Recovered files, only to be unopenable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 edgo1758

edgo1758

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

On Thursday morning, my computer has crashed to a non-bootable state. I have made a successful reset but lost the files afterwards, on which I had to use Easeus Data Recovery Pro.

I managed to recover those files successfully, but I didn't expect that these files come as duplicates, and also, they cannot be opened. Like if they were fragmented, damaged, corrupted or what!

If anything can be done to undo the damage, it'll be fine. And afterwards I undergo a more agressive backup regime to prwvent those from happening again.

I forgot to say that my PC is a Windows 10 (Dell Inspiron 20, Model 3048)

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:56 AM

I managed to recover those files successfully, but I didn't expect that these files come as duplicates, and also, they cannot be opened. Like if they were fragmented, damaged, corrupted or what!

Not used the Easeus tool but your comment around fragmentation may be true. Remember large files may be stored across indexed blocks; loose the index and what you get back maybe partial (fragmented) or even files with duplicate names and / or different file sizes.

Sorry not much help beyond this. I guess the moral is have a good backup routine to a cloud / NAS Server.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 edgo1758

edgo1758

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

Like I said, the file names end with _001, _002, _003, etc. They even have the same file size and modification date.

Even the notepad files I opened contained nothing else than Chinese characters. And as I mentioned, every file I opened came with "File error, cannot open"

#4 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

I think you may have lost everything -  you could try running Photorec:

https://www.wondersh...NxHoaArBn8P8HAQ

But you really need to run recovery tools before you try any sort of system restore / reset.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#5 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,457 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Yoy might also check this prog out, I've had great success with it, but it ain't free. https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users