Sign in to follow this  
andromeda

Mysterious split second pop-up?

I have started to get this quick frame of a pop-up that comes up about every 15 minutes or so. I can be in any program and IE does not have to be opened. I have run countless spyware scans and virus scans but they don't find anything out of the ordinary.

You can see my test results in my TechExpress link.

Any ideas? :blink:

Just to be on the safe side lets do this.

Download, install, update, and run Ad-Aware SE Personal

SpyBot S&D

Go to and run.

Trend-Micro Scans. Run the all three Scans.

PC Pitstop's Antivirus Scan

As for the popup, I would try to figure out when it comes up and when it does, it the print screen key right when it comes up, and then go to paint, and hit paste. If you did it in time you should have a screen shot of yoru popup. As for axually apps that take screen shots I dont' know of any so i can't help you out there.

Edited by Inprofile.

The last thing we do around here is tell someone to post a HJT log. The other programmes you suggested may work, if not, suggest something else.

We simply do not have enough HJT advisors at the forum.

Edited by Inprofile

Also Try Disabling these entrys that were in your pit test.

C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKUFIND.EXE

Edited by Inprofile.

The last thing we do around here is tell someone to post a HJT log. The other programmes you suggested may work, if not, suggest something else.

We simply do not have enough HJT advisors at the forum.

You've got to be kidding, right?

We're not to suppose to send people over for HJT scans--since when?

I realize there is a problem over there, but has it gotten that bad?

:blink:

Well, I think I've run every spyware/adware/virus scanner known to mankind ;) I have already disabled that entry just before I posted this thread. I've been watching a movie the last few hours so I'm not sure if that did anything or not but so far I haven't gotten that pop up since I've been typing this reply :) Gotta turn it in for the evening so I'll check back in the morning to see if anyone else has a suggestion...and yes, a HJT post I'll do only if these suggestions don't work. And BTW, I've already run a HJT scan and got my boyfriend to look at it and he didn't see anything out of the ordinary but he's not a HJT advisor. :crash:

She already disabled Google Toolbar, it still just flashes for a fraction of a second, can't tell what it is. Also, she's running Windows ME, she doesn't have a Messenger Service on her OS. One other thing: It flashes whether IE is open or not. -kd5- (for andromeda)

she's running Windows ME, she doesn't have a Messenger Service on her OS.

:thud:

I don't know squat about ME. Can you disable almost everything from starting up?

Does it do it in safe mode? (I know it's got safe mode. I just checked. :P )

Hey, I just had stupid idea #98,731. Video tape the screen and play it back in freeze frame???

You've got to be kidding, right?

We're not to suppose to send people over for HJT scans--since when?

Do you hear me laughing?

Since August 14th, 2004. Dave - "Try HijackThis last."

Andromeda, go ahead and post that HJT log. I'm quite sure that kd5 will have had you run all available malware/virus removal tools. :)

Oh and BTW...shutting off that running process: C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKUFIND.EXE didn't change anything...my mystery pop up is still flashing before my eyes... :blink:

Sounds as if the pit needs to recruit some HJT advisors PDQ! Why are there no people to help anymore? :(

Edited by andromeda

Sounds as if the pit needs to recruit some HJT advisors PDQ! Why are there no people to help anymore? 

Because Its hard work and to proctect our members we dont just let "anybody" work in that section.

Because Its hard work and to proctect our members we dont just let "anybody" work in that section.

I am in no way suggesting to let just anyone be a HJT advisor...I am suggesting trying to figure out how to recruit some people that could be HJT advisors.

If you are using AVG as your anti-virus, shut it off and see if the pop-up problem continues. I have experienced AVG doing what you describe but it generally happened when I turned on the computer. Its worth a try.

Do you use this?

IncrediMail Xe

The reason I ask is because I had a problem like this with a machine at work and this was the culpret. It was because it hadn't been activated. The only way I was able to remove it was to activate it (with their example name and phony email). Then and only then would it allow me to uninstall it.......then it wasnted to know why I didn't want to use it.

Edited by faith_michele

Well, I can't say exactly when the pop up stopped but I haven't seen it anymore and I don't think I would have just not noticed it because it was coming up all the time. I believe that it went away after Panda removed a trojan but I can't be 100% sure of that but I'd say it's a pretty good guess! ;) Drives me crazy that my PAY anti-virus program didn't stop/find or remove it but a free scan on line did! :(

Guest cdingler

Andromeda, can you tell me what scan you used to find it? I've tried several and still haven't caught the little bugger that's causing this. Any help is much appreciated.

C

Use the Panda scan as Intelguy gives you the link for. It's very thorough and takes a long time. It does remove viruses but it doesn't remove spyware but it shows you what you have and I think that that was the scan that showed several spyware thingies(haha) but we had to just manually remove them. I used so many different scanners that I've lost track of what all did what...sorry! I know with 100% certainty that Panda did find a virus and removed it though! Try this one too: housecall

Oh and by the way...I used Spybot, adaware, spysweeper, vcom and they didn't find anything... :blink: The full scan at The Pitstop was what first said there was a virus(I think it was actually a trojan) but the only thing that removes viruses that found anything was Panda. I hate those scans that tell you you're infected but don't do anything about it :(

Edited by andromeda