Sign in to follow this  
CowboyMike

Win 98 New Install

Hello all again! I have a new issue of WIndows 98. I installed on my other computer clean new Win 98 and can get online with it how ever it says errors after errors and can get on the Windows web site how ever with errors so I would like to know what to do about this and how do I update win 98. This OS is so :geezer: I do not rememeber the tricks need a little help.

P.S. This is a back up computer for my main computer through a linksys router :lol: In case I ever need to back up and deltree my OS :shifty:

So, if you can get online, what's the problem? To get updates, in IE click tools>windows update.

It should scan your pc. Download all the service packs and critical updates.

If that doesn't work, should be able to find them HERE

So, if you can get online, what's the problem? To get updates, in IE click tools>windows update.

It should scan your pc. Download all the service packs and critical updates.

If that doesn't work, should be able to find them HERE

Here is the error I getwhen I click to update windows

Internet Explorer Scrip Error

Line 521

Char 1

Error Syntax error

Code 0

Hello all again! I have a new issue of WIndows 98. I installed on my other computer clean new Win 98 and can get online with it how ever it says errors after errors and can get on the Windows web site how ever with errors so I would like to know what to do about this and how do I update win 98. This OS is so :geezer: I do not rememeber the tricks need a little help.

P.S. This is a back up computer for my main computer through a linksys router :lol: In case I ever need to back up and deltree my OS :shifty:

P.S. I have a Linksys router conecting both computers as well as this one gets online how ever have no way to send or transfear files

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding here. So you can, or can't get online?

If not, what kind of errors are you getting? And what kind of connection? DSL,Cable?

My bad, sorry about that. If I connect straight to the internet I still have problems from my cable internet modem. When I connect to my router I still get them. I can get on line eather method I use. I keep getting script errors and says This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Ok. Lets try this. Open IE and click tools>internet options>advanced. Scrool down and disable script debugging.

Reboot and see if this helps.

Alow me to clearthis up a little bit sorry for the lack of info. This computer is old and going to be used ofr a back up/get on line check email computer nothing much more. So I installed windows 98 the OS that belongs on it as it is to old for newer OS's do to it's slowness. How ever that is fine with me as I said it is also a back up if need be for what ever purpusses. With that said I have not added any new progies or updates as I can not doing do to the issues as I stated prier at hand. Hope that helps a little. Also I connect to the internet through a D Link eathernet card not on boar or usb.

Nice to see ya. :lol:

Now run a test and post the results. Lets dial this old thing in.

:tup:

Great brb then give me a few to this with the stone age cpu lol :beer:

Can't do jack about the memory right now, but click each of the other tips and follow the instructions to fix the problems. Main one being defragment!

Once done, post a new test.

Ok. Looking better. Now click each of these on your test page, and do the fix.

• Check IE Restricted Sites zone

• Use a better video mode

Retest, and it should be looking a whole lot better. We're getting this thing going! :mrgreen:

cowboy mike i have a liknksys also...transfer is no prob....to get files (peer to peer) u have to open a port

Edited by RedSix

Retest, and it should be looking a whole lot better. We're getting this thing going! :mrgreen:

SWEET THANKS! BRB!

Also haven trouble in Device manager with one thing PCI System Management BUS has a exclamaishion mark and can not fix it any ideas how to fix the rest of this lol thanks so much to all in advance and for the past help!

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=LBAVNWDK91CSFK0U

new test!

Fixed the one problem how ever on the mem and video I think I am done for. :(