Sign in to follow this  
BWest36

Need a new virus protection software

My Nortons Anti Virus 2005 ran out and I want to get rid of it anyway because it lags my computer like crazy. Does anyone know of any good programs that have equally good detection and that don't eat up your resources like Nortons does?

My Nortons Anti Virus 2005 ran out and I want to get rid of it anyway because it lags my computer like crazy. Does anyone know of any good programs that have equally good detection and that don't eat up your resources like Nortons does?

Yes Norton is a resource hog... I know this from experience :lol:. But if you want a good antivirus that doesn't hog your resources then get Avast or AVG. I prefer Avast but I have heard good things anout AVG. I guess it's all personal preference :mrgreen:

Edited by Chris951

I am using Computer Associates eTrust EZAntivirus version 7.0.8.1

It doesnt take up alot of resources at all and works great. If you are a Road Runner customer then you can download it for free from http://www.help.rr.com otherwise check with your ISP if they offer any anti-virus software or if you are looking for free software you can try AVG and/or Avast.

What about Mcafee?

McAfee is also a resource hog and is no better than Norton.

By the way, AVG and Avast are not exactly light on resources either...especially Avast.

I'd recommend AVG, it’s free and reliable. Give it a try!

I've beeen using AVG for quite some time and find it does the job well-enough for me.

Keep your fingers well clear of the attachments and AVG free should do ya just fine...

If you like to live on the wilder side then invest in some panda,,sophos or trend micro and keep your windows cd right handy.

Avast slows my x2 4400+ 1GB computer to a crawl. I can't believe how much resources it uses.

There must be something wrong with your comp then, because I use Avast with a Celeron D at 2.66Ghz and 512MB of ram, and my comp doesn't slow down at all :P

Edited by Chris951

If you had to pick between Norton and Mcafee, what would you choose?

Neither.

I think you'll be happy with Avast!, AVG's reputation has been under scrutiny lately and you can add me to the list. Installed AVG on a customer's computer, 2 days later I get a call from him, AVG detected the presence of a virus but flatly refused to do anything about it. That's an embarrassment I can live without.

So far, have yet to have a problem with Avast! other than the fact that you wouldn't want to install it on a weak computer.

Weak meaning 200mhz Pentium Pro... :P -kd5-

Hey, I just realized, this is a thread about antivirus applications in the User To User forum. I'm gonna move this over to the Viruses, Spyware, Adware forum, I'll leave a redirect here so you can find it... ;) -kd5-