so is preferred for cross-OS running/using VMs stored in ext exFAT SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lse123

lse123

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

exFAT is the best File System that supported/works by both MacOS, Windows PCs, Linux so is preferred for cross-OS running/using VMs stored in ext exFAT SSD disk...?

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:31 AM

As long as you don't use NTFS (Due to 4gb file size limit) you should be fine. I really don't think using any file system is an issue as the host machine will read it as a virtual disk anyway (from my understanding). You'll only notice a difference if you are running benchmark tests. So ExtFAT, EXT3 should all be fine.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

think you'll find it was fat32 that has a 4GB file size limit not ntfs, the reason i think (don't know because i've never stored my vm's on an external drive to use across multiple os.) why the file system may matter on the external ssd that contains the vm's is because the host os must be able to read and write to the drive.

so it would be no use using ext4 on the drive for example because when it was connected to a windows pc then windows would not be able to see and read the data because windows doesn't work with linux file systems.

personally the main reason i see to use exfat and not ntfs is because all os can read and write to that file system without any problems i believe where as both linux and mac can only read ntfs by default as far as i'm aware (linux can be made to write to ntfs) and of course the windows os doesn't work with any linux file system not sure if it works or not with apples file systems.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966, 05 December 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#4 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:06 AM

:tup:

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users