Sign in to follow this  
DLANGDAMAN

Faxing in win 2000 pro

can anyone tell me how to setup my win2000 pro machine to fax out or receive faxes? I dont have an option. But I have a fax card in and it recognized it. I have a fax line hooked up as well... :pullhair:

Try:

Start/Control Panel/Add&Remove Programs - Left side click Add/Remove Windows Components - Check "Fax Services".

In control panel click the fax icon. You will have to add a fax printer...configure the settings. When you need to fax from the computer, open the document, select print from the file menu then select fax instead of your printer. That should do it. :)

In control panel click the fax icon. You will have to add a fax printer...configure the settings. When you need to fax from the computer, open the document, select print from the file menu then select fax instead of your printer. That should do it. :)

Seems that NO fax options are showing on my machine, after several reboots and reinstalls

Well, if you're not seeing a fax icon in the control panel, something must not be installed correctly. If the fax device (modem) is not present, there will be no fax icon in control panel according to MS.

Linky

Quoted from the above site: "You must have a fax device (such as a modem) installed for the Fax icon to appear in Control Panel."

Worst part about all this, The FAX MODEM shows in my device manager as good, all drivers are good. but no options to fax!! :crash:

I HAVE THE FAX OPTION NO WHERE!

AHHHHHHHH :crash: :pullhair: :help:

You need to find the driver for the fax modem. Then in the Device Manager, choose install new driver and choose have disk. Browse to where you saved it.

Any suggestions on how to find out the fax card manufacturer to search for the proper driver?

TBH I can't offer any clear advice on this, but I'm running 2k, I've NEVER installed any fax stuff on here and yet under "Network and Dial-up Connections" I have a fax printer there most times when I look (but typically this time there isn't) :blink: now my guess is my youngest does something on here (although she will claim she did nothing lol) and creates it without even knowing how, god knows she does stuff on here often enough to force me to reinstall within days and even hours sometimes, I have to reinstall again because as soon as I try to use my card reader my PC dies instantly, it just straight crashes as though the plug was pulled. :pullhair:

Now I just looked at the first link provided and followed it for the first part, and I have a fax modem icon in the cp, about the only thing I can suggest trying is uninstall your dial up (56k) modem (along the lines of what Signman was possibly thinking), get the latest drivers and reinstall it, see if this get your fax icon to appear, if it does then the first link should make much more sense as you can follow it through, not sure what else to suggest personally, I'll ask my daughter tomorrow after school what she does to get it up, but I can almost guarantee she wont know lol, but hopefully reinstalling the modem will help.