Sign in to follow this  
Yvonne707

Impeaching the President

Without a minimum wage the gap between the rich and the poor would be challenged only by the grand canyon.

I dont know that a minimum wage and a prevailing wage are the same thing

I dont know that a minimum wage and a prevailing wage are the same thing

You did the same thing chop did. Read my post in response to his similar response. Geeze guys. READ WHAT I QUOTED FIRST!

first of all, most americans obviously don't support impeaching the president. most americans voted for him. second, he did not lie, people can lie and say that he lied all they want, but it simply wasn't a lie.

Not true. Voter turnout wasnt high enough for most Americans to have voted for him. Of those that DID vote, more voted for him than against him. Edited by Neo X1

Not true. Voter turnout wasnt high enough for most Americans to have voted for him. Of those that DID vote, more voted for him than against him.

Which is a good sign of us getting what we deserve I think...

This isn't about minimum wage by any stretch.

Your absolutelty right it is not about the minimum wage.

It is about stealing a decent wage from hard working people (prevailing wage) and putting the difference in the pockets of corporate buddies.

I find nothing more disgusting, repulsive, and totally out of line then to try and hurt the little guy especially when the little guy is already hurting so badly.

So while it isn't about the minimum wage, it is about taking decent jobs, at a decent wage and turning them into minimum wage crap. Just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for.

If the man were in shooting distance of me I fear what might happen.

Edited by Bruce

Oouuchhh.............

Psst...hey Bruce .....wanna buy a magic bullet................. ;)

Posted Image

slightly used of course.............

I don't think there is a dicernable difference between the mainstream parties at this point- they are both equally flacid, decrepid, and decadent in my opinion.

Science has been subverted and twisted, God's name has been sullied, and normal everyday concerne for fellow human beings has been thoroughly trampled on by both sides of the aisle for the last 16 years and I am sick of it.

If there is anyone at fault for the charicature of what we have for a federal system it is you and I for letting these people stay in. We are perfectly happy to point fingers when the other guy is being a jackass, but when our own pork-barrel is threatened we justify the corruption with righteous zeal.

Economy, Foreign Policy, Environment, Quality of Life, etc are all symptoms that people are being distracted by and attacking. None of these issues are black and white in their solution- and none directly address the nexus of the problem.

:beer: :beer:

Bravo.

Your absolutelty right it is not about the minimum wage.

It is about stealing a decent wage from hard working people (prevailing wage) and putting the difference in the pockets of corporate buddies.

I find nothing more disgusting, repulsive, and totally out of line then to try and hurt the little guy especially when the little guy is already hurting so badly.

So while it isn't about the minimum wage, it is about taking decent jobs, at a decent wage and turning them into minimum wage crap. Just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for.

Funny, all the guys that I have been talking to are one and two man operations that are positively drooling at the money they will be making down there as contractors in IT and telecom.

Disgusting? Yes, absolutely. But to think that it is isolated to the corporations is a fantasy. The "working man" is wringing his hands at the possibilities as well. I don't buy into the glorification of the blue collar work ethic, it simply died away too long ago and has been replaced with an apathy mixed with an adversarial approach and disdain for all those that they don't feel is close within their fold. I say that as a former labor union member.

Edited by Chopdoc

What does a one man operation have to with prevailing wage?

Do you even understand the concept?

You are the one portraying greed as a corporate character and implying that the "working man" is not taking part in that.

Do I understand? Yes, very well I think. Attempting to assure a prevailing wage under such circumstances is folly in my opinion. There are much more important matters at hand. I believe the President did the right thing.

Hmmm...I wonder if the docs and nurses in those hospitals on their feet for days are going to bill anybody for that time? Not. They are still working in fact.

People need to get real. People are still dying.

Decent jobs at a decent wage? Forcing artifically high wages is what has driven manufacturing jobs out of this country. In a situation such as this the market should decide, the wages may even be higher due to high demand for expierienced labor.

It may even in fact raise wages in other parts of the country due to a labor migration to that area. To say wages will automatically go lower because of this is somewhat short sited in my opinion.

Ahhh yes, of course how silly of me to think that large companies will pay more, when they have the opportunity to pay less. :rofl3: I must have lost my mind for a moment. :thud:

I would not get up in the morning for the prevailing wage in Louisiana, to think that allowing large companies to pay less would somehow encourage them to pay more and that would raise the wage elsewhere is laughable.

