• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bg1256

bg1256

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

Before I ask, let me say two things. First, I hope I'm not bringing up anything illegal. If I am, then please let me know. I honestly have to plead ignorance here. Second, I did search the forums, with no luck. I have several DVD's that are "copy-protected" as it says on the back of the dvd case. I'm simply wondering if there is a way to get around this legally, using k9copy (or anything else for that matter). I've copied a few of my dvd's succesfully, and I'd like to do the rest (particularly some TV series, since they're more collectibles than anything else -- and I prefer to leave them on the shelf). Again, if this is treading on thin ice, just say so. Thanks :clap:

#2 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:22 PM

If you have libdvdcss then you should be able to make "personal backups" of most DVD's. (it isn't what you say, it's how you say it) ;)

http://www.videolan..../libdvdcss.html

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#3 someguyouknoe

someguyouknoe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

k9copy works great for me. As for whether its legal or not, i am not sure but i doubt it is.

#4 tito

tito

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

Well BG1256, it would appear you have accidentally encrypted your own DVD content, an easy mistake. The LibDVDCSS package should get K3B running fine.

#5 bg1256

bg1256

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Well, I have libdvdcss insatlled.

But, I'm still getting the same error message:

An error occurred during DVD authoring. :nono:

I'm using default settings... is there something I should be changing?

The dvd in question is currently Pink Panther by Sony.

Here are some screenies of the errors:

Edited by bg1256, 10 April 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#6 xXenXx

xXenXx

Debian ninja

• Advanced Member
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:59 AM

If you just want to copy them, use K3B. You don't need any other program (though you do need libdvdcss). Alternatively, you could just use whatever program to make an iso of dvd, and then you whatever program to burn the iso to another dvd (same as you would a distro iso).

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/storage/discs/deltaForce.iso bs=2048
Change /dev/cdrom to whatever your device is named, and /storage/discs/deltaForce.iso to the path and filename of the iso. After you do this you should have no trouble burning the iso with K3B, Brasero, or any of the other burning programs for Linux.

If you want to rip a dvd (and I know you aren't asking this, but just to get this information out there, dvd::rip is a great program.

#7 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

can you watch the dvd?? coz I've found if I could watch it I could back it up. Must admit I haven't yet come across a dvd I couldn't watch or back up. all I do is put ithe dvd in my drive open k3b click on the drive with the media I want to back up a pop up appears I then click on the tab that says open dvd copy dialog. another pop up appears I click on only create image under the options tag then I click on the image tag and browse to where I want to store the dvd then I just click start. by doing it this way you use a lot more disc space coz your creating an iso image(cloning the dvd) but it will copy the dvd in about 5 mins instead of encoding and backing up just the film file(this is what happens if you "rip" the dvd) which takes about 8 hrs on my pc but uses up a lot less disc space. hope this helps you some.. :b33r: edit:- If you can't even watch it let me know and I'll check if there's something your missing against what I got installed coz if I remember correctly you have 64bit suse installed same as me.... :b33r:

Edited by terry1966, 11 April 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#8 bg1256

bg1256

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

all I do is put ithe dvd in my drive open k3b click on the drive with the media I want to back up a pop up appears I then click on the tab that says open dvd copy dialog.
another pop up appears I click on only create image under the options tag then I click on the image tag and browse to where I want to store the dvd then I just click start.

by doing it this way you use a lot more disc space coz your creating an iso image(cloning the dvd) but it will copy the dvd in about 5 mins instead of encoding and backing up just the film file(this is what happens if you "rip" the dvd) which takes about 8 hrs on my pc but uses up a lot less disc space.

I will have to try the create image option. What I have been doing is simply clicking on copy in the toolbar.

edit:- If you can't even watch it let me know and I'll check if there's something your missing against what I got installed coz if I remember correctly you have 64bit suse installed same as me.... :b33r:

Actually, Kubuntu 6.10...But Suse is a goal for this summer.

I like Linux, but I'm having some Kubuntu frustrations that I can't seem to get rid of... But, I don't have time to learn Suse until the semester is over. So, come the end of May, I'm giving Suse a go!

For the record, I've successfully burned several DVD's now; however, I'm still having problems with the discs labeled "copy-protected."

I have not tried watching them in my computer... but I've never had a problem watching a dvd before once I got the codecs installed.

#9 jhewitt3476

jhewitt3476

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

To squash any confusion about the "Legality" of copyrighted material for the "End User", here goes, (This pertains to the laws of the United States Only)...

If you own a "Hard Copy" (i.e. a physical copy) of ANY copyrighted material such as books, songs, games, video games, movies and even software, you have the right under U.S. law to make up to TWO ADDITIONAL COPIES of said material, a "Back-Up" copy & a "Usable" copy and you may keep them as long as you have the hard physical copy of the original purchased material.

Companies that make the threats of "Prosecution" and/or add some form of "Protection" fail to tell you these little bits so as to intimidate you.

HOWEVER !!! (Here comes the clincher/s)...

1: You may at NO time sell or freely distribute/redistribute ANY of the copyrighted back up material !!!

2: Upon relinquishing original copyrighted material, the "Backup" and "Usable" copies MUST be destroyed, (the new guy/gal has to make their own !!!

and here's the big one !!!

3: "Downloaded Content" DOES NOT fall under the "End User" rights laws even if purchased.  eBooks, songs, games, video games, movies and software as there is no original "Physical Copy" of the material CAN NOT be copied !!! Even as the "End User", unless you have purchased with or separately, a distribution or redistibution license of the downloaded material/s from the owner of the "Copyright"  of said material, , you can CLAIM NO RIGHTS to said material. (just being on a hard drive or memory stick or even burnt to disk does NOT count as an "ORIGINAL PHYSICAL COPY")

So BEWARE to all who this may or even may not pertain to, just to know this can keep your tail out of some big trouble but give you some peace of mind as well.

Enjoy All :)

Edited by jhewitt3476, 04 November 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#10 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,461 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Why dig up a 6 year old thread?

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#11 KurtBleach

KurtBleach

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

Maybe the poster was 6 years old when the thread was a thread and now said thread has relevance to him or her?

I've never gotten this thing about not resurrecting old topics. Yes, do your due diligence and Google or whatever what you need to know, but if a thread is old and has an answer in it, why not?

Maybe MBs should clean out their old threads if they don't want people opening them after SIX YEARS, OH JESUS!

Trust me, if there is a 25-year-old thread on here about how I juggled between two beautiful gfs, damn right I want it immortalized. :mrgreen:

#12 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Usually old threads are dug up by spammers so we keep an eye on them. Occasionally some old threads get dug up with new info, I'd it's useful we'll let it ride.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#13 terry1966

terry1966

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

good legal info, and something everyone should know in my opinion.

:b33r:

#14 John 44

John 44

Linux sampler

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Some DVDs just can't be copied in Linux. Some DVDs have intentionally built in bad sectors which defeat any Linux program I've ever tried and can only be backed up/copied by a windows program like AnyDVD. Also, even if there are no bad sectors built in or from scratches, some DVDs have 99 title copy protection which baffles k3b, dvdbackup/mkisofs, and k9copy but dd will make an iso of them.

#15 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,786 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Takes me back in time, Way back :geezer:

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#16 Hyperanayer

Hyperanayer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:38 AM

If not for commercial use, i think okay for most countries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users