• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

Okay, so I bought a used DVD-ROM from my local PC shop, specifically so I could play GTA: San Andreas :D However, I'm not sure how to install it into my tower so that it'll work properly, so I've come here for some help! Now, I could have just paid the guys to install it for me, but after buying the damn thing, I really didn't feel like paying more money for them to install something quickly that I could probably do myself. Not to mention I'd be hard-pressed to be able to cary my tower down to their shop on my bike. So I'm asking: how do I install this DVD-ROM? I've currently got one other drive in my tower, and that's my CD-R/CD-RW reader/burner. Now, my tower's got 3 extra spaces where I can put in other drives, so I figure it goes in there. As I look at the back of my DVD-ROM, I see the following labelled ports: Digital Analog Audio [DG] Digital Analog Audio [RGGL] Cable Select Slave Master Most Interface 39-1, 40-2 Power 5V, G, G + 12V ^^Note that those are just the text that it says on the back, some of them are in the same port. So I'm wondering, if anyone can tell me what to connect to properly be able to use this DVD-ROM? And just to be clear, I'm just adding the DVD-ROM into my tower, and am not changing my CD-R/CD-RW reader/burner. I'm not replacing the burner with the DVD-ROM. Can anyone help? If so, please use detailed instructions, as I'm not too good with installing hardware :) Thanks alot! :D

#2 pigfairy

pigfairy

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

I would say to open up the puter, put in the dvd-rom hook it all up, close the box and boot the puter up, windows will see the new hardware and install drivers and drive letter for new drive and all should be good. pigfairy

#3 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

Oh gee, that's just great. What the hell exactly do I hook up?

#4 par4

par4

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:36 PM

Here you go http://www.buildeasy...wto/instdvd.htm

#5 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!! :D :D :) :D :) :D :D So, are all those cables and wires that I have to use already in my computer, or do I have to buy them(Eww:()?

Edited by The It, 13 June 2005 - 06:45 PM.

#6 Doug

Doug

Attitudes are contagious....... Is yours worth catching?

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

I think there should be a "however or furthermore" in that straight forward advice. You'll be plugging the DVD-ROM into the IDE data ribbon. Probably to a connector in the middle of the ribbon, since your CD-RW is probably plugged to the connector on the end or Main/Master. This might not be true if the CD-RW is already sharing an IDE ribbon with the Hard Drive. So you will have to take a look and see what's what. If you connect your new DVD-ROM to the middle of an IDE Ribbon, then set the "jumpers" to either Slave, or Cable-Select. Your DVD will need power. Your power supply unit PSU has a harness of wires coming from it and usually has a few extras. You can use any plug that fits the 4 prong connector slot in the back of your DVD. That leaves the Question of the Audio Out. Most CD's work just fine without the audio out wire connected to the sound card. But that's what you have that extra wire for in the box your DVD came in. You can use it or not. There shouled be a couple of empty connector slots on the edge of your sound card that that wire will connect to. Only if you want to. And if you don't have a sound card and have on-board sound only, then I'm not sure where you'd connect audio and you should consult your owners manual. As for the DVD box install itself. Be sure to use all the screws provided or at least use a screw to secure the DVD in each hole the tray provides for securing it. Some have just two screws per side. Some have four per side. Use the screws provided by your DVD, and do not use screws that are LONGER than those provided, due to risk of the screw end interfering inside the DVD box if it is too long. Why be so careful about securing the DVD to the fram of your computer tower? Because those CDs and DVDs spin really fast and can set up vibration that can destroy the unit if not held securely. Finally. this is a DVD driver unit, not just a CD. Your Windows OS will identify it and install drivers to run it as a CD Reader. But you may have been provided additional Software by the DVD manufacture, to install to enable the DVD playing function of your unit. That's all. Post back with questions as your procede if necessary.

Edited by dough, 13 June 2005 - 06:49 PM.

Though we cannot change the direction of the wind,
We may adjust our sails.

#7 par4

par4

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

My pleasure ;)

Try not to blow you or your pc up :mrgreen:

#8 par4

par4

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :) :D :) :D :D

So, are all those cables and wires that I have to use already in my computer, or do I have to buy them(Eww:()?

They will already be there

The IDE ribbon that goes to your cd-rw should have a spare connector on it and you should have a spare 4 pin plug on your power supply

Edited by par4, 13 June 2005 - 06:49 PM.

#9 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:52 PM

Whoa, okay, what you just said confused me some more, yet I have a feeling that your method is right. I'm not really good at this stuff, so I don't know what all the terms and whatnot are. Is there any way you can try explaining it to me in plain old newbie terms? Okay, so first question: does my computer already have all the required wires and cables inside it, or will I have to go out and buy some? Second: Was the DVD-ROM supposed to come with screws? Because I didn't see any on it, are they already inside my PC? Third: I'm really confused about this Slave/Master thing. Can you try to explain it any better? How do I know what to set it to, or even how to set it?

