• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:34 AM

you need a motherboard with the correct socket type for the cpu, so for ryzen am4 cpu's you need an am4 socket motherboard. :- https://www.singular...amd-socket-am4/

I can install heat-sink and fan but WITH-OUT put the THERMAL INTERFACE MATERIAL for test, and after ready to install OS put this material, attach heat sink and fan, open PC, if again all ok install the OS?

no, you always install the cpu and fit the heatsink and fan with thermal paste, then never remove heatsink and fan unless you have a problem. thermal paste will probably already be applied to the bottom of the heatsink and will just need fitting if not then you will need to add thermal paste before fitting the heatsink.

how to build a pc :-

:b33r:

just for info.

from my understanding with amd ryzen cpu's if the code ends with box it comes with heatsink and fan and if it ends with wof then there is no heatsink and fan included so you will need to buy one as well.

so looks like all the x family cpu's don't come with a heatsink and fan same as all new intel k cpu's don't.

Edited by terry1966, 07 August 2017 - 03:01 AM.

#22 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:44 AM

That's a good tutorial.

Only thing I would add is the use of Anti static mat!!

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#23 lse123

lse123

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

IF wanted remove CPU and inserted already thermal paste and cooler with fan ... is it easy do this?

#24 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

IF wanted remove CPU and inserted already thermal paste and cooler with fan ... is it easy do this?

It is easy you need to be careful though. The paste acts as a seal. If you pull or twist the fan as you remove it you can damage the pins / connectors on the chip. You will also have to clean all thermal paste residue off both the chip and cooler base with proper cleaner and not nail varnish remover (iso propyl alcohol) as this can leave a residue. You then have to reapply fresh thermal paste before refitting the fan.

#25 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,091 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

Yup! I use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) to remove old thermal paste all the time. ;)

And nigsy is right, be careful when removing the heatsink/fan, I've never bent any pins on a processor or socket, but I HAVE yanked CPU's right out of the socket! :yikes: ***note: I learned to be more careful after that episode!

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#26 lse123

lse123

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Yup! I use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) to remove old thermal paste all the time. ;)

And nigsy is right, be careful when removing the heatsink/fan, I've never bent any pins on a processor or socket, but I HAVE yanked CPU's right out of the socket! :yikes: ***note: I learned to be more careful after that episode!

:geezer:

more careful after that episode!

WHAT EPISODE YOU MEANT????

#27 lse123

lse123

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

About Intel K processors eg 7600K... i5

installation of this is Exactly like, non-K processors? Needed anything special for K processors - or is it anything more difficult BUILDING A PC with K processor ????

Edited by lse123, 10 August 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#28 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

All processors install the same. It doesn't matter whether it's Intel; AMD or what ever.

As long as you have the correct board and socket type; you simply line the CPU as per the manufacturers instructions up and drop it in.

Watch the video Terry linked to; it's actually a pretty decent tutorial. :tup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users