Phone malware but AV doesn't detect?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SoulFly

SoulFly

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  I tried the backup and reset thing but didn't work. Basically the second I turn on my Wifi, 7 web pages try to load and several apps are automtically and quickly downloaded. Woot, Alarm Clock, SlideMe...couple others I think. *edit: It's not slideme, but kind of similar name like Sideload I think.

Now the apps are legit I believe but something is causing them to download and install. Then those apps will just pop up automatically. They bog my phone down. I cannot do anything to stop them. I shut down every android service that would let me disable and those apps, I remove the apps and the cycle starts all over again.

I tried 2 different Anti virus, Norton and Kaperskey and they found nothing wrong. I did the backup reset...happens all over again.

So I tried some trick my wife mentioned. I hold volume up, home key and power button at the same time. I boot to this screen upside down that says"Select boot mode: Recovery, Fast, Normal. Volume up to select, volume down to ok.....Well it's bricked. If I hit home key, I can select which option but nothing else works. The screen is stuck on, I cannot power it down...it's like it's bricked. I can move the arrow but that's it.

It's an unlocked phone, warranty expired of course so basically I have this paper weight. I'm currently waiting for battery to drain and will try to boot it up again.

I Ordered this phone from China, I think the Chinese did something to the Android OS to cause this. I say that because while it says Android 6.0, it's obviously Android 3 or 4.

Edited by SoulFly, 18 August 2016 - 07:38 PM.

Disclaimer:
By reading the above post you adhere and agree to all that is written. You may not opinion-ate, comment nor question. Response is a direct violation of this agreement

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 23,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

I know absolutely nothing about mobile phone/Iphones or Adroids but

MalwareBytes has an app for mobile phones, also listed at Google play.
Now how good it is?, got me I have no idea.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mobile/
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, Windows Insider MVP 2017

#3 SoulFly

SoulFly

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Not good enough to stop the problem apparently.  Once the battery died, I was able to boot back to android as normal. One curious note when I tried to uninstall any of those apps, I get a message that says I must keep 1 very good app to have full function. Odd, so I removed them all and of course it forces their install again.

If I leave the apps, they just run themselves all the time, nothing worse than trying to do one thing and Woot pops up as if I launched it myself. This phone is impossible.

I read you can download Android images and put them on rooted phones ...is that something that's hard to do?

Disclaimer:
By reading the above post you adhere and agree to all that is written. You may not opinion-ate, comment nor question. Response is a direct violation of this agreement

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 23,186 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

my heavens, removing junk from a phone....never thought there would be such a thing.

read over a couple links that might have good suggestions

https://malwaretips....-android-virus/

http://forums.androi...ing-up-ads.html
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:51 AM

Have you tried booting the phone in safemode and then running a scan with lookout or avast mobile security?

If you're phone is rooted you can easily install a new ROM (if one available) or just do a clean install of the original. XDA developers would be a good place to start.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users