Anti-spyware/malware help links on this site - So disappointed about t

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Psychotron

Psychotron

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

I just noticed this feedback topic and I want to add that, as a relative novice, I decided follow the advice on the forum sticky notes to clean up my computer before I bought a new one. I'm very disappointed about how I was absolutely tricked into downloading PC Matic and running a scan that was supposed to be free. I feel taken advantage of. It is on the PCPitstop sticky note and other places that the links it gives out are for help on cleaning the computer are to free sites. After all the time it took to scan, when it showed how bad my computer is, and I click to fix it, I'm brought to a screen where I'm required to buy PC Matic before it will fix it.

I've been going here as my primary source for computer advice, and have always preferred this site out of the other computer tech forums. But now I wonder, do some moderators here have an agenda? Could they be guiding me toward suggesting I buy or something that isn't necessarily the best, but would somehow benefit PCPitstop. I've always thought highly of this site, but am now left with a bad taste in my mouth. How do I know who's telling the truth when a moderator gives me a suggestion now when I wasn't told the truth about the anti-malware sites? It makes me feel bad about this site to think that I would ask for help, not knowing anything, and a moderator told me that I have to download PC Matic, free, then scan. Then not be told I would have to buy.

The sticky notes here on PCPitstop said the multiple links they give out are to different free anti-virus, anti-malware, etc services to clean my computer, but all the links actually converted, and led, to the PCMatic site that finally gave me results showing how badly I need it to clean my computer, but would only do it if I bought the service.

Edit: This is the sticky post I'm referring to: https://forums.pcpit...nup-prevention/

Edited by Psychotron, 03 November 2016 - 04:06 PM.

HP Pavilion p6680t series: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i5-650 dual-core processor [3.2Ghz, 512KB, L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache, DMI 2.5GT/s, 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs], 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive, Intel HD Graphics [VGA], 16x max DVD/RW SuperMulti drive, TV tuner ATSC-NTSC with PVR.

#2 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

I'm not a PCMatic user myself but I know that several members are and think highly of it.

I don't see how you can seem so critical and go so far as suggesting that moderators have an evil intent or a hidden agenda. The sticky notes you refer to were posted in 2004 (12 years and 4 operating systems ago) and you felt they should be taken as gospel? Some of the links are no longer valid or they are no longer free. It's quite easy to see this. I didn't click on all of them but I think that the ones that may have led you to PCMatic were no longer in existence. 

As far as being led to believe that PCMatic was free I don't see how you could have assumed that. It offers a free scan and then, based on the results, an opportunity to purchase if you feel it necessary

perhaps you should be more attentive when you click on links and start downloading. Perhaps also this inattentiveness is what has caused the problems you are trying to resolve. Just saying...

I am what I am and that's all that I am ~ famous American philosopher 1929 - present

#3 Psychotron

Psychotron

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

First, drop the sarcasm and condescension. You're a moderator. You should be held to a higher standard, and you should act professionally. It reflects poorly on your reputation, as well as on PCPitstop itself, to reply to a post this way just because something critical was written in the "feedback" section. Whether it made you mad or not. I didn't ask for a reply, I was simply giving my honest feedback.

You are very smart. And an expert on computers and this site. You can call me and everyone else, who feels the same way as me, stupid, dumb, whatever you want. The point is,  I DIDN'T know what I was doing, and neither do a lot of other people like me, who are really in need of computer help. It's hard to find a reputable place these days. Make fun of me if you want, but I believed what this site said. And you know that's how you draw them in, and it's why that post is still OUTRIGHT DIRECTING YOU TO THOSE FAKE LINKS. You simply count on people to be stupid, like all other scams. A lot of us aren't, but a lot of us are. Maybe I'm one of those (many) people who have "below average intelligence".

On the page I refer to, for each link (well, not all, but to all the links that "sound good"), the linked text says it will go somewhere specific (all different to places, eg antivirus, spycheck, freescan, etc), hover over the link, and says it will go somewhere specific, but they ALL take you to PC-Matic once you click on them. They're disguised links. They change. They trick you into going to the PC-Matic page --you can't seriously tell me it's NOT deceptive--

The sticky notes you refer to were posted in 2004 (12 years and 4 operating systems ago) and you felt they should be taken as gospel? Some of the links are no longer valid or they are no longer free. It's quite easy to see this.

