Why cant I paste my question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Adela

Adela

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Yes, I'm more comfortable typing in my email then pasting it here, but this doesn't let me...Why?  Thanks.

#2 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 23,991 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

In the reply box click the small brown icon like the one I have circled here, it will give you a pop-up window in which you can paste. OR, you can go to the far upper left corner of the box and click that button and that will allow you to paste...

Attached File  Paint.jpg   43.42KB   1 downloads

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

#3 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 23,244 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

you taught me something today,  I always used the toggle switch,  you posted that image and it shows a paste button....

well how about that!

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, Windows Insider MVP 2017

#4 Tomk_

Tomk_

WTT Teacher

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm to lazy to keep using the light/toggle switch.

I just right click in the reply box and select paste.... or... click anywhere in the reply box and then hold ctrl button while pressing V button.

#5 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 23,244 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I just right click in the reply box and select paste

I held cental - v......wowssa new toy!

Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, Windows Insider MVP 2017

#6 Adela

Adela

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Just want to thank caintry boy (I found the icons you indicated but it still doesn't copy or paste!)  What's the procedure?  The Copy icon here is greyed out.  So I copied your name the normal way.  Then I came back here to click on the Paste icon, okaying Access but no results.  Perhaps you could give me the step by step?  What's the reason for this complication???

If I find this problem again I won't be able to come and ask a question - my losss.    

Thanks again for trying to help.

Adela

P.S.  I never received notice that I had answers, this is the reason for my delay...

Edited by Adela, 15 February 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#7 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi Adela,

Once you've got your question or response copied into your clipboard, just follow Tomk_'s advise below:

I just right click in the reply box and select paste.... or... click anywhere in the reply box and then hold ctrl button while pressing V button.

This is the quickest way to copy/paste into the forum's reply box.

Edit and space your text as you wish it to display and then click the "Post" button.

:) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#8 8210GUY

8210GUY

Braindead

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

This was happening over at WTT, and here I am having the same problem, whether the reasons are the same I can't say, but there is\was a known bug to do with the forum software, and ie11, it stopped the copy\cut\paste from working in ie11, but there is some kind of fix or update for it now, at least in the case of WTT (which has been sorted and this function is now working as it should there), so those in power would need to check into that if it is what I suspect, as it is a board issue (the board makers not the site, and WTT use the same board), and check they have the latest version or fix for this, again assuming it is the same issue, it's beyond my level but I mention it incase it highlights something to those in power, hope it helps.

#9 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

This was happening over at WTT, and here I am having the same problem, whether the reasons are the same I can't say, but there is\was a known bug to do with the forum software, and ie11, it stopped the copy\cut\paste from working in ie11, but there is some kind of fix or update for it now, at least in the case of WTT (which has been sorted and this function is now working as it should there), so those in power would need to check into that if it is what I suspect, as it is a board issue (the board makers not the site, and WTT use the same board), and check they have the latest version or fix for this, again assuming it is the same issue, it's beyond my level but I mention it incase it highlights something to those in power, hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll check into it and see if we can get it resolved here. :tup:

edit:  Got the IE11 bug fix in place, so hopefully that'll resolve it.

Thanks again 8210GUY 

Edited by Y kawika, 16 February 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#10 Adela

Adela

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hello and thank you 8210GUY and Y kawika for the explanation of the why of this glitch.   The right click and Paste is the normal way.  But when I do this I get that long list of options...except the Paste option.  I even tried to copy something from this message that I'm typing here and then right click to paste but I get the same negative results. 

Now, how, does one use one of the Paste icons at the upper right hand corner in this page which caintry boy gave me?  I tried it and didn't work for me.  I also don't know which of the 3 icons at the upper left hand corner to use and how to use them.  I certainly tried several times and several ways.

Thanks again...  :(        Adela 

P.S.  Also, what happened to the "Reply" buttons, the "review" and a sad smilie?     :)

#11 8210GUY

8210GUY

Braindead

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, I'll check into it and see if we can get it resolved here. :tup:

Thanks again 8210GUY 

NP, but not sure it's 100% sorted yet, problem is I can offer little in the way of direction as to what's up directly, but if I try and copy and paste into the reply box, or if I use the More Reply Options, I get the same, no paste, yet now I have quoted some post(s) I can paste happily, eg:-

Thanks again 8210GUY 

So not sure if this is just me, or shows something else is needed, but I mention it incase.

Hello and thank you 8210GUY and Y kawika for the explanation of the why of this glitch.   The right click and Paste is the normal way.  But when I do this I get that long list of options...except the Paste option.  I even tried to copy something from this message that I'm typing here and then right click to paste but I get the same negative results. 

Now, how, does one use one of the Paste icons at the upper right hand corner in this page which caintry boy gave me?  I tried it and didn't work for me.  I also don't know which of the 3 icons at the upper left hand corner to use and how to use them.  I certainly tried several times and several ways.

Thanks again...   :(        Adela 

P.S.  Also, what happened to the "Reply" buttons, the "review" and a sad smilie?     :)

You can use any of the boards icons above the reply box to enable doing most of, if not all functions, or you can click the "More Reply Options" in the button next to the "Post" button to enable the full reply window the way you may be used to, the smiley icon is above the box, if you click it you can access the icon's, hope that helps with some of what you want anyway.

