Sign in to follow this  
rossored

Java issues

About a month ago, i installed the Nokia PC Suite on my machine (Win XP Pro SP2) to manage the content on my cellphone.

Yesterday, I went to run a .jar application from CDROM, and found that Windows has associated this file with the Nokia installer, and so it (windoze) tried to open it with the Nokia program for some reason. So, I uninstalled the Nokia software, and discovered that the .jar file had lost all its associations.

I have tried to re-associate it with the javaw program in C:/Program Files/Java/bin/javaw, but it still won't work. I presume this is the correct file to try and run a .jar executable?

My problem is that I really need to be able to install this new program, and I'm a bit buggered if I can't.

Can anyone suggest a fix? I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest JRE from Sun Microsystems in case that hd become corrupted somehow, and reinstalled and the uninstalled again the Nokia software. I've also tried a couple of System Restores back to before the Nokia software was installed, but it won't restore back to them.

TIA.

Don't know if this will help or not but may be worth a try.

Thanks. Looks like it's associated correctly, it just won't run. I'm getting the "Java Virtual Machine Launcher:Could not find the main class - program will exit" error now.

Hi rossored,

Glad you got it fixed.

For future reference and education to other Members here, what worked?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Hi rossored,

Glad you got it fixed.

For future reference and education to other Members here, what worked?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

I figured I could spend several more hours looking for the problem, or I could format and re-install the whole damn OS in 20 mins.

In fact, from dropping the partition to getting back to a nice clean desktop took 19 minutes. I had all my stuff backed up on the D drive, so simply copied it back, reinstalled all my apps - and hey presto. It worked. Still don't know what the problem was, though.

Thanks.

Sorry it had to come to that, but happy you are back with a good operating system.

Your situation demonstrates the wisdom of forthought and backing up data and such.

Good work.