PC Matic and Malwarebytes - Pup flags

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lopies

lopies

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

I just ran a new scan with each program and they are both coming up as PUP flies with each program? Not sure if there is a some sort of competitiveness going on here or what. Anyone know how to tell both programs to stop flagging each other as PUPS?

#2 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

The folks at Malwarebytes decided to flag our products as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and their scans are removing our products.

After reaching out to them, they made it clear that they are not interested in altering their database, so we have no choice but to remove them from any of our systems that are running both programs.

Malwarebytes has decided that they do not wish to work as a compatible application with our programs, so we are stopping them from removing our programs.

We will continue to speak with them, but will not allow them to remove our programs in the meantime.

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#3 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,399 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

So yall are removing their products in turn?

Attached Files

• Attached File  mbam.png   54.12KB   1 downloads

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#4 dklauer

dklauer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

Malwarebytes can be instructed to IGNORE ALWAYS Pups that it detects. This is what I had to do to get Malwarebytes to not flag PCMATIC. Now PCMATIC is removing MALWAREBYTES completely. Can't you guys get together and work this out. Otherwise one of you is going to lose.

#5 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,847 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

Malwarebytes has decided that they do not wish to work as a compatible application with our programs, so we are stopping them from removing our programs.

We will continue to speak with them, but will not allow them to remove our programs in the meantime.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#6 SteveBJax

SteveBJax

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Had the same problem after getting Rob's email today.

In MBAM I put the Pitstop folder into Malware Exclusions under Settings. In PC Matic I white-listed all the MBAM files that showed as Viruses during the scan. May not be pretty, but each work OK for now. 

#7 Norm1116

Norm1116

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

This happened to me also.  I put in a ticket with PCPitstop.  Heard nothing back.  100's of dollars in my 10 seat evergreen license, and no response (NOTE:  PCMatic support did respond to me.  Somewhere between them clicking send and Comcast, I just did not get the email.  It looks like I had my spam settings wrong.  Sorry support!)  Malwarebytes has a problem with PCMatic.  PCMatic should have posted a solution to stop MB from removing the software.  Instead, they retaliated resulting in the users being collateral damage.

I emailed Malwarebytes.  I have 3 paid licenses for personal use and a 60 seat enterprise setup.  Here's their response:

Thank you for inquiring about our PUP detection. We have flagged PC Matic because they meet the standards set on www.malwarebytes.com/pup.  While we believe the detection is accurate. We understand that you may want to use the detected program.  If you intentionally installed PC Matic and wish to keep it, please do the following:

1. Launch Malwarebytes and click the Settings tab

Click the Protection tab (or Settings → Detection and Protection)
Look for the ‘Potential Threat Protection’ portion and change the PUP and PUM settings to ‘Warn user’

2. Reinstall PC Matic if needed, then run a Scan. When the scan completes, uncheck the boxes next to all the detections. To uncheck all of them at once, click the uppermost box next to the column title of ‘Threats’

You will now see a Next button – click the Next button.

3. In the Next pane, select ‘Ignore always’. After this, Malwarebytes will no longer detect that program.

For PC Matic detecting Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, we would highly recommend contacting PC Matic.

END OF MALWAREBYTES RESPONSE

I really like both of these products, but the decisions on the part of these two companies has created a minor nightmare for me.  Not appreciated.  BTW, yes, I know how to whitelist Malwarebytes within PCMatic.

The Malwarebytes PUP list says:

Here are some of the criteria we use:

• obtrusive, misleading, or deceptive advertising, branding, or search practices
  • excessive or deceptive distribution, affiliate or opt-out bundling practices
  • aggressive or deceptive behavior especially surrounding purchasing or licensing
  • unwarranted, unnecessary, excessive, illegitimate, or deceptive modifications of system settings or configuration (including browser settings and toolbars)
  • difficulty uninstalling or removing the software
  • predominantly negative feedback or ratings from the user community
  • diminishes user experience
  • other practices generally accepted as riskware, scareware, adware, greyware, or otherwise commonly unwanted software by the user community

END OF MBAM LIST

I've seen a couple of these at the third party sites, but not at PCPitstop.  I've seen horrible PCMatic reviews that just can't be true, or are written by users who really need assistance, or by competitors.  I personally really like PCMatic.  I also like Malwarebytes.

This is kind of sad.

Edited by Norm1116, 03 January 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#8 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

Please check your junk mail folders both locally and online as I just checked in the help desk and they are current.  I cannot locate your ticket using your forum email address, but there is no ticket in the help desk over 20 minutes old, so it was answered, probably within an hour or so.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#9 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

The Reason For The Season

• Moderators
  • 23,663 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

Question here IG, I run both Malwarebytes FREE (as a standalone) and PC Matic. Why can't I whitelist the Malwarebytes "threats" that PC Matic finds so that it won't wipe them out and unless I'm wrong we're given the choice in Malwarebytes to delete the "PUP" programs or not. Why can't I choose not to delete the PC Matic that Malwarebytes finds?