#12 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 20,867 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Clear your IE11 browser cache and see if this helps:

https://www.invision...uote-issues-r58

#13 8210GUY

8210GUY

Braindead

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Nope, no change, at least under right click, but the CTRL + V worked, at least in this reply, I have my browsers set to remove site data on exit, and I use 3 junk file cleaners, but to check I went in and physically emptied the cached files prior to running the cleaners, which I ran after, and this reply was done after all this prep to test this.

One thing I remembered, and tried here, was the skins, I changed skin and could right click and paste just fine, but revert it back to IP.Board and back to no right click working again, with luck this may tell you something, it could just be me, but that's what I am finding currently, after a fresh install, hope it helps.

#14 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

I've been having the same issue...if I need to quote an external source I need to open the ' <> ' quote tag then click on the clip board with the word icon on and paste into that...it works sometimes...not all the time.

If it's any help I had a message last time telling me a security setting in browser was blocking content. Running Chrome V31 on SUSe 13.1.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#15 Adela

Adela

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks so much 8110Guy, nygsy and all the others who are trying to help, but....the easiest thing for me is to go to another forum since I have enough difficulty trying to fix my own glitches let alone someone else's...

What's funny to me is that a forum by PC Pitstop, a technicians technician which hosts so many wonderful techy bloggers...can't keep its own forum in A1 tech condition... lol!

Thanks again but I'm writing off... :) Adela

#16 8210GUY

8210GUY

Braindead

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks so much 8110Guy, nygsy and all the others who are trying to help, but....the easiest thing for me is to go to another forum since I have enough difficulty trying to fix my own glitches let alone someone else's...

What's funny to me is that a forum by PC Pitstop, a technicians technician which hosts so many wonderful techy bloggers...can't keep its own forum in A1 tech condition... lol!

Thanks again but I'm writing off... :) Adela

TBH it is not the forums\sites fault, this issue is due to the board makers, and\or ie11, and it is highly likely many forums will have the same problem if they are using the same board, so my advice is put this issue to one side, and continue to ask about your issues that you need help with, Should your need to copy and paste be important to you to then try the things I have mentioned as working here, see if they work for you, if they don't work, then temporarily use another browser, I know it's not the ideal, but given this has only just been found to be a problem here, they have acted as fast as they can, and the fix may take a couple of tweaks before fully sorting it.

But if your posting on several forums (hence copying and pasting to save typing), it can work against you sometimes, because if you follow advice on one forum, it could complicate finding the problem, because doing one thing suggested by one forum, could change things that can affect advice offered on another forum, so it's usually better to ask in one place, if that yields no results then try another place, I know this can slow down getting a result, but I mention it to raise awareness.

#17 Adela

Adela

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Thank you 8210Guy!  As to your last paragraph (can't copy)   :D  I understand but I don't use this function to place my question in several forums, I use it because I feel better typing it on my email first, and when finished, I copy/paste it to the forum.  Why ?  Because some times, in any forum, I may lose what I already wrote for whatever reason - it could be that I needed to see another page of the forum, or touched some button that I shouldn't have, etc. and I lose the text and must start all over again...

But if your posting on several forums (hence copying and pasting to save typing), it can work against you sometimes, because if you follow advice on one forum, it could complicate finding the problem, because doing one thing suggested by one forum, could change things that can affect advice offered on another forum, so it's usually better to ask in one place, if that yields no results then try another place, I know this can slow down getting a result, but I mention it to raise awareness.

Lo and behold!  I just tried something else - I clicked on the last icon on the upper right corner - "Options" and after a couple of steps it did it!!!  I can't believe this.  Did you know about it?   But I don't know whether it will come out since there's no "Review" button here any more...      Adela

#18 Adela

Adela

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

But....it seems what the Options ALSO did was to remove all the features from this page as they are ALLgreyed out! How to reverse this? A.

#19 8210GUY

8210GUY

Braindead

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

I knew options was there, but other than being able to paste in plain text, or clear saved content, I don't see the benefit, some copy and paste I want to keep the formatting, so I leave those entries unchecked, but what I am finding currently is that it takes little to be able to paste, problem is, it could be anything, there is no definitive thing I can say, as a few times during this I have been able to paste, so it is an obscure thing currently, that I am experiencing at least.

But as I said above, if you click the button beside the "Post" button labelled "More Reply Options" you will see the full reply section you are missing, with all it's options like preview etc.

Greyed out features indicate they are not available for some reason, eg without having text to paste, the paste clipboard icon will not be active, so depending on just what features you mean, it could be that simple.

Something to try if you haven't already, is physically log out of the site, close your browser, and clear your cache (as I was advised above), it often clears up all sorts of things, just because it hasn't completely worked for me, it doesn't mean it won't work for you, certainly can't hurt to try, needless to say make sure you know your password to get back in, hopefully this will help.

#20 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

My new set of whiskers!

• Moderators
  • 23,991 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

I find also that it depends on the browser I'm using, whether I can copy/paste in the quick reply box.

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users