#10 par4

par4

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

1. Cables...should be there

2. Screws...usually come with it.There won't be any in your case.
(you could take 2 out of your cd-rw and use them if you don't have any)

3. Set it to cable select.There should be a sticker on your new drive that tells you where to put the jumper

Edit* its just a matter of srewing it in and then putting 2 plugs in

Wht make and model drive do you have?

Edited by par4, 13 June 2005 - 07:00 PM.

#11 Bear

Bear

Mentally Deficient, Morally Corrupt & Socially Unfit NiceGuy

• Advanced Member
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Okay, so first question: does my computer already have all the required wires and cables inside it, or will I have to go out and buy some?

Yes they are there, look at the back of your drives there is one wide flat cable and one small probably white one with several wires coming from it

The flat one (called ide)
Look at it the drive that is on it now is probably at the end a bit down from that you will see another plug, that would go into the new drive.

The second plug (called MO-lex)
That is your power supply if there is an empty plug that will fit you can use it
in fact any empty MO-lex plugs that will fit can be used.

Second: Was the DVD-ROM supposed to come with screws? Because I didn't see any on it, are they already inside my PC?

Screws
Yes you need to mount the drive securely in the bay look at the drives already installed if they have more than two screws on each side take one, or if there is only two per side you can get away with removing one from each side on opposite corners

Third: I'm really confused about this Slave/Master thing. Can you try to explain it any better? How do I know what to set it to, or even how to set it?

As far as jumpers look at the drive that is already there does it have a jumper and what is the location?
if it does look at the top of the drive the location is there and will say

master/slave/master with slave present

if you see no jumpers then it is probably cable select which means just plug it in with no jumpers

Edited by The Bear, 13 June 2005 - 07:08 PM.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
George Carlin

Coming Soon My Own Live Streaming Radio Station

#12 Doug

Doug

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

does my computer already have all the required wires and cables inside it, or will I have to go out and buy some?

already in your tower.

Was the DVD-ROM supposed to come with screws?

yes, but you can probably go back to the seller and ask for them if they are not already loosely attached to the appropriate holes in the side of your DVD, matching the holes in the tower tray.

I'm really confused about this Slave/Master thing.

Master refers to the unit attached at the End of an IDE ribbon, Slave is usually attached to the middle connector. Your computer BIOS recognizes usually two devices per IDE ribbon. One is designated Master, on as Slave.

On the back of your DVD are copper pins very close to where you saw the printed words Master, Slave, Cable-Select. You will see a tiny "jumper" that is grounding two pins together. It's probably preset as Master. If you are connecting your DVD to the middle connector on the IDE Ribbon, then change the "jumper" to connect the two copper pins associated with Slave or Cable Select.

I wouldn't know which, Slave or Cable Select will work best for you. Try Cable Select first, and if that doesn't work well, change to Slave.

In some instances you may have to go into your CMOS settings to make sure that the settings for the IDE cable are set to Automatic Detect. But for now, just assume that the CMOS settings are correct and do the physical installation.

By the Way, Your working on electronic equipment. Be sure the power is turned off and diconnected from the source before doing anything inside your tower.

Some components of the motherboard hold an electrical charge even after the power is disconnected. To release this charge... turn computer off. Disconnect the power source. Then press and hold the On button on the front of your tower for 10 seconds. You will probably see some of the lights on the front of the case flicker on then off. There... You've released any power held in capacitance by the motherboard.

When you touch components inside the tower, you body can transfer "static" electricity and that is not good for your computer. Always touch some bare metal part of the tower frame to discharge your static, before manipulating components inside the tower.

Best Regards

We may adjust our sails.

#13 Doug

Doug

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

Looks like you have more than enough help here. I apologize for the extra. Best of luck with this. You'll find that it really is quite simple, and then you'll feel really good that you did it yourself. Alot of people would be too timid to even try. Here's to you :beer:

We may adjust our sails.

#14 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

Thanks alot guys, I think I'll be able to do it now, and if I have any problems I'll come back :)

#15 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:57 AM

Yay, I installed it last night and it works great! Thanks for all the help! It was actually surprisingly easier than I thought it would be :D Thanks again! :D :)

#16 JSanders9

JSanders9

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:24 AM

Actually, Master/Slave refers to jumper pin settings, rather than cable position. If you set a master and a slave then it doesn't really matter which connector on the ribbon you use. If you use Cable Select, then the one on the end is the master and the one in the middle is the slave. Glad you got your DVD working. Enjoy GTA!

#17 par4

par4

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

Yay, I installed it last night and it works great! Thanks for all the help! It was actually surprisingly easier than I thought it would be :D

Thanks again! :D :)

God!

He'll be installing allsorts in there now :lol:

Glad it all went well :beer:

#18 Bear

Bear

Mentally Deficient, Morally Corrupt & Socially Unfit NiceGuy

• Advanced Member
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

Yay, I installed it last night and it works great! Thanks for all the help! It was actually surprisingly easier than I thought it would be :D

Thanks again! :D :)

Now your in trouble you have the bug :P next thing we will see you posting that your building a pc B)

par beat me to it B)
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
George Carlin

Coming Soon My Own Live Streaming Radio Station

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users