Login Free Scans Overdrive

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

As long as I am posting for technical support, I thought I would run a scan.  I could not remember how to login, but probably would have been able to if the webmaster specified what the user ID consisted of, whole email address vs. just the part before the @.

#2 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

so.... it's not your fault, it's somebody else's fault?

I am what I am and that's all that I am ~ famous American philosopher 1929 - present

#3 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,843 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:39 PM

Nothing has changed compared to past use.  User ID's are selected by the user at the time of registration, they are not assigned in any way by PC Pitstop nor under the specification of the webmaster.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#4 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

I am going to have to stop using this site.  The Overdrive scan has become so complicated that I quit trying to run it.  Had it ran on my Windows XP, I may not have had to start my other thread, which will probably hang unresolved, the way Microsoft runs its forums.

#5 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

The Reason For The Season

• Moderators
  • 23,653 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:36 AM

The Overdrive scan has become so complicated that I quit trying to run it.

What is complicated about the Overdrive test? You go to the main site, click the menu button, go to Scans/Overdrive,log in, run the test, done! Granted the test I just ran I had to skip the bandwidth test but this rig is O L D...

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25809295

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

#6 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

also keep in mind that you can run this without signing in (anonymously) so possibly forgotten passwords are a moot point

I am what I am and that's all that I am ~ famous American philosopher 1929 - present

#7 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

Since returning to this site over the last week, I have neither been able to run Overdrive on this Windows 7 nor on my Windows XP.  One thing that has changed that wasn't true in my past use, I never had to run any browser as Administrator, as if that made a difference.

#8 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,843 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

I would suggest rolling back to IE 10 and see if that resolves the issues you are having.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#9 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

What for?  I went from IE9, and happy with just that, to IE11 unwillingly under Microsoft intimidation.  Microsoft said that users had to upgrade to be able to use their forums which they do not answer, a move probably directed at XP users.  Rolling back on IE11 on my Windows 7, which does not have any other problems, will not help with my XP, which runs IE8 with Firefox as default.  The XP is the one with problems I am trying to fix.

Edited by troothteller, 24 July 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#10 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,843 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

Thank you for clarifying that.  When you stated " I have neither been able to run Overdrive on this Windows 7 nor on my Windows XP.  One thing that has changed that wasn't true in my past use, I never had to run any browser as Administrator, ...". 

Running IE as admin only started with Windows 7 and as you also mentioned Windows 7 it was not clear that you were only referring to XP.

So what happens when you try to run OverDrive on your XP computer?

#11 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

On both computers nothing happens regardless of whether I logged in.  It stays on the page "Entering the pit."

#12 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,843 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Run the Active X control removal tool from the link below:

http://files.pcpitst.../Remove-All.cmd

Then try OverDrive again and verify if it downloads a new Active X control. An Active X control install request will look like the image in this link:

http://img855.images...5/1185/spv9.jpg

#13 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

To my knowledge there is no 32-Bit IE11 on this computer.  Running as Administrator it created a page that looks like garbage especially to the left.  Its doing the same thing in Firefox.  I took a screenshot in IE11; but don't know how to post it.  The screenshot looks pretty big.  Having already gotten off my XP, I am not going back there to run this after having had to post here again.  It is getting late and I wanted to wrap this up hours ago.

#14 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

The Reason For The Season

• Moderators
  • 23,653 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

troothteller, on your XP maachine when you say it just stays on the page "Entering The PIT", if you scroll down the page a little does it say "Let's Go"?? I have a machine with low resolution (connected to my old TV) and when I run the Overdrive test after I log in I have to scroll waaay down the page in order to run the test, then I have to scroll down another long ways to the "Let's Go" part in order to git 'er done.

Check it out... ;)

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

#15 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

No, "Let's Go" does not appear.  Honestly, since my XP has the problems I am trying to debug, I probably should not try to run the test.  My OS must have some damage if I cannot do simple things like bring up my Windows Firewall settings, a feature I should not need because I have a third party firewall, or get rid of Device Manager errors.

#16 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

aOn my XP in IE8 I got to the page that says "Scan My System," where is asked about 6 times for me to download the ActiveX; but it still did not run.  As far as this system goes, no one paid attention to my other thread.  Microsoft withdrew support for XP users and has not provided anything good since.  Why would anyone want to side with Microsoft? 

#17 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,265 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:06 AM

Time to ditch XP - It shouldn't be connected to the internet as it's a haven for Bots.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#18 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

If I knew this site was going to take Micorsoft's side, then I would not have used it in the first place.

#19 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

you are really not making a lot of sense

#20 troothteller

troothteller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

Microsoft + PCPitstop = Menace.  I am going to delete my account.  If there is a moderator inspecting this forum, then please at least assist me in deleting my account, including all login information.  I do not see an option to do that.

Edited by troothteller, 28 July 2015 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users