• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

I ran out yesterday and bought an RCA 42 in. Plasma flat screen TV. Model # 42PA3ORQ...
Hooked up to my home built HTPC > Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 mobo, AMD FX-8350 cpu, Visiontek Radeon R9 280x and 8Gb RAM. All was fine UNTIL I tried to install the latest video drivers from AMD...now I get a message onscreen that says "unsupport". I've tried playing with the resolution, no help. Tried uninstalling the drivers in Safe Mode and reinstalling a different driver, no help, I get an Error 99 that says installation cannot continue because the driver is not digitally signed my M$...always thought if it was WHQL that it should be good...

Open to ideas and suggestions to fix this issue.

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

I guess you've tried uninstalling all the drivers, rebooting and letting MS find the best ones?

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

No. Thanks, gonna try that next... ;)
edit: problem here, I've used Revo Uninstaller to remove all AMD video drivers and here's the crux, I can only operate in Safe Mode, no Device Manager in Safe Mode and none of my other drivers show up in Revo...
Also here's a screen shot of the Error 99...

edit #2: correction, in Control Panel/System there IS a Device Manager, uninstalled a bunch of devices and drivers, rebooted; Windows started "normally" and started installing a ton of the stuff I'd uninstalled along with the Windows drivers. All went well until the required final Windows reboot, now I'm "UnSupport" again. Going to try uninstalling the vid card through device manager and reboot, see if that helps... :pullhair:

Attached Files

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#4 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

See edit #2 /\ :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#5 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Got it! Just run without drivers! :pullhair:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#6 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Should add that I can't run my F@H on it with no drivers, even though I DO get video and sound...

:pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

Thinking of changing my username to "The Hairless Kansan"... :yikes:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 28,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

The hair from your head just took up residence on your face.... work with that! :rofl3:

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2016

#8 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

The hair from your head just took up residence on your face.... work with that! :rofl3:

:IG: :IG: :IG:

Now listen young lady...! :<3:

Attached File  AMD Installing.jpg   75.4KB   0 downloads

Voila!!!!! :mrgreen: :( < didn't work...nothing is working,,,,where's the dynamite? :pullhair:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#9 oftentired

oftentired

Dave or David would be an acceptable salutation

• Advanced Member
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Are you able to rollback your system to a date prior to your FUBAR? And you didn't leave F@H running when updating the drivers did you?

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~Richard N. Patterson

#10 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

David, if I roll back then that's a date with an antiquated AMD driver that the R9 280x won't run on. F@H can't run without good AMD drivers, so to your second question, no.

I thought I'd be smart and bring up an Nvidia GTX 960 out of a rig running a GTX Titan and the 960 and try that, but when I took it out I got no display if I tried to run F@H so I stuck it back in...

I haven't given up on installing the AMD drivers for this 280x but I've tried 4 different sets of drivers, all install perfectly, but when I reboot to complete the action, I get the black screen with "UnSupport" floating from corner to corner.

:pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#11 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Well, all is well if I connect via VGA cable from PC to TV. Not high-def tho' as Tx Redneck pointed out. I've ordered a new, shorter HDMI cable and we'll see if it will work. I'm thinking I should be able to just plug in the HDMI cable, select HDMI as the input on TV and all should be good. Meanwhile, we're Folding and watching TV on the new to us 42 in. plasma... :mrgreen:

I'll find out!

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#12 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Shazbot! Noticed yesterday when installing drivers that it basically completed but gave an Error 1603...now if I want to play games (Start/Games) any game I select gives an error that says "No suitable graphics device found". Kinda wierd since I can Fold and view streaming internet...... Less hair! :pullhair:

Might add that I uninstalled all AMD drivers and reinstalled the 17.5.x version with ReLive and still the same error...

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#13 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

O.K., finally wised up and did a little research (research is good) and found an AMD Uninstall Utility and ran the bloomin' thing. Cleaned the registry of all AMD and ATI keys and rebooted. Device Manager showed a "Standard VGA device". Downloaded and ran a fresh set of 17.2.1 drivers and all is good. Games play, Folding runs as it should, life is great!

Now about my wife... :lol: (don't go there Tomk_!!)

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#14 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

cool - well done!  :tup:

I am what I am and that's all that I am ~ famous American philosopher 1929 - present

#15 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,064 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

cool - well done!  :tup:

Thanks! I was beginning to doubt myself...

For awhile it seemed I was "snakebit"...

Heatware
How To Post A Test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users