Photo

Verizon Fios feels slow? Just installed two days ago?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XillianIX

XillianIX

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

I was wondering if someone can help me, Verizon Fios, Internet/ phone was installed two days ago. But I do not notice much of a speed change from DSL? I bet it has something to do with the settings. It does load streaming videos faster, but i only notice a slight difference. For downloading PS3 demos it is faster but still slow. For example it took the same amount of time it usually takes to download a theme. So for downloads, faster but not that fast same with streaming video. For streaming video I still have to wait. For web browsing, about the same as dsl. Pages still take time to load and sometimes i get timeout messages which i do not get with dsl. So........ unless I'm downloading a big file, it's the same as dsl or worse being unable to connect. Can someone help with configuring the router? I think that's the problem. Verizon help is terrible, and I think they are actually worse than the "help" dell gives out. Here's my speed results, only 1 computer is on for browsing right now: Speedtest.net: download: 7581 kb/s upload: 3981 kb/s 11pings 50mi distance Is this normal? I try with other computers and the speed feels the same for all three. computer 1: Wireless XP Professional laptop with Rising Antivirus and Online Armor. computer 2: ethernet XP Home desktop with Rising Antivirus and zonealarm computer 3: wireless Vista desktop with Comondo antivirus and firewall Is the router being a firewall? I do not think so, but I'm running out ideas.

#2 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,458 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

First off dl and run this, it optimizes your settings for the higher speeds. You'll need to know what Fios package you have to set it correctly(ie:5/2 10/2 20/5 ...). You mentioned the router, it's well known that the Fios(Actionjunk-tek) routers suck but if you have the Fios TV service you have to use it, and it does act as a firewall in sense.
What browser are you using. Tx Redneck<-------- not a FireFox fan boi.

If you're testing wirelessly, it will never "feel" as snappy as a hardwires pc will.

Here's mine w/ Fios from the PC Pitstop speedtest.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 20448 kbps (2556 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4531 kbps (566.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 42 ms

If you can post a link after running the overdrive test it could help in trying to figure this out for/with you.

Edited by Tx Redneck, 06 December 2008 - 06:22 AM.

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#3 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Have you tried my recommendation?

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#4 XillianIX

XillianIX

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

Have you tried my recommendation?

Didn't have achance to because of work. I will later tonight because I have to find out which internet fios that we have and for my mother to finish using hte computer hookup to the router via ethernet.

It's an actiontech or something router, the one you guessed.

I will do that when she's done with the pc.

Thank you.

#5 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:44 AM

Didn't have achance to because of work. I will later tonight because I have to find out which internet fios that we have and for my mother to finish using hte computer hookup to the router via ethernet.

It's an actiontech or something router, the one you guessed.

I will do that when she's done with the pc.

Thank you.

NP, if that doesn't help, try power cycling the router. BTW, what AV or Suite are you using?

#6 XillianIX

XillianIX

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

I tried the program and it didn't help. The computer connected via ethernet runs great. No problems. It's using rising antivirus and zonealarm. My laptop connection feels slower than my dsl. Downloads are much better. My ps3 for example can download demos in 1/2 the time or better, same with the laptop. But let say I wanted to go to pcpitstop.com, it took its time. I was able to go downstairs to snack on some chips and have a can of soda THEN the page finally loaded. I thought it might be my firewall or peer gaurdian or antivirus. I disabled EVERY security software I had and just went web browsing. Same waiting for images to load section by section. I also ran all my anti spyware to see if there were any nasties. Nada. A-squad and spybot being the main two. It doesn't make much sense to me why would downloads be faster and web browsing be slower? It usually says 96-98% connection so......... I'm lost. I dunno, I'm not happy with FIOS, I think DSL had more bang for the buck.

#7 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

I tried the program and it didn't help.

The computer connected via ethernet runs great. No problems. It's using rising antivirus and zonealarm.

My laptop connection feels slower than my dsl. Downloads are much better. My ps3 for example can download demos in 1/2 the time or better, same with the laptop. But let say I wanted to go to pcpitstop.com, it took its time. I was able to go downstairs to snack on some chips and have a can of soda THEN the page finally loaded.

I thought it might be my firewall or peer gaurdian or antivirus. I disabled EVERY security software I had and just went web browsing. Same waiting for images to load section by section. I also ran all my anti spyware to see if there were any nasties. Nada. A-squad and spybot being the main two.

It doesn't make much sense to me why would downloads be faster and web browsing be slower? It usually says 96-98% connection so......... I'm lost.

I dunno, I'm not happy with FIOS, I think DSL had more bang for the buck.

Before you give up, check your PM's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users