Here's exactly what me, and others like me, do when they're in a computer "cleaning" crisis:

1. Go pcpitstop.com (A site you thought had integrity)

2. Click Forums > Viruses & Spyware

Page loads.... What's that 'PINNED' POST RIGHT UP THERE IN THE EXACT MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN?? "Virus / Spyware Cleanup & Prevention." The one that you repudiate.

The sticky notes you refer to were posted in 2004 (12 years and 4 operating systems ago) and you felt they should be taken as gospel?

3. Click, on that very first post: Where to find the tools you need. (tempting isn't it, the tools I need)

The sticky notes you refer to were posted in 2004 (12 years and 4 operating systems ago)

Um. What's the purpose of a "PINNED" (sticky) note? (It's so everyone will SEE IT FIRST).

The link is here: https://forums.pcpit...nup-prevention/

As far as being led to believe that PCMatic was free I don't see how you could have assumed that.

It says ON THAT POST above the links: "the tools below are FREE or available as trial/shareware versions." 

--When it says, "FREE", that makes people think it's FREE--

If you don't want to investigate (like you so far haven't) do a search on the page for these words: "the tools below are FREE or available as trial/shareware versions." Then click on the links below it, and see where it leads you.

Some of the links are no longer valid or they are no longer free. It's quite easy to see this.

Please, just reply and say this again. I have to laugh at this because you're DEPENDING on people to NOT see it.

Or you could just apologize for tricking me and regular people like me. Thank goodness I had enough sense not to buy PCMatic because it's very tempting when PCMatic says it found ALL those problems that can be fixed with a click. It really makes you want to fix them.

I hope you're just late in the Game "geeWhiz" if you really back up all you said. If you really want to respond, I hope it's to make fun of any mistakes in my spelling or grammar or some other distraction, because you're not gonna beat me on this one in substance. Look over what I said in my first post and actually read it like you should this one. If you're angry and somehow have trouble replying constructively, despite being a moderator, get up and take a walk first. I think an apology would be in order though. After all, you're a "moderator" who has really reminded me how stupid I must be in life (especially with your site).

So, to sign off... Just sayin'.

P.S. PCPitstop also sells PC-Matic, and only PC-Matic (no other antivirus), directly. So there's that...

P.S.S. To someone actually in charge. To the point of my honest feedback, I'm politely requesting that that pinned post be removed since it's "from 2004" and "many operating systems ago" (not my words, from someone who is "smart" and actually knows).

This thread has the information you need to fix and prevent problems with spyware and viruses. If you're new to the forums, please read through it before asking questions or (especially) posting HijackThis logs.

I'm not a PCMatic user myself but I know that several members are and think highly of it.

I don't see how you can seem so critical and go so far as suggesting that moderators have an evil intent or a hidden agenda. The sticky notes you refer to were posted in 2004 (12 years and 4 operating systems ago) and you felt they should be taken as gospel? Some of the links are no longer valid or they are no longer free. It's quite easy to see this. I didn't click on all of them but I think that the ones that may have led you to PCMatic were no longer in existence. 

As far as being led to believe that PCMatic was free I don't see how you could have assumed that. It offers a free scan and then, based on the results, an opportunity to purchase if you feel it necessary

perhaps you should be more attentive when you click on links and start downloading. Perhaps also this inattentiveness is what has caused the problems you are trying to resolve. Just saying...

HP Pavilion p6680t series: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i5-650 dual-core processor [3.2Ghz, 512KB, L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache, DMI 2.5GT/s, 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs], 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive, Intel HD Graphics [VGA], 16x max DVD/RW SuperMulti drive, TV tuner ATSC-NTSC with PVR.

#4 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

Psychotron, on 03 Nov 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

First, drop the sarcasm and condescension. You're a moderator. You should be held to a higher standard, and you should act professionally. It reflects poorly on your reputation, as well as on PCPitstop itself, to reply to a post this way just because something critical was written in the "feedback" section. Whether it made you mad or not. I didn't ask for a reply, I was simply giving my honest feedback.

No. I'm not a moderator. Never said I was.

I am what I am and that's all that I am ~ famous American philosopher 1929 - present

#5 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,878 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:16 AM

Psychotron, on 03 Nov 2016 - 1:51 PM, said:Psychotron, on 03 Nov 2016 - 1:51 PM, said:Psychotron, on 03 Nov 2016 - 1:51 PM, said:

The sticky notes here on PCPitstop said the multiple links they give out are to different free anti-virus, anti-malware, etc services to clean my computer, but all the links actually converted, and led, to the PCMatic site that finally gave me results showing how badly I need it to clean my computer, but would only do it if I bought the service.

