Sign in to follow this  
Yvonne707

Impeaching the President

Federal law and most state law reads that any statement made to a govt. official is considered to be oathful statement and is subject to prosecution if the statement is factually incorrect.

Show me where the Law says that. It is not oathfull until you swear you are under oath. Show me how many people are actually convicted of lying to the FBI.

There are plenty of examples. I cannot lookup Federal statute that covers this. I may look it up in FL state statute tomorrow.

In the mean time look at these newspaper articles. Note the charge of making false statements to Federal Officials.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02091.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5091901859.html

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0...44?OpenDocument

Here is a Harvard Law Review Article discussing this issue. http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/The_Pe..._of_Perjury.pdf

and this "False Statements to Government Officials

It is a violation of company policy as well as criminal statutes for employees to make false statements

or false claims for payment to the government. A false statement to a government official may be

made orally or in writing, and may be made by making an affirmatively misleading statement, or by

concealing a material fact from a government official. Moreover, an employee may violate this policy

even if he or she does not make the statement directly, but only provides false information to another

employee or a third party, knowing that it will later be provided to the government. This policy applies

in particular to any and all certifications and forms provided to the government." from http://www.clarcor.com/governance/clc.conduct.pdf

My notes cite 18 USC § 1001 but I didn't look it up.

Honestly I didn't know this was a controversial topic. Do many people think that it is not against the law to make false statements to govt. officials including police officers before arrest or charges?

Here you go

Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001 makes it a crime to: 1) knowingly and willfully; 2) make any materially false, fictitious or fraudulent statement or representation; 3) in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative or judicial branch of the United States. Your lie does not even have to be made directly to an employee of the national government as long as it is "within the jurisdiction" of the ever expanding federal bureaucracy.

& here from FL statute.

837.05 False reports to law enforcement authorities.--

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), whoever knowingly gives false information to any law enforcement officer concerning the alleged commission of any crime, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) Whoever knowingly gives false information to a law enforcement officer concerning the alleged commission of a capital felony, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

It is my understanding that most states have similar statutes but this is not my area of expertise.

Honestly I didn't know this was a controversial topic. Do many people think that it is not against the law to make false statements to govt. officials including police officers before arrest or charges?

Clinton's HUD Secretary, Henry Cisneros, pled guilty in 1999 to lying to the FBI about payments he had made to his mistress. He was fined $10,000 for the misdemeanor conviction. He was pardoned in 2001.

Its not fair..the left treats their own to one set of values...while holding the right to another set...

The investigation was conducted by an independent prosecutor appointed by Attorney General Janet Reno. Funny thing is, he never quit. Despite the Republicans reluctance to have an independent prosecutor investigate themselves, the Republican Congress has continued to fund this investigation of the Clinton Administration. As of this year, the tab was $20+ million. Add in the $50+ million for the Whitewater investigation, and it's apparent that the Republicans are willing to spend any sum to look for dirt in the Clinton Administration despite the meager results.

I'm still wondering how the Republicans would fare if the same effort was applied to them.

that reminds me of something really funny i saw today..

i was running after school, and i stoped at a convience store to buy some water..

so i bough some..and on all the bills i got back, were stamped saying

"Bring our soldiers back now!, IMPEACH BUSH!"

i thought that was the most hilarous thing ever..

No I never said it was not against the law to make false statements to Govt. officials. I wanted a law that said it was perjury. Perjury is defined as lying under oath in a court of law. It is a much worse offense than lying to a government official. Also if you notice, those cases you linked to the charge of lying is linked to obstruction. Martha Stewart was never charged with obstruction. It really comes down to the type of charge we are talking about. Making false statements is just not no where near as serious as perjury and obstruction.

Edited by mstlyevil

Here are some links on the charge of perjury.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=h...jury.htm&e=9797

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=6&q=h..._79.html&e=9797

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=20&q=...p032.htm&e=9797

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oath

This is what I am talking about is lying under oath which only happens in a court of law.

i told all u ppl from the get go ...he was bad news..but every 1 slams me instead of lookin at what i said

i was hopin id feel better watchin every 1 back peddle on thier thoughts about the man..but seeing how everything is going down i just feel worse

nothing else needs to be said cuz ive already said it

i told all u ppl from the get go ...he was bad news..but every 1 slams me instead of lookin at what i said

i was hopin id feel better watchin every 1 back peddle on thier thoughts about the man..but seeing how everything is going down i just feel worse

:beer:

Show me where the Law says that.

Are you suggesting that it's morally acceptable to prevaricate when one holds public office?

I

He who??? bush? clinton? carter? countrydave? rhizome? volt? Iain?

This thread will be renamed shortly :mrgreen:

I like bush...hate clinton...like all ya members... :lol: v

Under Federal law perjury does not require an oath

CHAPTER 79 > § 1621 Prev | Next

§ 1621. Perjury generally

Release date: 2005-08-03

Whoever—

(1) having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the United States authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or

(2) in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true;

is guilty of perjury and shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. This section is applicable whether the statement or subscription is made within or without the United States.

Under Federal law perjury does not require an oath

CHAPTER 79 > § 1621 Prev | Next

§ 1621. Perjury generally

Release date: 2005-08-03

Whoever—

(1) having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the United States authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or

(2) in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true;

is guilty of perjury and shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. This section is applicable whether the statement or subscription is made within or without the United States.

TITLE 28 > PART V > CHAPTER 115 > § 1746 Prev | Next

§ 1746. Unsworn declarations under penalty of per­jury

Release date: 2004-10-27

Wherever, under any law of the United States or under any rule, regulation, order, or requirement made pursuant to law, any matter is required or permitted to be supported, evidenced, established, or proved by the sworn declaration, verification, certificate, statement, oath, or affidavit, in writing of the person making the same (other than a deposition, or an oath of office, or an oath required to be taken before a specified official other than a notary public), such matter may, with like force and effect, be supported, evidenced, established, or proved by the unsworn declaration, certificate, verification, or statement, in writing of such person which is subscribed by him, as true under penalty of perjury, and dated, in substantially the following form:

(1) If executed without the United States: “I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date). (Signature)”.

(2) If executed within the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths: “I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date). (Signature)”.

Here is the code the second part of the previous code referenced as what a constitutes purjury. These Statements are always signed documents that are to be used in a court of law. Again Lying to the FBI is not the same charge as long as you are not signing a statement. This is why they did not try Martha Stewart for perjury.

This is why you have trhe right to shut your trap when confronted by the FBI. :mrgreen:

Yep...thats why martha did her time...and thats how I learn... :lol: v