Just sounds to me like a lot of grief and worry over much ado... Granted, we don't want them flagging our products but I don't see that flagging theirs is helping "Joe Public"... :shrug:

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

#10 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,847 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Good question caintry_boy, and yes, our more computer literate users are doing exactly that, forcing the two products to work together.

The main reason we allowed PC Matic to shut down malwarebytes is because malwarebytes was removing not only PC Matic but also Super Shield from over 50,000 of our users' computers, leaving them with no real time antivirus protection at all.  And given our demographic, many of our users are not aware that this has happened.  Malwarebytes has opened them up to any kind of infection and they still think they are being protected by Super Shield.

There is more information about why we made that decision here:

http://techtalk.pcpi...arebytes-alert/

From the article:  " Malwarebytes has broken a rule of security. Never remove an AV product without replacing it with another.  Both Malwarebytes and PC Pitstop are Microsoft certified security partners. Up to now, a Microsoft security partner has never attacked the customers of another."

#11 Tomk_

Tomk_

WTT Teacher

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

I believe you are wrong IG, and PCMatic is wrong in their retaliation.  Malwarebytes doesn't just unilaterally remove PCMatic.  It simply flags it as a potentially unwanted program.  It will only remove it if the user tells it to,  Granted, many users may delete everything by default, but by definition malware is any program that makes changes to your system without your approval.  That's why a choice is given.  PCMatic is calling Malwarebytes a virus and removing it without the consent of the user.  That's bad JuJu.  These schoolyard tactics are not very professional.

I'm disappointed in everybody.

#12 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 23,663 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

Just ran a Malwarebytes scan on my main rig and it detected 500+ PUP's all PC Matic, I started unchecking the little boxes and then realized hojw many there were, I think total was actually 648. :yikes: I cancelled the scan and went on with my business, but there is no way anymore to "deselect" the PUP's and I'm not going to spend time unchecking 648 little boxes, it'd take me all day!

Sure wish they'd just change their definitions to exclude PC Matic. ;)

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

#13 Tomk_

Tomk_

WTT Teacher

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Are all of the PCMatic files in a single folder?

#14 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 23,663 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Are all of the PCMatic files in a single folder?

No. They are in individual folders i.e., SuperShield, PC Matic, Infocenter, etc. within the program filesx86 PCPitstop folder.

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#15 Tomk_

Tomk_

WTT Teacher

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

OK... if all of the folders you've listed are in the program files (x86)/PCPitstop folder, then you can put that folder in the exclusions list and it shouldn't try to remove them anymore.

https://www.malwareb...Exclusions.html

#16 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

If you decide to keep malwarebytes running, then be sure to add the following exceptions to their Web Blocking utility, since they are also blocking anyone from accessing anything on the pcmatic.com domain, including anyone that wishes to request support from https://pcmatic.com/support

pcmatic.com

www.pcmatic.com

https://pcmatic.com

http://pcmatic.com

#17 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,847 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Tomk_, on 19 Dec 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:Tomk_, on 19 Dec 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:Tomk_, on 19 Dec 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:Tomk_, on 19 Dec 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

PC Matic doesn't just unilaterally remove Malwarebytes.  It simply flags it as a threat.  It will only remove it if the user tells it to,  Granted, many users may delete everything by default, but by definition malware is any program that makes changes to your system without your approval.  That's why a choice is given. 

I fixed your post for you. 

OK... if all of the folders you've listed are in the program files (x86)/PCPitstop folder, then you can put that folder in the exclusions list and it shouldn't try to remove them anymore.

https://www.malwareb...Exclusions.html

There are also files in the hidden Program Data folder.  So now our users have to know to unhide the folder and add that one to the exclusions.  That is not our demographic.

And as to using the word retaliation, we spent a week going through channels with Malwarebytes and they made it very clear that they were not interested in working with us.  So if preventing Malwarebytes from removing our paid customers' real time antivirus protection by default and leaving them exposed to all manner of infections is retaliation, so be it.  I prefer to think of it as protecting our customers from having a program make changes to their computer without their explicit approval.

#18 Tomk_

Tomk_

WTT Teacher

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

Agreed.  I'm not your demographic either so I'll stay out of things that don't concern me.

#19 lopies

lopies

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

I just received this update. More details on why they flagged PC Matic.

https://blog.malware...ially-unwanted/

#20 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

I just received this update. More details on why they flagged PC Matic.

https://blog.malware...ially-unwanted/

Thanks

We replied hours ago, but as of yet, they have not "approved" the post to be visible on that link.

So we posted it on our own.

http://techtalk.pcpi...rebytes-claims/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users