upgrading dell dimension e310 deskstop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 me82

me82

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

I going to use the case and take out motherboard and try out 2 motherboards they are amd 8 and another amd processor .  will i need to take out the power supply in the case and put in another to hold amd processors.      It originally has a pentium 4 processor, but it is too slow for me when on internet, with windows 7

#2 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

to be honest if your putting in a new motherboard and cpu then i'd seriously consider putting in a new psu too.

psu's like anything degrade over time and can cause serious damage to other hardware in there like the motherboard when they fail.

another thing to consider when installing new parts in a pc is if the psu already in there is powerful enough to power everything, for example it might only be a 300watts total power psu but the new parts (especially graphics cards.) may require the pc to have a psu that supplies 500watts.

:b33r:

#3 oftentired

oftentired

Dave or David would be an acceptable salutation

• Advanced Member
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

I don't think it is the CPU slowing this critter down  :)

I do think your on the right track replacing the MOBO, I can't find specs on the PSU to see what it is that you have, but

you cannot go wrong replacing the older PSU, That make/model came out in 2006, odds are getting high that it will go out soon anyway.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~Richard N. Patterson

#4 me82

me82

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm going to try and use some parts from computer store that they are not using instead of buying parts.  I just want a motherboard with a faster processor than whats in it now. the two i seen was amd. ( i forgot the specs. of the boards)  

the pc  was upgraded from windows xp 

Now it has windows 7  

2gb of ram 

80gb harddrives(2)

I want to upgrade this with another motherboard , power supply, more ram and possibly bigger harddrive, and keep windows 7  it has 2 dvd drives but they are ide, probably can't use them, because most boards are sata with just one ide port.

Am I on the right track?

#5 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:49 PM

you can chain the 2 dvd drives on a single ide cable/port so can still use those, i doubt you'll be able to simple connect the win 7 drive to the new parts and have it boot into windows, so will probably have to clean install the os, so make sure you have the means to do that as well as make a note of the win 7 os key before upgrading the parts.

i'd also think you may have to use different ram than what's in the current motherboard, without actually looking anything up it may use ddr and the newer boards may use ddr2 or even ddr3 type ram so that's something else you'll need to check.

have fun doing the upgrades. :tup:

#6 me82

me82

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

ok, there is a bigger harddrive that is 160 gb that already has win 7 on it so i should not have install it.  I can just use 1 dvd drive to plug in ide slot, and everthing else on board is sata, will  it work fine with ide and sata connections

#7 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:33 AM

it's not a question of the size of the hard drive, it's a question of the drivers that got installed in win7 so it worked with the hardware on the motherboard it was originally installed on and why when you change a motherboard and cpu the pc will no longer boot into the os because it usually now needs different hardware drivers compatible with the new motherboard but will still be installing and trying to use the drivers compatible with the old motherboard and not the new one.

so that's why you will need to reinstall the os.

should add the above is not 100% correct because there is a way to clear all installed drivers in the os before shutting it down for the last time and then changing the motherboard so when it next boots up for the first time with the new motherboard the os will see it doesn't have any hardware drivers installed and will find and install the correct need drivers to work and boot into the os but i can't remember the process and don't remember ever doing it that way myself plus you will usually still have to find and install some drivers yourself anyway like chipset drivers.

i've always just done a clean install of the os so i have a nice new motherboard with a nice clean os with no junk left over from the old setup..

yes you can use both ide and sata connections and things will work just fine.

if you decide you want to use both dvd drives then this is the type of ide cable you'd need to use both dvd's,

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000511TN

one end connects to the motherboard, the middle connects to the slave drive and the other end connects to the master drive.

you may also need to change a jumper on the drives and set one as master and one as slave or cable select.

fuller explanation on how ide works :- http://computer.hows...ks.com/ide4.htm

#8 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,931 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Another issue to take into consideration, since you are using a proprietary "Dell" case is to inspect the connectors from the front of the case to the motherboard (power button, reset, etc.)

These are often strung together in an individual connector instead of as individual lines on a normal case.

If the connectors are like the ones pictured below, then you'll be fine.

Attached File  connectors.PNG   455.12KB   0 downloads

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#9 me82

me82

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:11 PM

The connectors are not like those

#10 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

The connectors are not like those

Then you may not be able to use that case with a "non-Dell" motherboard, unless you want to cut, sort and recrimp the wires onto suitable connectors.

I've always just gotten a new case, rather than hassle with the proprietary connectors.

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users