:filtered: on their heads economics (trickle down)reeks and always will.

I don't see how basing the prevailing wage on,at least in my state, union wages is in anyway forcing "artificially high wages" there is nothing artificial about decent days wage for a decent days work.

Anyone who thinks these rates are too high for skilled labor, has never worked an honest day in their lives.

Louisiana Prevailing wages

Carpenter (including

formbuilding/formsetting)......$ 11.88                

Cement Mason/Concrete Finisher.$ 12.58                

Electrician (including

traffic signal wiring and

installation)..................$ 12.36                

Ironworker, Reinforcing........$ 12.33                

Laborers                  

Asphalt Raker...............$  8.95                

General including

landscape/erosion...........$  8.48                

Guardrail...................$  8.21             1.80

Jack Hammer/Vibrator........$  8.92                

Mason Tender................$  8.63                

Pipelayer...................$  9.71             1.12

Striping/Pavement Marker

including paint striping

and attachment of

reflector buttons...........$  7.93                

Traffic Control including

flagger, sign placement,

barricades, and cones.......$  8.15                

Painter, Brush, Spray and

Roller.........................$ 13.40             2.55

Piledriverman..................$ 13.97                

Power Equipment Operators

Air Compressor..............$  9.04                

Asphalt Distributor.........$  9.11                

Asphalt Paving Machine......$ 13.30             0.18

Asphalt Screed..............$ 11.86                

Asphalt/Aggregate Spreader..$ 10.49                

Backhoe/Excavator...........$ 11.31                

Bobcat/Skid Loader..........$ 10.00                

Broom/Sweeper...............$  9.30                

Bulldozer...................$ 12.00                

Concrete Saw................$  9.00                

Crane.......................$ 14.82                

Front End Loader............$  9.60                

Mechanic....................$ 11.97                

Milling/Cold Planing Machine$ 13.08                

Motor Grade/Blade...........$ 11.68                

MTV/Shuttlebuggy............$ 10.43                

Post Drive including

guardrails..................$ 10.96                

Roller......................$  9.97                

Stabilizer..................$  9.44                

Trackhoe....................$ 12.59                

Tractor.....................$ 11.90                

Trenching/Boring Machine....$  8.50                

Truck drivers

Dump (all types)............$ 10.19                

Flatbed.....................$  9.46                

Lowboy......................$ 12.48                

Pickup including paint truck$  9.90                

Tack........................$  9.28                

Water.......................$ 10.60         

Edited by Bruce

I would not get up in the morning for the prevailing wage in Louisiana

which is exactly my point. If the majority of workers are like you then wages will increase to the point where people will "get up in the morning" and due to the extent of labor needed to rebuild they may even travel.

bruce where did you find that info?>

Edited by one2gamble

For your own state, the easiest way to find the info is just change the state letters

For instance Louisiana http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/la.html

California http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/ca.html

Massachussetts http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/ma.html

You get the idea. :tup:

Or go here

http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/allstates.html

Edited by Bruce

I suspect doctors aren't yet billing for their services. The military doctors and the FDMAT doctors are getting paid for their services but isn't this apples and oranges. I don't think anyone is suggesting that doctors should get $10 an hour for the next few years to months. They will soon be charging their usual and customary fees. That is not being allowed for other categories of workers.

Regardless of the circumstance under which Clinton and Bush lied, Bush's lies were far more serious and destructive. Clinton's sex life had nothing to do with war, economy, and death. They actually did consider impeaching Clinton because of something that not only didn't concern his presidency or the nation, but was entirely within his own moral and personal boundaries. There is of course the matter of Gore's potential presidency over Bush had Clinton been impeached, but then, he didn't seem like such a trustworthy candidate either. My biggest concern is how utterly wasteful Bush is with our resources, and he doesn't seem to aknowledge that there IS a limit and he needs to be more conservative! Gas prices are being taxed outrageously, and this is partially, if not mostly, due to the fact that Bush makes his money on oil. Alot of people don't actually realize right now how badly our economy has suffered. A depression is not only inevitable, but just around the corner. :mrsgreen:

Ahh nevermind...my mind was just going feeble for a minute..:geezer: ...better just be quiet I spose.. :mrgreen: v

Ahhh yes, of course how silly of me to think that large companies will pay more, when they have the opportunity to pay less. :rofl3: I must have lost my mind for a moment. :thud:

I would not get up in the morning for the prevailing wage in Louisiana, to think that allowing large companies to pay less would somehow encourage them to pay more and that would raise the wage elsewhere is laughable.

