Photo

How to delete files burned to disc (or format)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iron

iron

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

I formatted a new disc and burned some files to it. Now it says I cannot format it or delete any of the files because they are "read only". I am using XP and also did (use XP) for the burn process. I also cannot change the attributes to be able to manipulate the files.

What can I do now and what did I do "then" to cause the attributes to be so difficult to work with? ... so I don't make same mistake again in future.

I also would think I could format the disc no matter what (at any time) ??

Thanks a lot for any help.

Rj

PS - my first experiences burning material to a disc so please forgive any ignorance on my part that may have caused this all.

#2 bacterozoid

bacterozoid

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

There are two basic types of CDs for burning: CD-R CD-RW A basic CD-R can only be written to, but CD-RWs can be written to, erased, edited, etc. You can find the type written on the face of the disc.

#3 iron

iron

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:41 PM

yes - sorry, I forgot to mention that it is indeed a CD-RW (re-writable) so ... now what to do? Please and thanks again. Rj

#4 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

When I formatted a CD-R/W disk so I could copy files to it and delete them at will, I lost that ability as soon as I uninstalled the packet writing software I had on my computer which I had used to format the disk (InCD). Didn't like it running at Startup, but as soon as I uninstalled InCD, all the files on the disk went to Read Only and I couldn't do anything with them. I believe that in order to manipulate the files on the disk, the packet writing software used to format the CD-R/W disk needs to be present and accounted for on the computer you're using to manipulate the files on the disk. -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#5 iron

iron

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

Certainly a thought or consideration that makes perfect sense ... but I did not delete any such program or files (99% sure). Regardless, since this may be "on to something", how do I find out what the program is / or if "is present", etc so I can manipulate the files? I am sure it could be downloaded from the net somewhere? I bought this laptop new from Dell and it was ALL already on there and I did not mess with anything related to this. Just bought a couple months ago. Thanks.

#6 theoldgardener

theoldgardener

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

You also have to watchout for windows cd writer-- it is default setting to close all disks when the writing is complete... You may be running into this little item!!! and yes you do have to have the original writing program to read your disks later, seems the writing formats are not universal, as in Incd, Roxio ( I had to borrow a roxio disk to view my pictures I had burned a long time age---and there is no universal format... ;) ;)

#7 nkpguitar

nkpguitar

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:00 AM

when you put the CDRW disc in your drive you should be able to simply drag and drop onto the disc through windows, like you would with a floppy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users