• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

I know I have asked this before, but before I was looking to upgrade for free. I would really like to upgrade to W7 and I was wondering where would be the best place to get Version Home Premium? I would like to spend under $100. Also I'm thinking of backing up this Vista set of files (all) on a 4GB Flash Drive, does this sound like enough space?

#2 oftentired

oftentired

Dave or David would be an acceptable salutation

• Advanced Member
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

I know I have asked this before, but before I was looking to upgrade for free. I would really like to upgrade to W7 and I was wondering where would be the best place to get Version Home Premium? I would like to spend under $100. Also I'm thinking of backing up this Vista set of files (all) on a 4GB Flash Drive, does this sound like enough space?

It is not possible to know for sure if 4GB is enough to backup your user file data as we do not know what your data consists of.

If you have a moderate amount of pictures and no ISO files and few if none video files to backup it should be enough for the user data. It would probably be enough for a Vista OS backup on top of your user data too.

But, if you have one or more ISO files and/or video files in your data all bets are off.

Windows Vista comes with some backup capability that should be sufficient to do all the backup that you would need. You would be looking for "Backup and Restore Center". I would recommend making a complete backup before attempting an upgrade or data transfer. You can then take this backup data and restore the user files to the Win 7 OS after upgrade.

There are complete instructions for this online. Videos on Youtube and instructions in various online forums where folks have already asked this question.

Edited by oftentired, 12 February 2017 - 04:55 PM.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~Richard N. Patterson

#3 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:02 AM

Right now the desk top I am using says Vista 64 Bit OS. I just purchased this (see link below) 32 Bit Windows 7 OS, will this be okay to install into this desktop for the upgrade? Thank you!

http://www.bestbuy.c...5130368&cmp=RMX

#4 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,462 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

While it will be a newer version of Windows, it will be EOL in a few years(https://support.micr...ycle-fact-sheet), just as Vista is no longer supported. Beyond that, by going from a 64bit OS to a 32bit will require a full, clean reinstall as there's no "upgrade path" between 32 and 64bit variants.

If your hardware supports it, you're best off biting the bullet and getting Windows 10 64bit.

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#5 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

Well, I tried to install W7 with the Installation disk and it did not work. Got the following results. Tried going on-line and still nothing.

You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings. 

#6 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,103 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

Well, I tried to install W7 with the Installation disk and it did not work. Got the following results. Tried going on-line and still nothing.

You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings. 

Yeah, it won't work. If you want to put the 64 bit version on you'll have to format the drive and install a clean version of Win7 64 bit and go from there. You can go up in class but not down with an upgrade...

The thing to do is this...go to the manufacturers website of your PC and download ALL of the drivers for that PC and store them on a flash drive/thumb drive.

Here's a How To for a clean install of Win 7 > https://www.sevenfor...indows-7-a.html

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#7 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:38 AM

I was able to get W7 installed by going to Advanced and making a slight adjustment. Everything was working fine, but now I am getting this issue with Recovery Disk "D" stating that it is very low on space. I checked it out and D drive is completely filled with RED. I tried to clear a little space, but nothing seems to work. Is there a way to delete any files to add some space? I also installed Microsoft Essentials because system said we needed Virus protection. I had no problem installing it, but when I checked out the files in Recovery D Drive I noticed Windows Defender in there. I went to control panel, but did ont see Windows Defender among the list. There were only the 3 programs I added after I installed W7. Is Windows Defender automatic with W7?

Can I just remove "D" Drive Recovery completely?

Thank you!

#8 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

Did you do a clean install of Windows 7 (format and install)?

If you were somehow able to Upgrade, the Recovery Files on "D" could be backup files for your Vista O/S and are there in case you decide to roll back to Vista.

Here's something you may want to read > https://answers.micr...021566f8?auth=1

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#9 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

I followed it step by step and I thank you very much. I believe it did everything it was supposed to, but when I click on My Computer it still shows D Drive fully RED.

#10 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

If you right click "D" and select Properties how much free space is shown?

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#11 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:57 AM

I don't want to confuse matters here but I would do another install of W7.

This time in advanced delete both the c:/ and d:/ so when the install starts it will only have the one partition.

Then after install and updates are applied make a full system image and keep it somewhere safe:

http://www.toptenrev...aging-software/

There's probably some free ones out there that will offer basic backup / recovery options.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#12 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:08 AM

If you right click "D" and select Properties how much free space is shown?
It's completely full. I tried to leave an image here, but was informed that I am not able to. Sorry!

Edited by freedom01, 23 February 2017 - 01:59 AM.

#13 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,103 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

It's completely full. I tried to leave an image here, but was informed that I am not able to. Sorry!

Well, I tend to agree with nigsy, doing a clean install and in Advanced mode deleting both C & D drives which will leave you with one large empty space. Create 1 or 2 more individual partitions, format each and install Win 7.

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#14 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Trying to keep all my Posts regarding same topic together so to avoid making a mess to the Forum. Running out of time with the W7 I installed into my wife's PC. Sent the disk back to Best Buy where they gave us a refund because of the Key Product issue. The time now is limited before we have to enter an activation key. They could not supply one and the one we got from MS did not work. Tried to talk the wife into stepping up to W 0, but she will not go there right now. Best But wants $140.00 plus tax for their copy + tax. Could you please take a look at this link and tell me if it seems legit? Also, I belive they supply an Activation Key with the disk, could you tell me if you see this? Thank you!

https://www.bonanza....t-Key/332876592

#15 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

The pics have an activation key on them. Seems legit; they have good reviews. My only concern is that the disc in the pics is 32bit.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#16 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

The pics have an activation key on them. Seems legit; they have good reviews. My only concern is that the disc in the pics is 32bit.

Wow! I thought it read 64 Bit.

#17 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,103 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

The fact that it says this >

Microsoft Window 7 Home Premium 64 bits OEM DVD with COA PRODUCT Key

would lead me to believe that it's what you want. On the other hand the pictures DO make it baffling because it's of a 32  bit disc...

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#18 freedom01

freedom01

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Any suggestions on where I can get what I need for under $100?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users