Ransomware query...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

After seeing your Facebook post about Ransomware I had a question for Dodi Glenn who was mentioned in the post as being the vice president of cyber security at PC Pitstop. I have looked high and low for anything by her and this Ransomware threat but have come up empty. In the article linked to your Facebook post you mention that later revisions of this Ransomware also deletes Shadow Copies used to restore files. http://www.csoonline...ransomware.html

Will these latest revisions to this malware also delete my System Images? If not then I am safe as I backup all Data and create a System Image daily. If System Images on a separate drive are also affected and/or deleted is it time to start saving my System Images on a removable SSD using the Docking Station in my PC case? I appreciate any information you can give me on this. I have never encountered any such threat but I don't want to sit here with a false sense of security either if the steps I have taken to protect my OS and Data are not sufficient. Thanks.

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 28,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

Place your back ups to a removable hard drive! Don’t store your backups on an internal hard drive or network share you have write access to. The ransomware could encrypt the files on your connected backup drive or on your network share if you have full write access.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2016

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

OK, thank you for the reply. I save my System Images to a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB drive and a redundant copy to a 3.5" 1 TB HDD as a failsafe. It would be easy enough for me to remove the 840 EVO from my case and then slip it into the docking station each day. After that I can eject it and store it in a safe place for later.

#4 DJS8917

DJS8917

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

DJS8917

I got hit with a ransomware virus which encrypted my MS Word, Excell, pdf and jpg, png files.

Fortunately I was able to work around it and had backups.

I bought PCMatic with Supershield to try to get rid of it and prevent future attacks.

PCMatic worked to some extent - but did not remove all the virus files.

With the help of my computer guru, the ransomware is no longer encrypting current files -

BUT at least one copy of the virus file remains, and my task bar shows 39 processes active - which slows everything down dramatically.

What to do?

For those who may want to know - or return the favor to the slimy trolls - their instructions say to go to their website:

***LINK REMOVED****

Nigel.

I wish ANONYMOUS would target them for takedown!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users