:filtered: on their heads economics (trickle down)reeks and always will.

I don't see how basing the prevailing wage on,at least in my state, union wages is in anyway forcing "artificially high wages" there is nothing artificial about decent days wage for a decent days work.

Anyone who thinks these rates are too high for skilled labor, has never worked an honest day in their lives.

Louisiana Prevailing wages

Let me clarify. Nobody said it was too high. What I said was artificially fixing it was incorrect in these circumstances, quite a different matter.

Let them play experimental economics at other times, not now.

Let me clarify. Nobody said it was too high. What I said was artificially fixing it was incorrect in these circumstances, quite a different matter.

Let them play experimental economics at other times, not now.

Absolutely correct, let Bush play his screw the little guy games at other times, not now, leave the law in tact, leave it alone, let the people keep the prevailing wage.

I suspect doctors aren't yet billing for their services. The military doctors and the FDMAT doctors are getting paid for their services but isn't this apples and oranges. I don't think anyone is suggesting that doctors should get $10 an hour for the next few years to months. They will soon be charging their usual and customary fees. That is not being allowed for other categories of workers.

I don't believe it is apples and oranges at all. Doctors, nurses, technicians, etc.....

Nobody said anybody should get $10 an hour for any period of time. Really, go back and look. What I have advanced is that the time for experimental economics practices that have been p[roven to be failures in the best of times is not now, especially not now.

The prevailing wage is a failure? :lol:

Care to explain that theory?

BTW your right, Bush didn't say pay 10 dollars an hour, he doesn't even want to let the people make 10 dollars an hour, he thinks they should be paid less, for the reconstruction period.

Edited by Bruce

Raising minimum wage is a theory that has no merit for helping the poor. The higher the wages go, the lower the companies profits get and then they will lay people off to maintain their profits. You have to figure that the sole purpose of business is to make money. There are many proven methods to raising the standard of living however employing those methods cost alot of taxpayer money to get started.

The Davis-Bacon Act, which guarantees that government contractors pay the prevailing wage, does not set wages--artificially or otherwise. The market determines, or sets, wages. For the purpose of enforcing the Davis-Bacon Act, the Treasury Dept is charged with studying the regional employment data, including unemployment, to ascertain what the prevailing wage is.

There are two aspects to the administration's plan for the recovery of the Gulf Coast. First is the political nature of the actual contracting which rewards White House friends and cronies to the detriment of the tax-payers. The second is the just plain meanness in punishing working families by ensuring that their earnings will be lower.

The worker's choice, take it or leave it, is a hollow choice. Though likely once prosperous, working families who have lost their jobs and their homes and now have little more than the clothes on their backs, will have to accept jobs at less than the prevailing rate thanks to the Republicans. As they struggle to rebuild their lives, their expenses will be higher than ever--starting over is not cheap. It hardly seems fair that those who have suffered so much will be denied the protection of the Davis-Bacon Act--especially since all Americans elsewhere are covered by these protections.

This will affect all of the region's citizens--not just the working class. The American economy is consumer driven. It is consumer spending which fuels the economy. In the Gulf Coast region wages will be depressed, expenses will be higher than ever, and there will be little disposable income. Local businesses--bars and restaurants, insurance agencies, car dealers, etc.--will soon see that there is a lot less money being spent in the region for their products and services.

And yet, the Gulf Coast region will now have to endure one more hardship on the road to recovery.

Edited by rhizome

You can't impeach somebody for being a poor speaker. He isn't dumb by any stretch but it seems that people take some pleasure in making the accusation. He sounds dumb, he looks dumb....but that means little. He became President of the United States...what have the ones who call him dumb done lately? Although one could be dumb and become President, it isn't likely.

I called him dumb and what have I done lately? raised a kid singlehandedly, take care of an 87 year old woman who is losing her mind daily, hope and pray the eye dr I am taking my kid to will help him to finally drive before hes 20 years old, still manage to keep this household fed, clothed and somewhat happy on not a whole lot of money.

Can bush say that? nope. Hes never wanted for a thing. So yeah I can say hes dumb and theres nothing superficial about it in the least. Hes never struggled a day in his life for anything. Money and influence got him where he is.. not his brains by any means of the word.

B) And theres my two cents for the day