Sign in to follow this  
dickster

Where did my USB go?

Can't install my printer, since USB doesn't seem to be there. Not showing in Device Manager, which tells me it's not installed. Have ran my mobo install of chipset. No help. Windows update doesn't see them missing. Google just says to look for what I've tried. Where did my USB go?

Anything 98SE & above has native support for USB 1/2, so it could be the OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, or try to make me look like a fool, whichever works for you, because I may be wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or try to make me look like a fool

Brandon, when have I tried to do that? We've had a single prob. and thought it was over.

My problem is running w2k, I show no USB in device manager, printer doesn't install since no usb.

Could use help on that, without the above quote.

And thanks for any advice. :)

Yep, been there, but thanks. Thing that screws with my head is all was well until last format. Not going through that again for a damn printer, and that's the USB device causing the prob.

I had a big issue with a printer and usb also with w2k. the machine has sp2 only and it won't boot if the printer is turned on during power-up. I get a BSOD- I have to power the printer after startup.

But this printer has worked fine for last three years, and will probably work fine again if I can get my USB up. Therein lies the prob. Where is my USB.

But again, thanks.

Dickster, I have W2K running with a Phoenix Award bios. If your bios is the same, Look in the bios under "Advanced", "Advanced Chipset Features", and see if the "USB Controler" is "enabled". That's what mine is set to. I have no problem with USB. If yours is a different bios, look for something similar.

Edited by Signman

Nothing in bios about USB. All windows updates are done. Abit has no USB drivers on their website. Chipset drivers reinstalled. And it's still not listed in device manager.

Not sure where to go from here.

Have you tried a USB Card?

You may have to resort to a system file check or a windows repair. If your install disk is slipstreamed with SP2 that will give you the drivers without the latest updates, one of which could be the cause.

Not slipstreamed. And don't really want to do a repair if I can avoid it. What really irks me is it's always been there before. I've been using this printer for 3 years with W2K with no problem. Now wife needs the printer, and I can't get the damn thing to install till I find my USB.

I did a search, and the USB .inf file is on the system. So the USB should be there.

Yep, tried that and still not there. Newest Via drivers didn't help. I guess if I have to I can set the printer up on another pc and share it to this one.

Thanks everyone who responded. Did a bios flash and now have it back. But lost my raid array in the process. But not going to reformat to get that back.

you lost your raid array on a bios flash?? :blink:

what do 'ya mean by "lost"?

gotta realize that when you flashed the bios, it resets everything to default....and by default, the raid controller(s) are most likely disabled.

it should be as simple as just enabling the raid controller in the bios.

hey btw dickster....got my rebate today!! 4 months....lol :rolleyes:

Glad you got it fixed. I was gonna sugest a bios flash, and at the same time, had you flashed it previously? That is odd that it would just dissappear, but then agian computers are wierd. ;)

Glad to see ya got it working, so guessing by a flash, it was something in the BIOS... But what is what I want to know.

Edited by brandon

I lied. A reboot left me wift "Disk Failiar" Now on a brand new reformatted and setup of raid.. But new bios so USB is there.