• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Complains out MS for being anti-competitive!

Billionaire Russian anti-virus developer Eugene Kaspersky has penned an angry blog post titled "That's It. I've Had Enough!" to complain about Microsoft and Windows 10. Specifically, Kaspersky argues that the way Microsoft bundled Defender with Windows 10 is anti-competitive: he says that Microsoft has created obstacles to third-party products and is acting against the interests of the developers of third-party security software.

http://arstechnica.c...virus-software/

How much more money do they want from Americans

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:36 AM

I think you'll find this is more aimed at the European and Russian market so your $$ will be ok. He's banking on the same ruling being applied to AV software that the European courts applied to Browser choice.

A browser choice site was activated on first login which made you aware of other alternatives. I think this stopped being enforced when Windows 10 surfaced. This all goes back to when MS had to stop bundling WMP after another EU ruling back in the early 2000's.

I think he wants a similar deal for AV software.

https://en.wikipedia...rowserChoice.eu

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,929 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

One of the big issues is that although Defender will drop to a low priority when a 3rd party AV is detected, however, when M$ runs their updates and adds definitions to Defender, the OS sends Defender to High Priority and disables or cripples the 3rd party application.

Once the update completes, the priorities do not return automatically.  A reboot is often required and depending on how the swap in priorities went and whether further installation is required in the Windows Defender engine upon reboot is needed, the return to previous priorities can be delayed until yet another reboot.

In Windows 7, Defender could be turned off through services.msc, M$ has removed this capability in 10.

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#4 Tomk_

Tomk_

WTT Teacher

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

You can't blame the guy.  Why pay for his AV when you get a free one already onboard?

As a consumer, I'd like to keep getting the free one.

#5 tntroy61

tntroy61

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

The question then becomes, is Defender any good vs Kasperskys? My personal usage of Kasperskys... says NO! I'd rather pay for Kasperskys.

#6 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,462 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:43 AM

I wonder if renaming the extension for defender will disable it.

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users