• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gibs son

gibs son

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Long post

XP, SP3, all systems working fine in the AM (not connected to internet) and return in evening and every time try and launch a program or open a file get windows error that the path cant be found or do not have permission.

Havent tried to get on internet, I guess I should.  But, no programs will run.  Reboot, blah blah.  Start in Safe mode and all programs, the ones I checked started up and the files will open.  Tried running new version of Combofix but keep getting message it is out of date.  Not sure why when I just downloaded and the splash screen showing current date is correct.  Ok, so it wants to run in reduced mode…fine…just run.  Splash screen says PC super shield and antivirus are still running.  Hmmm, Taskmanger says they are not running.  Click ok to continue scan anyway and program drops out and icon dissapers, like it just uninstalled itself.  Ran FRST, but cant find log file on safe mode desktop.  Ran RKILL, some message about pointers but don’t understand it.  It was looking for pointers but the dates referened back to 2008 and earlier.  Interesting, I created a new user account and that user was able to open any file and program while NOT in safe mode.  Shut computer off last night, now that account is doing the same thing the next morning.  Deleted that account and set up another one, but that one wont open programs or files.  Computer uses Comodo firewall, PC Matic with Super Sheild, Malewarebytes Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

Not sure if this is virus or just windows has become corrupt.  The drive is only about 4 months old, not that it would eliminate all possibilities of a hard drive issue but since Combofix wont run, I suspect not.  Combofix not running seems odd, to me.   Anyway, looking for advice so I don’t have to run Ghost and restore my drive.

Edited by gibs son, 30 June 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#2 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,800 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

You never said, but I'd imagine that you did try System Restore somewhere along the way.  Yes?

SFC /scannow?

Another to try is the Windows Repair All in One tool:

http://www.tweaking....all_in_one.html

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#3 gibs son

gibs son

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Y.

System Restore?  Nah.  Don't trust it.  I do, however, trust Norton Ghost and have for years.

I have no answer other than I must reside in bizzaro world because for some reason when I got home last night the new user I set up was working, allowing access to files and the internet.  I quickly launched PC Matic.  It didn't find anything.  I the ran a few other tools including Combofix which for some reason would run all the sudden.  Keeping my fingers crossed as all is working and was when I left for work this morning.  BUT....I still would like know how to why Combofix  is saying Supersheild and PC Matic anti virus were still running when I shut them down and verified in Taskmanger.  In Taskmanager I did not see any running applications with PCmatic____in the name.   It's not running as a SVhost or something is it?  As you know, it can cause some issues if both are running at the same time and limits the "fixes" it will do.

#4 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,800 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

Super Shield uses processhooking dll files that will still be active in the last files that they "hooked" to check.

Stopping and then changing the pcpitstop realtime service to manual, will allow you to reboot the computer without it kicking back on again.

At this point, all of it's processes will be silenced until you restart the service.

Side note on combofix............ that utility hasn't been updated in a long long time and really isn't recommended for maintenance use.

This is, at least my understanding from several of our Trusted Malware Techs here at the Pit.

It's been so long that I can't even remember some of the specific issues that the tool used to remedy.

Anyway, just wanted to share with you what I've been told.

Glad that things are working though!  Bizzaro world does exist!!  :ukliam2:

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#5 gibs son

gibs son

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

Ok, got it on the Auto to Manual.

Interesting about Combofix.  This is the third time I have used it and I realize it should not be used as maintenance.  First time was about 7 years ago when I picked up a hijack virus while on a wireless at a hotel.  Next time was only a month or so ago when MBytes tech support had me download and run it FIRST in an attempt to get their real time monitor to run on a computer of mine that had not been on the internet for 10 years. 

My, time flies, but that XP machine still runs great for what I use it for....NOT internet surfing or games.

Thanks for the replies.

#6 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hi. :)

No harm trying the below...

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):
  • Please download TFC to your desktop,
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.
  • Click the Start button in the bottom left of TFC
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It should not take longer than a couple of minutes , and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

I advise you keep TFC on your desktop aand run it say at least once per week as it is a very effective piece of software for cleaning out temp' files etc with XP etc.

Hard-Drive Maintenance/Repair:

Note: for the CHKDSK portion you may refer to this tutorial of mine here and follow the instructions for Graphical Mode if you so wish.
  • Click Start >> Run... then type in CMD and click on OK.
  • At the Command Prompt C:\ > type the following:
  • CD C:\ and hit the Enter/Return key.
  • Now type in DEFRAG C: -F
  • A Analysis report will be displayed and then Windows will start the Defragmentation run automatically.
  • This may take some time, when completed the Command Prompt C:\ > will appear.
  • Now type in CHKDSK C: /R and hit the Enter/Return key.
  • When prompted with:

CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process
Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system
restarts (Y/N)

• Hit the Y key then at the Command Prompt C:\ >
  • Type in EXIT and and hit the Enter/Return key.
  • Now Reboot(Restart) your computer.
Note: Upon Reboot(Restart) the CHKDSK(check-disk) will start and carry out the repairs required.

You should see a screen like this just after the Post(power on self test) screen:

ChkDsk01.png

Note: Do not touch either the keyboard or Mouse, otherwise the Check-Disk will be cancelled and you computer will continue to boot-up as normal.
Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users