Sign in to follow this  
Guest gummadigk

"nslook" utility

Guest gummadigk

Hi,

I downloaded nslook utility, saved in a PATH directory and wanted to run. As soon as I click on "run' button, the dialog window is disappearing and there is no action.

From command prompt, I gave cmd as nslook and a dns address. The response says, that there is no inernal or external command like that.

What can be the problem?

You don't have to run it from a PATH directory. You can store it anywhere (Even the Desktop) and run it from there.

I just downloaded it to try (even though WinXP has it's own), and it's working..

Hi,

I downloaded nslook utility, saved in a PATH directory and wanted to run. As soon as I click on "run' button, the dialog window is disappearing and there is no action.

From command prompt, I gave cmd as nslook and a dns address. The response says, that there is no inernal or external command like that.

What can be the problem?

I also downloaded the routine and ran it from Command Promp, and the response I received was:

'nslook' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What have I done wrong?

You don't have to run it from a PATH directory. You can store it anywhere (Even the Desktop) and run it from there.

I just downloaded it to try (even though WinXP has it's own), and it's working..

I can't get nslook to work. You mention XP has its own version or similar feature. Please could you tell us:

What is it called?

How to we access it?

and could you give an example of what we would type in?

thanks, Jock (new user)

To install nslook, download the utility from one of the links to the right and save it to any directory, such as C:\WINDOWS, on the path on your system (i.e., any of the directories Windows automatically checks when trying to run a program--type PATH at a DOS prompt to see which directories are defined for your PC's path). This way, you can run the utility from any directory in DOS. There is no further installation.

To use nslook, first open a DOS box, MS-DOS Prompt or Command Prompt window (click here for instructions on opening these windows).

From the command line, type nslook followed by the DNS names and/or IP addresses you wish to look up, separated only by spaces. (<address> below stands for one or more DNS or IP addresses)

nslook <address>

The nslook utility will send each argument (address) to your computer's DNS server for resolution and display the result.

Here's an example of its usage and typical results. In this case, we are looking up four addresses:

nslook www.pcpitstop.com internic.net 18.26.4.10 208.216.182.15

pcpitstop.com 64.29.193.182

internic.net 198.41.0.6

reeducation-labor.lcs.mit.edu 18.26.4.10

www.amazon.com 208.216.182.15

Did you follow these instructions? If you do it should work. Make sure you place it in C:\WINDOWS. Run it through a Command Prompt.

Mark

Did you follow these instructions? If you do it should work. Make sure you place it in C:\WINDOWS. Run it through a Command Prompt.

Mark

I did Mark. When I clicked on the setup, all it gives me is the option to Run the program, and as soon as I click okay, it seems as if it gets installed but there's no option given for me to choose where to install it to. I've looked in C:/windows and can't find any reference to it there, so that will explain why I get the message that it is not a known internal or external command when I try to run it from CMD in XP.

I did incidentally find XP's own version: Nslookup and have run that instead which gives different results to those you've shown in your post.

Here's what happens when I enter the 4 addresses individually that you listed in your post.

Note: Server: SE587WLANdsl.tiscali.co.uk is my Internet Provider and

Address: 192.168.1.1 is the IP address of my Modem Router.

nslookup www.pcpitstop.com

Server: SE587WLANdsl.tiscali.co.uk

Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.pcpitstop.com.co.uk

Addresses: 195.238.237.142, 195.238.237.143

my comments > (notice above how .co.uk has been added after .com) It does this with all the DNS names, and the Addresses result is the same for all, except for nslookup 18.26.4.10

Similarly below, when I enter another 1of the DNS names, the same thing happens.

nslookup internic.net

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: internic.net.co.uk

Addresses: 195.238.237.142, 195.238.237.143

However, if I this time enter:

nslookup 18.26.4.10 I get the following, which is quite different from what you listed in your post.

Name: deadlab.lcs.mit.edu

Address: 18.26.4.10

When I enter:

nslookup 208.216.182.15 for amazon.com I get the following.

*** SE587WLANdsl.tiscali.co.uk can't find 208.216.182.15: Server failed

Finally, if I enter all 4 simultaneously, here's what happens.

nslookup www.pcpitstop.com internic.net 18.26.4.10 208.216.182.15

Usage:

nslookup [-opt ...] # interactive mode using default server

nslookup [-opt ...] - server # interactive mode using 'server'

nslookup [-opt ...] host # just look up 'host' using default server

nslookup [-opt ...] host server # just look up 'host' using 'server'

I use a modem router to connect to the internet, could the incorrect results I'm getting be anything to do with that?

Regards, Jock.

I think you're not saving it correctly.

Download the utility but don't choose "Run", choose "Save" and when the "Save in" box comes up, navigate to C:\Windows and save it there. There shouldn't be any "Setup".

Once you save it in C:\Windows you should never have to click on the program again. This is where opening up the "Command Prompt" comes in.

So you click Run> Type "CMD" ( no quotes)> then enter. then in the "Command Prompt" window type nslook> then hit the space bar> then type "www.pcpitstop.com" ( no quotes)> then enter.

Mark

I think you're not saving it correctly.

Download the utility but don't choose "Run", choose "Save" and when the "Save in" box comes up, navigate to C:\Windows and save it there. There shouldn't be any "Setup".

Once you save it in C:\Windows you should never have to click on the program again. This is where opening up the "Command Prompt" comes in.

So you click Run> Type "CMD" ( no quotes)> then enter. then in the "Command Prompt" window type nslook> then hit the space bar> then type "www.pcpitstop.com" ( no quotes)> then enter.

Mark

Hi Mark. Initially I had saved the file to C:WINDOWS and it didn't work. However, after re-reading your instructions, I saved the file again, but this time to: C:WINDOWS\system32 and ran it again and got the following results.

nslookup www.pcpitstop.com internic.net 18.26.4.10 208.216.182.15

pcpitstop.com 64.29.201.21

internic.net 208.77.188.101

deadlab.lcs.mit.edu 18.26.4.10

Unknown host 208.216.182.15

For some reason, the IP Address 208.216.182.15 for Amazon shows up as an unknown host

and the IP Address 18.26.4.10 which shows up on your example as:reeducation-labor.lcs.mit.edu 18.26.4.10

shows up on my results as : deadlab.lcs.mit.edu 18.26.4.10

If I enter nslook www.amazon.com I get > www.amazon.com 72.21.203.1 yet when I enter:

nslook 72.21.203.1 I get unknown host .

Doing the same again only leaving out the www.

nslook amazon.com I get

amazon.com 72.21.210.11

and similarly when I enter

nslook 72.21.210.11 I get

210-11.amazon.com 72.21.210.11

Something's obviously happening, but the results are somewhat different from yours.

I just gave you examples from the PcPitstop page that were included with the nslook instructions. I don't know the reasons for the various results. I was just trying to help you to get it to work, and it appears to be working. I tried a lot of other sites and it seemed to work okay. When I typed in exactly what you did I got the same results. I never even heard of this utility until I saw your post so I can't really say too much about it or help you figure out the results.

Mark

I just gave you examples from the PcPitstop page that were included with the nslook instructions. I don't know the reasons for the various results. I was just trying to help you to get it to work, and it appears to be working. I tried a lot of other sites and it seemed to work okay. When I typed in exactly what you did I got the same results. I never even heard of this utility until I saw your post so I can't really say too much about it or help you figure out the results.

Mark

I really appreciate your help Mark, and thank you. Persistence paid off and it does indeed seem to be working.

Much obliged, Jock.