Edit: This is the sticky post I'm referring to: https://forums.pcpit...nup-prevention/

Frankly, I think that your browser is jacked up and the links are being redirected somehow.  I clicked every link on that page twice using two different browsers and the only links that go to PC Matic are the first two, that are labeled as PC Pitstop Antivirus and PC Matic free scan. Every other link either went to where it is supposed to go or is dead and goes nowhere.  I  will clean up the dead links when I get the time, but I am unable to reproduce the problem you are reporting with every link redirecting to PC Matic. 

I would like to request that any other readers that can take the time please click through the links on this page and let us know if they are going to where they say they do:

https://forums.pcpit...nup-prevention/

Thank you for your assistance.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#6 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:17 AM

I'm a 'Moderator'.

I do it voluntarily - I'm not on Pit stops payroll and wouldn't let their software near my PC (If I ran windows which I don't)!

Now before this escalates any further I'm going to get the site admins to have a look at the stickies and , if necessary , get them removed or updated.

I will say this Phsycotron; put this down to a learning experience, nearly all commercial software of the type PCMatic sells hooks you in with Free scans and free results but then charges for the fix. I've not clicked the links, but if the wording is 'Free scan for registry errors' or 'Free malware scan', then that is exactly what you got, a free scan. It's up to you what you do with the result. Either pay for the fix or post the problem in one of our forums and some of the Pitstop members will happily help you fix it for free.

I would like to request that any other readers that can take the time please click through the links on this page and let us know if they are going to where they say they do:

https://forums.pcpit...nup-prevention/

Thank you for your assistance.

Ok; I've click through.....

First up:

Unless otherwise indicated, the tools below are FREE

I can see how this could be misread - but when you click to the PCmatic software it has 2 buttons 'Free Download' or 'Buy'; so as with the majority of this kind of software you get a free download, nothing more.

The PCmatic software has changed over the years to a comprehensive suite of tools, the forum links just redirect to the most current versions.

All the other links go to the relevant software posted; some of those are completely free, some not.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#7 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 24,001 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'm a 'Moderator'.

I do it voluntarily - I'm not on Pit stops payroll and wouldn't let their software near my PC (If I ran windows which I don't)!

Now before this escalates any further I'm going to get the site admins to have a look at the stickies and , if necessary , get them removed or updated.

I will say this Phsycotron; put this down to a learning experience, nearly all commercial software of the type PCMatic sells hooks you in with Free scans and free results but then charges for the fix. I've not clicked the links, but if the wording is 'Free scan for registry errors' or 'Free malware scan', then that is exactly what you got, a free scan. It's up to you what you do with the result. Either pay for the fix or post the problem in one of our forums and some of the Pitstop members will happily help you fix it for free.

Ok; I've click through.....

First up:

I can see how this could be misread - but when you click to the PCmatic software it has 2 buttons 'Free Download' or 'Buy'; so as with the majority of this kind of software you get a free download, nothing more.

The PCmatic software has changed over the years to a comprehensive suite of tools, the forum links just redirect to the most current versions.

All the other links go to the relevant software posted; some of those are completely free, some not.

+1

I'm a Moderator also and agree with nigsy and IntelGuy. It sounds to me like you're being redirected by Malware BTW, I've used PCMatic for years now and it's great! You DO get a FREE Download and Scan but that's all. I started paying the price to have it on 5 PC's and now I have the Evergreen lifetime version and love it. I run the Supershield malware protection that comes with PCMatic and it keeps my PC's totally clean, it let's no malware execute (open) on the PC. ;)

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#8 bonzai

bonzai

?!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

+1

I'm a Moderator also and agree with nigsy and IntelGuy. It sounds to me like you're being redirected by Malware BTW, I've used PCMatic for years now and it's great! You DO get a FREE Download and Scan but that's all. I started paying the price to have it on 5 PC's and now I have the Evergreen lifetime version and love it. I run the Supershield malware protection that comes with PCMatic and it keeps my PC's totally clean, it let's no malware execute (open) on the PC. ;)

+2

I'm just a member as you are and thought I would add to this. I also have had it on 5 PC's for several years, not that I can't do most of what it does myself, but more out of convenience due to the time it saves me with that many devices. 

I have recently added more PC's to what I had, and with that I have opted to increase my license to cover up to 10 PC's. I've been more than happy with the results for not only what it does, but also the time it saves me.

:b33rmug:

Edited by bonzai, 05 November 2016 - 08:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users