here on her pc, then there's still reason to keep your chin up! I'm curious.......did the scan ever finish from trend micro? They can take forever on first scan, especially when you're infected......

How are you getting here? If you're getting here on her pc, then there's still reason to keep your chin up! I'm curious.......did the scan ever finish from trend micro? They can take forever on first scan, especially when you're infected......

only get here the scan never finished it was trying to download but the bottom said 5 items remaining never changed I thought it was working till I seen that

can you do a scan here then?? Or, since you got trend micro to go, perhaps you can go to http://www.avast.com from here and get their scan. If you can, then avast! can restart your computer and do a boot scan.

Nope wont let me acts like its going to d/l the file then nothing opens

I just dont know what to do I cant run any programs can't download anything controll panel wont open anything. only thing I have that works on my daughters pc is the internet and aol will open but she dont use aol we have cable. internet programs are not running the removal tools I have to take care of my sick mother n law and try to fix this teenagers pc im just tired been working on it for 2 days

:sparkle: If you have access to Broadband Cable and do not need to go through AOL, then you might want to try going to DoxDesk Parasite and run that.

Then try running Trojan Remover which you may run and try for 30 days for free.

Then I would also run the newly released Malicious Software Removal Tool from MS which is a free download and install.

Last question would be, do you have the Windows XP Installation CD?

If all else fails, and it might depending on how infected the pc is, you may have to Format the hard drive and start over.

Yes, that will mean a loss of all saved files/folders as you do not know what has been infected and what is clean. There is no sense in attempting to 'guess' at what is clean and what is not. There is no sense in attempting to 'trust' an application to scan any/all files/folders for infection.

Does she have a Firewall and is it turned on and up-to-date?

Does she have an AV application and is it up-to-date and does she run it regularly?

Does she have spyware and adware detection and removal programs and are they up-to-date and are they used on a regular basis?

If you are able to get to the Internet and download and install, you may also want to go get Advanced System Optimizer which you are able to run for free for 30 days and it will detect and correct Registry Errors. :sparkle:

:geezer:

:sparkle: If you have access to Broadband Cable and do not need to go through AOL, then you might want to try going to DoxDesk Parasite and run that.

Then try running Trojan Remover which you may run and try for 30 days for free.

Then I would also run the newly released Malicious Software Removal Tool from MS which is a free download and install.

Last question would be, do you have the Windows XP Installation CD?

If all else fails, and it might depending on how infected the pc is, you may have to Format the hard drive and start over.

Yes, that will mean a loss of all saved files/folders as you do not know what has been infected and what is clean. There is no sense in attempting to 'guess' at what is clean and what is not. There is no sense in attempting to 'trust' an application to scan any/all files/folders for infection.

Does she have a Firewall and is it turned on and up-to-date?

Does she have an AV application and is it up-to-date and does she run it regularly?

Does she have spyware and adware detection and removal programs and are they up-to-date and are they used on a regular basis?

If you are able to get to the Internet and download and install, you may also want to go get Advanced System Optimizer which you are able to run for free for 30 days and it will detect and correct Registry Errors. :sparkle:

tried that site you gave wont work she has win xp and her virus was not updated so I got norton but it wont run now dumb kids

tried that site you gave wont work she has win xp and her virus was not updated so I got norton but it wont run now dumb kids

Guess im going to go buy a new hard drive and install that and make sure she keeps her info updated or unlocks her room for me to do it thank you so much for all the responses from everyone

No need to do that if you can just get the software for the HD so you can just erase it, since you have the XP disc. Perhaps there's a shop close by that could do it for you? Might be cheaper than buying a new HD

Guess im going to go buy a new hard drive and install that and make sure she keeps her info updated or unlocks her room for me to do it thank you so much for all the responses from everyone

:sparkle: If you have the Windows XP Installation CD, you are able to do this yourself.

No need to go out and buy a new hard drive. If you are able to install a new hard drive, then you are able to format the existing hard drive.

Sequence of events:

Restart the PC and as it starts to come up, tap the (Del) key and enter the (BIOS) window.

Look at the (Boot) area and make sure that the CD-ROM is the (Bootable Drive) by using the (+) key on the Numeric Keypad, select that drive. Move the CD-ROM to the (#1) position.

Tap the (Enter) key or (F10) to (Save/Exit) from the (BIOS) window.

Place the WinXP CD on the CD tray and insert the tray.

Restart the PC.

As the PC is beginning to start up, tap the (Space) bar to enter the (Format/Boot from CD) screen.

Select the drive/partition (C:) and then tap the (D) [not 'L'] and (Enter) for the (Delete) partition.

You do not want to (Repair).

Select the (Full) format and then tap the (L).

The Windows XP CD will format an 80 GB hard drive in about 35-40 minutes.

It will then automatically go into the (Install) mode for the Operating System.

The installation of WinXP takes about another 45 minutes.

Then, you may go back in to the (BIOS) window, as described above, and reset the CD-ROM as it was before instead of being (#1), but it doesn't matter.

It takes about 90 minutes to Format and Install on an 80 GB hard drive.

On my PC the Key Activity is:

(F8) = Safe Mode

(Esc) = Select Boot Device screen (for a one time event)

(Del) = BIOS Setup screen

(Space Bar) = Hardware Profile (unless restarting with a CD in drive)

You may need to have the WinXP CD License Key Code #.

It varies. Be sure you have it before you start, just in case.

Then, if all runs well, go online and the

Free ZoneAlarm and turn on the WinXP Firewall until you get what you want on the PC. If you have some WinXP certified AV, install and update that and set it to run on a schedule.

Get some adware and spyware detection and removal programs like

SpyBot and AdAware Personal as well as the MS AntiSpyware, all of which are free to download and install and use. Just be sure to UPDATE your Windows, IE, all protection and security applications and all that are able to be set to run on a schedule, set up a schedule. :sparkle:

Edited by tetvet6768

She can't do that Scott "I cannot open any windows programs at all how can I wipe out the hard drive and try to install windows again the cd wont boot up im about ready to just cry"

She can't do that Scott "I cannot open any windows programs at all how can I wipe out the hard drive and try to install windows again the cd wont boot up im about ready to just cry"

:sparkle: If they/you restart the PC there is not a Boot Info. screen and you are not able to tap the (F8) key?

How then does the PC restart at all?

They/you must print out the instructions that I included in the previous Response and then get to the (BIOS) window to set the CD-ROM as the Bootable drive.

If you are unable to do that then I would recommend that you look for a reputable computer repair shop in their/your area, preferrably one that also builds and sells quality computers.

One does not need to have Windows running any programs for Windows to restart and boot up.

How do they know they are not able to get the CD to boot at Start Up if they have not gone to the BIOS window and changed the bootup sequence? :crash: :sparkle:

Edited by tetvet6768