How do you find your router IP address?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 plastidcells

plastidcells

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

I need to access the router configuration page to open up some ports. From what I've read, I get the impression that I need to enter my router's IP address into my web browser, and from there the configuration page will pop up and it should be straight-forward from there. The default IP address doesn't work and I get the feeling that I had changed the IP address when I set the router up. Is there any way to find the IP address without resetting the router? (Note: I may not have a clue as to what I'm talking about, so if I say something wrong, please correct me)

#2 wolf88

wolf88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:29 AM

First try a couple of possibilities: 192.168.1.1 192.168.0.1 192.168.2.1 If none of those work just give another reply.

#3 plastidcells

plastidcells

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

Ya none of those worked for me

#4 PORTHOS

PORTHOS

Format and be done with it already

• Advanced Member
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

What brand router??

#5 plastidcells

plastidcells

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:07 AM

It's a TRENDnet router

#6 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,572 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:00 AM

Open a console, and type ipconfig. It should show your IP address and the ip address of the default gateway, the default gateway would be the IP of your router.

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#7 plastidcells

plastidcells

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:54 AM

ya... doesn't work
I thought that was the default IP address of my router... Like what it was when I first installed it, but I guess during the initial setup of the router I had changed the IP address because apparently it doesn't work anymore...
o.... and as a side note... I tried all of the IP addresses listed with ipconfig /all just in case. None worked

#8 PORTHOS

PORTHOS

Format and be done with it already

• Advanced Member
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

It's a TRENDnet router

Thier site showed 192.168.1.1

#9 plastidcells

plastidcells

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

Yes... I've already tried that...
Is it possible that I've changed my router's IP during initial configuration and that's why using these default IPs don't work?
Or maybe I'm not doing something right. Will my (WindowsXP SP2) firewall affect anything?

All I really want to do is access my router's configuration page to forward a few ports. So if there's any other way to doing all this, then I'll give it a shot.
Although keep in mind that I do not want to reconfigure everything, so I guess resetting my router is off limits, right?

EDIT: Well I finally found my router manual, and it appears that I can access it through telnet using the default IP (the IP from the 'default gateway'). However, when I use this exact same IP and plug it into my browser (firefox) it comes up with a 'page not found' notice.

Although I'm not using the browser-based configuration page, www.portforward.com says to create a virtual server. I guess I'm going to go try that

Edited by plastidcells, 08 September 2005 - 05:43 PM.

#10 Guest_Relinqu_*

Guest_Relinqu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:25 PM

plastidcells, this solution should work and if it dosent, you will have to reset your router. Click on start, click run, type in cmd. In cmd, type ipconfig. On some routers there will be 4 feilds, otherwise there will only be 3. On the field called "Default gateway", that will be your router's IP address. Type that IP into your browser. A field called Enter username and password for (router name) will appear. The default password is admin. If this dosent work, you have to reset your router. Hopefully I was some help to your issue. :crash:

#11 plastidcells

plastidcells

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

Ya thanks relingu.
I got it all sorted out now... for the most part...

It's sorta weird--I can't access my router through a browser (I tried firefox and IE)...

It turns out that the "Default gateway" is my router's IP, but I can only access it through telnet but not my web-browsers

Oh well... I pretty much got things running smoothly anyway. Thanks :)

#12 sidewinder64

sidewinder64

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

If your using a proxy server you have to enter the address of your router in the exceptions box to bypass the proxy, tools, internet options,connections, lan settings, advanced, then enter the address of your router in the exceptions box, ok then close all open browsers.....

#13 PaladinConker

PaladinConker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

i have a trendnet router the ip i use is
The other post were correct but missed one zero.

#14 kburra

kburra

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

Had a similar problem and fixed it by resetting the router....... then 192.168.1.1 should work.

#15 adam80

adam80

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Simple way to check your ip is explained on google blog simple by google search :)

Other way is to check what is my ip address and location :)

#16 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,693 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Simple way to check your ip is explained on google blog simple by google search :)

Other way is to check what is my ip address and location :)

adam80...your "google.blog" link gives a blank page and "What Is My IP" only gives your current IP address and location, NOT the IP address of your router which is generally somethiing like 198.168.0.1 ;)

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

#17 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

If you can only telnet into your router, and power cycling doesn't fix this issue, then either your firmware is broke and can't offer a webpage up, OR you have that ability disabled in the firmware. Since you're starting to dig around in it anyways, I would recommend reseting the unit to factory defaults, checking if there are any updates for the firmware, then resetting security and wifi settings as needed again.

#18 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

I'm guessing as the OP was in 2005, the issue has been fixed!!

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#19 Juliet

Juliet

Advanced Member

• Trusted Malware Techs
  • 22,186 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm guessing as the OP was in 2005, the issue has been fixed!!

LOL
Please do not PM me for HJT help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users