Photo

ALERT! Box pop up re: Windows 10, Windows 7 support ending....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dianamite

dianamite

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

If I leave the room and come back there could be upwards of 20 of these boxes.  I also was getting a notebook pop-up with hd - Notepad in the header.... same message:  ATTEMPTING TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. YOU CAN CONTINUE TO USE YOUR COMPUTER. WINDOWS 7 SUPPORT ENDING. 

I "think" i got rid of the notepad messaging (20+ same-o) when I did the system restore ... but the text box Alert is still persisting. Not sure if this is virus related or ??-related.  It's only been for the last couple of days and started after I did update Java.... ok.... i know!!  but I've been sick and perhaps weak headed.  Anyway. Java is Gone, so is the "hd - Notepad" pop-up and system restored.... except for this alert and I am hoping someone will have some answer on what this is.  Do I need to do the PUP thing again?  Which I had done so long ago I have almost no memory of it.  Oh, and none of these show up as an actual "file".

I have run Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes... with no success.  After shut-down/restart they are still there (well except for the notepad one now... and I"ve done so much I'm not sure exactly HOW I got rid of that one.  Unfortunately, I have an appointment to get to and will be back after a few hours....  But I truly appreciate any help that can be given. The file isn't causing any miscief and I'm not clicking the OK... just the X... so I don't think I have, or it has, caused any further miscief.  Thanks in advance :)

Edited by dianamite, 16 February 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 23,195 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

I stopped windows updates a good while back because I didn't want windows 10 forced on my small machine.

Read over the article below and see if it applies to you.

http://www.pcworld.c...-upgrading.html
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, Windows Insider MVP 2017

#3 dianamite

dianamite

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for the reply and possible answer.  I stopped update *after* trying to install Win10 on my desktop and having it go blank and unusable.  Researched on a laptop and got my computer back up and running, thank goodness - because I use it to protein fold for Standford University.  I also was able to get rid of that installer crap ... but it has been a long time.

I did try the program suggested in the article you attached, but it did not help. It was probably meant for that first-time mistake stuff.  My worry is that those pop-ups are connected to a virus or somesuch.... although nothing is detecting it.  Woke up this morning to 96 of the suckers that appeared over night :(

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 23,195 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

My worry is that those pop-ups are connected to a virus or somesuch.... although nothing is detecting it

There is always that possibility.

If you like,  start a new topic https://forums.pcpit...-been-hijacked/

here we can run and use specialized tools and scanners if the pop ups haven't stopped.

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users