• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 badbinary

badbinary

the dude abides

• The SWAT Team
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

The test is nice and useful as it always has been, but I noticed a few things on my latest test.

First off, the bandwidth test is too short to detect the real bandwidth of some faster connections.  My connection is 320 Mb/s but the test here finished while it was still ramping up and stopped at 65,176 Kb/s (65 Mb/s).  When I test using speedtest.net it gives accurate results.  I understand this is a limitation of the ookla test and isn't under your control, but as people get faster connections it's something you should think about.

Secondly, and related to the first, the highest option for download speed on the form at the end is 150 Mb/s.  There are quite a few ISP's now that offer up to 1 Gb/s speeds.  You may want to consider updating that.

And finally, you list steam.exe as a craplet and as "A utility related to the Half-Live game."  Okay, first it's "Half-Life", and second that's a 16 year old game.  Steam is far more than that and is far from a craplet.  If steam is deemed a craplet then so should Origin and U-Play as they all do similar things just for different gaming companies.

Thanks for the good work you do guys!

edit:  spelling

Edited by badbinary, 23 September 2014 - 07:43 PM.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,868 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

We definitely need to upgrade our version of the Ookla speed test. It is on our list of projects but does not have an ETA.  Upgrading should resolve the issues that you have reported.

Secondly, I have requested that our web developer add the additional options for the Internet speed selections.

Finally, I will look into updating the Steam.exe advice.  It may take me a day or so but I will get it done.  Thanks for pointing that out.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 geewhiz

geewhiz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

:tup:   kudos to both posts

I am what I am and that's all that I am ~ famous American philosopher 1929 - present

#4 badbinary

badbinary

the dude abides

• The SWAT Team
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

We definitely need to upgrade our version of the Ookla speed test. It is on our list of projects but does not have an ETA.  Upgrading should resolve the issues that you have reported.

Secondly, I have requested that our web developer add the additional options for the Internet speed selections.

Finally, I will look into updating the Steam.exe advice.  It may take me a day or so but I will get it done.  Thanks for pointing that out.

thanks man...er...guy   :tup:

Edited by badbinary, 23 September 2014 - 07:46 PM.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

#5 mishpaka

mishpaka

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

Didn't know quite where to put this but here it is : Today I tested my HP pc, and the bandwidth test locked-up.  It said : Notify the site.....   consider yourself notified that the bandwidth test didn't work.  Everything else ok up to that point.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users